Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subsistence Halibut fishing? Really? Why have I never heard of this?

Default Subsistence Halibut fishing? Really? Why have I never heard of this?

Ok, so the wife was talking to some relatives of hers, and they told her to get a subsistence halibut permit.

We had never heard of one, so I did some research. Apparently, certain native groups up here are recognized as traditional users and can indeed get these from NOAA. That's about as much info as I could find out today.

Has anyone ever been through this process? It sounds too good to be true, so I'm trying to find the catch before getting too excited.

If it works out, anyone want to take us halibut fishing??

Check this out. Should give you all the info you need.

http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/ram/...ce/halibut.htm
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Ok, so the wife was talking to some relatives of hers, and they told her to get a subsistence halibut permit.

We had never heard of one, so I did some research. Apparently, certain native groups up here are recognized as traditional users and can indeed get these from NOAA. That's about as much info as I could find out today.

Has anyone ever been through this process? It sounds too good to be true, so I'm trying to find the catch before getting too excited.

If it works out, anyone want to take us halibut fishing??

Send me a pm I may be willing to help ya out. I do it every year as 6 of my friends have SHARC cards and no boat.I have a boat that we use .
    We even put together a full skate longline and tied up 60 gaignons. You should familiarize yourself with the regs and rules as wel as the map of the open zone.
    Where is your wife from as that may determine wheather she is eligible and where she can go to obtain her fish.
    Be careful as subsistence is a touchy subject on this site!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Lots of rules

If you go out after subsistance halibut, only the people with a valid SHARC card can fish. SO if your wife is eligible and you aren't, you get to enjoy the boat ride and fillet a pile of fish when you get home.

Post Read the Regs yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    If you go out after subsistance halibut, only the people with a valid SHARC card can fish. SO if your wife is eligible and you aren't, you get to enjoy the boat ride and fillet a pile of fish when you get home.
    Actually that is not true as my friends have actually read the regs and talked to the guy who wrote them. I can help them catch them and they can trade me halibut for taking them out in my boat.
    Lots of rules though and best looked up on the NOAA site that Muttley kindly put the link to. Also there is a zone and most of Cook inlet is closed to subsistence fishing.
    You must be south of the northwest tip of Hekseth island and there is a closed zone around augustine Island. Basically all state waters are closed.
    Like I said send me a pm if you want to hookup. I have done this many times helping my friends get their fish.

Page 10 gives all Rurally eligible areas...

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/814422/R...libut-Analysis

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default I beg to differ Kasilof

You can take people out on your boat, but you can't fish. Here is the direct quote from the regs.

Subsistence fishing for halibut may be conducted only by persons who qualify for such fishing pursuant to paragraph (g) of this section and who hold a valid subsistence halibut registration certificate in that person's name issued by NMFS
    Trust me on this, I have read the regs, and have talked to the NMFS LEO's at length about this. Any person who takes part in fishing for subsistence halibut must have a valid SHARC card.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll be looking more into (probably call NOAA when I get a little time during the day away from work). My wife is in one of the recognized tribal entities, I already checked that.

Kasilof--Thanks for the offer, and you will hear from me if it sounds like something we can do. This is a busy and short summer for us (I leave for several months mid-August), so we're trying to cram all of our fishing in....lol.

Default its a blast

i've been doing for past 6 years ~ 2 in Juneau then the last 4 years up here out of PWS. I lay 2 skates, one with 20 hooks and the other with 10. Each trip out I tend average 10-12 fish. Last year nailed 3 over 100 on a single trip. Decided to drop 15 hook'r in a prospect spot and ended up 240lb butskie on the her. Talk about fun, pulling up 240 pounds by hand from 40 fathoms.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default I agree with AKBoater

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    You can take people out on your boat, but you can't fish. Here is the direct quote from the regs.

Trust me on this, I have read the regs, and have talked to the NMFS LEO's at length about this. Any person who takes part in fishing for subsistence halibut must have a valid SHARC card.

The guys in both Juneau and Anchorage offices were very clear to me on this. I can have non sharc's on the boat, but they cannot help me in any way. They can't help bait or set or pull the skate in.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Thank you

I'm glad someone else knows that I'm saying.

It's always better to read the regs instead of having a friend who has read the regs.

