Thread: New to Alaska Fishing

Exclamation New to Alaska Fishing

Hello to all,
    I just recently got to Alaska and I am stationed on Fort Richardson. I am a big fishing and hunting guy and I would like to get to know how this fishing up here in Alaska really works. I am a southern boy so all I am used to is those big stripped bass and large mouth. There will be two of us myself and a buddy of mine that are looking to find out to do the fishing up here. So if there is anyone that is interested in helping us out please respond to this thread or PM me on here.

Thanks and Have a Great Day

Default New fellow

We were all new to Alaska fishing at one time or another. If your here, your one of us. I've learned more from this forum than I've given, that's what I think you will find, too.

Welcome, your going to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharness View Post
    Hello to all,
    I just recently got to Alaska and I am stationed on Fort Richardson. I am a big fishing and hunting guy and I would like to get to know how this fishing up here in Alaska really works. I am a southern boy so all I am used to is those big stripped bass and large mouth. There will be two of us myself and a buddy of mine that are looking to find out to do the fishing up here. So if there is anyone that is interested in helping us out please respond to this thread or PM me on here.

Thanks and Have a Great Day
    Yeah, I was new to Alaska fishing about 20 years ago and I had to learn the hard way how to do things. I lost more kings on the Kenai to absolutely stupid mistakes since I didn't have anyone to ask how to do it properly.

Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions you have right here on these forums. Do searches for any subject you might have in mind and if you can't find it just start a new thread asking about it. You will get so many answers your head will spin.

I am MORE than happy to share every bit of knowledge that I have picked up over the years, either here or in a PM. I was "in your boat" so to speak many many years ago and I just love to "pay it forward" to help people that want to learn how to do it learn to do it the right way. If you make it down to Homer at all I'd even be willing to get together with you and give you some "hands on" advice and demonstrations of the methods I use. They may not be what everyone uses, but they work for me.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I would like to make a trip down there with one of my friends to learn the ropes. I looked at your page and was just wondering what would it cost for us to fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tharness View Post
    I would like to make a trip down there with one of my friends to learn the ropes. I looked at your page and was just wondering what would it cost for us to fish?
    If you wanted to go out with me on a charter and see what I do my rates are posted on my website. And I will willingly show you how I do everything and be happy to explain why I do it that way. And also explain why other people do it another way. I don't think "my way" is the only way to do things, so I'd be happy to give you suggestions on any way to do something.

But if you want to come down here with your own boat and just get some "hands on" info from me that would be absolutely no charge. In fact if I had a day off I'd be happy to go out with you and help you out just to get you started. I believe Ft. Rich has rental boats you can use, and if they do that might always be an option.

[QUOTE=But if you want to come down here with your own boat and just get some "hands on" info from me that would be absolutely no charge. In fact if I had a day off I'd be happy to go out with you and help you out just to get you started. I believe Ft. Rich has rental boats you can use, and if they do that might always be an option.[/QUOTE]

WOW. That's pretty nice of you Muttley. Not many people would do such a thing. I remember when I frst got stationed up here, it was just sit back and learn for yourself kind of atitude. But now, I'm like you. I'll take anyone out and teach them what I know too. Alaska is a great place with lots of options to have fun. Fishing is my place to be.

Tharness, if you have any question, just PM me too.

Rob

Default Ft Rich?

I believe Ft. Rich has rental boats you can use, and if they do that might always be an option.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me directions where this is?

Default Nice responses here...

And "Tharness" is on his way to his next and probably best fishing adventure. I would advise to go out on a charter or a knowledgable friends boat first before you rent a boat and try to go out in the ocean 'cold turkey' Lots to learn about a lot of things besides the fishing, especially if you go out in Cook Inlet with one of the world's biggest tides!

I'll PM you, I grew up in the South!

Default I guess you have to be a regular member...

to get a PM (Private Message). So, I wasted a bunch of time typing a message to Tharness. Email me, Tharness at rmahoney@uidaho.edu and lets talk about adapting 9lb bass skills to a 250 lb. halibut

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    I believe Ft. Rich has rental boats you can use, and if they do that might always be an option.

Can you give me directions where this is?[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately no. I just have heard that it's an option. I've never even been on Ft. Rich so I don't know. There must be someone here that knows, or some sort of information on Ft. Rich you could access.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Unfortunately no. I just have heard that it's an option. I've never even been on Ft. Rich so I don't know. There must be someone here that knows, or some sort of information on Ft. Rich you could access.
    MWR is where you want to call.

LINK
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Cap,
    Sorry it took so long to write you back spending the weekend time with my family. I would love to join you on your trip if you do have a open seat or two. Toward the end of the month I will make sure to get in touch with you but I will keep in touch through out the time being. I am really thankful for the offer. What kind of fishing gear would I need? All I have is a a catfish rod and I have a bass / brim pole. I know that I have to get my fishing licenses. Once again sorry it took so long to write back.