Default sorry for the confusion

Several years my friends received these green cards in the mail that said SHARC on them from their native corporation, No rules no regs no explanation just a card.
    We looked up the regs online and still had some questions.
    My friend who has a SHARC card spent at least three hours on the phone trying to get someone to try and clarify some of the regs for his brothers and sister all who received cards.
    He finally got ahold of someone who said they could help. My friend asked him how well he knew these regs and he said he was the one who wrote them so he should know.
    I don't remember his name but I will ask my friend frank tonight to see if he remembers who this was. Anyway this guy told us I could help my friends catch their fish as long as they were on the boat and had their cards with them.
    He also clarified some other questions.
    The regs may have changed in the last 3-4 years or so but that is what my friend frank was told at that time by The guy (at NOAA I believe it was) who said he wrote those regs.
    Upon reading them now I see it does say as you stated. I was just going by what I was told by a trusted friend minutes after talking to some official who claimed he wrote all or at least part of the subsistence halibut regs. I was there when the questions were asked but could not hear the other side of the conversation.
    I always strive to be legal in all things in my life I have talked to a coworker less than a week ago who has been subsistence halibut fishing with friends who had sharc cards.He is also doing this and I will let him know what I have found out. I did tell him that keeping his sportfish limit while his friends had subsistence fish on board was illegal and he is no longer going to be doing this.
    Again sorry for the confusion.

Default Now that you mention....

Now that you mention it. I think that the regs did change a few years back.

I had a brown shirt trying to bait me one time with a boat laod of subsistance fish. We had used rod and reel to catch our fish, which could be called sport gear. he kept asking, which halibut were sport caught fish. We kept saying "None, they are all subsistance." He was just waiting for us to say something so he could write us a ticket.

Man, this is all very confusing.

Of course I called at 04:31 and they closed at 4:30...lol.

So, at this point I have no idea if she'd even qualify because she lives in Anchorage now and not her village. Some of the info made it sound like she had to reside in her or another rural area.

Guess I'll try to figure it out next week.

I pray for more enforcement when it comes to subsistence halibut..

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Man, this is all very confusing.

Of course I called at 04:31 and they closed at 4:30...lol.

So, at this point I have no idea if she'd even qualify because she lives in Anchorage now and not her village. Some of the info made it sound like she had to reside in her or another rural area.

Guess I'll try to figure it out next week.
    My friends live in Kenai and anchorage and have the cards. It all depends witch village she came from I believe.
    It is very confusing reading the code of Federal Regulations witch pertain to this.
    My friends mother is from a village on an Island near kodiak the village itself was destroyed in the 64 quake and so no one lives there anymore.I believe that affected why they could get their cards and not live there.
    Of course I have just recently found out there are other tribes around Kenai Soldotna who are eligible.
    They got sent these cards out of the blue and we were struggling to figure this all out that first year. Confusing would be an understatement at that time.
    The real reason I wanted to help my friends is that 2 of them are disabled.
    One has 7 ruptured discs in his back and just had 2 more surgeries this year. His brother could only wish he was that healthy.After 2 car accidents and a recalled seatbelt that failed. Often times after a few fish on the rod and reel they just have to stop fishing and sit down for the rest of the day. That is why we are going to try the longline this year.And bring along the 15 year old nephew for help.
    They love halibut and it is nice to help them feed their families as I own a boat capable of getting to some good Halibut grounds. Doing fewer trips to fill their freezers is one way the card really helps these guys out.
    This reg about not allowing me to help could make it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I pray for more enforcement when it comes to subsistence halibut..
    Why? Is there an over-fishing problem? I find that hard to believe since I've lived here 35 years and never heard of it until this week.

We would probably only take ten or so fish...that's all we need to last a winter with the rest of the salmon and whatnot added. It's not like we'd just go crazy. I'd be more comfortable doing it with a rod and reel, too, because that way we have more control over how many we catch and when to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    My friends live in Kenai and anchorage and have the cards. It all depends witch village she came from I believe.
    It is very confusing reading the code of Federal Regulations witch pertain to this.
    My friends mother is from a village on an Island near kodiak the village itself was destroyed in the 64 quake and so no one lives there anymore.I believe that affected why they could get their cards and not live there.
    Of course I have just recently found out there are other tribes around Kenai Soldotna who are eligible.
    They got sent these cards out of the blue and we were struggling to figure this all out that first year. Confusing would be an understatement at that time.
    The real reason I wanted to help my friends is that 2 of them are disabled.
    One has 7 ruptured discs in his back and just had 2 more surgeries this year. His brother could only wish he was that healthy.After 2 car accidents and a recalled seatbelt that failed. Often times after a few fish on the rod and reel they just have to stop fishing and sit down for the rest of the day. That is why we are going to try the longline this year.And bring along the 15 year old nephew for help.
    They love halibut and it is nice to help them feed their families as I own a boat capable of getting to some good Halibut grounds. Doing fewer trips to fill their freezers is one way the card really helps these guys out.
    This reg about not allowing me to help could make it difficult.
    Heck, I'd volunteer to help just to help and get the experience. I'll try to pin someone down next week during business hours who can thoroughly explain it to me.

I'll let ya'll know what I learn when I learn it.

Smile This thread is a great example...

of how information can be found and tested and discussed and be really helpful. Nice to see how there was some dissention, and how friendly and maturely it was handled and resolved. The forum at its best!!

Wink

Maybe you should ask them if a Native Card Holder not capable of fishing, can Proxy their priveleges to a Non-Native.... Non-Card Holder.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast