Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 mag again

Default 41 mag again

I have been looking for a Redhawk in 41 mag for a while now but the prices are scarry. Today a new in the box unfired S&W 657-5 shows up at the shop and it can be mine for way less than I can get a RedHawk for.

Since I already have RedHawk on the brain will I be dissapointed or unsatisfied with the Smith? I Have images of the screws all shooting loose like my 686 did years ago. Is that still an issue? I haven't bought a Smith since they kissed the governments but a few years ago!

I would just get the smith and have fun.

I noticed you have been getting quite few new guns lately. I thought you were selling most of your guns and moving on to attend to family issues. Hopefully, things are better now for you and your family.

I have a 657. It hasn't shot loose yet. I like mine a lot! So do those few people I've let shoot it.

As I've said before: I don't think I can see .019", but the holes in the cylinder of a .41 on a N frame look perfect to me.

My .41 mag is an old Blackhawk 3-screw. i love it, but it would be SWEET in a Redhawk! I couldn't find a .41 mag in a Redhawk so ended up with a .44mag. Now I'm looking for someone wanting to trade off a .45 colt Redhawk. What the heck is it about the Redhawks?

S&W's are fine guns. I just like the Rugers better in this instance. And i like that the cylinder stops are off the thin part of the walls. No, it probably doesn't really make any difference, but I like to use it in arguments with my friends. lol

I've yet to own an N-frame Smith that I regretted!
    If you REALLY want to push the 41 mag beyond published loads on a regular basis then wait for a RH.
    If not, I'd grab the Smith. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ruger fan. BUT, the S&W N-frames are sweet guns.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I would just get the smith and have fun.

I noticed you have been getting quite few new guns lately. I thought you were selling most of your guns and moving on to attend to family issues. Hopefully, things are better now for you and your family.
    I attended to those family issues! I came out of retirement and went back to work! Now I'm my own boss from 6am-2pm. The 4 days thus far this week my 6am -2pm shift has involved wiring a 90,000 square foot soy plant for phones and DSL/internet. At 2:00 I jump in the shower at 2:30pm-8:30pm I go to work for the local school district doing anything and everything from working on the paging and phones to replacing a pressure switch on a boiler control compressor. At 8:30 I come home and eat supper and maybe get a little release by screwing around on this forum then its to bed so I can do it again tomorrow.

While were at it I might as well just let it all hang out! I not only just worked 4 consecutive 14 hours days. I did so while taking 60 mg of Prednizone, 40 mg of Bactrim and who knows how many pain pills to cope with the head aches caused by ?????? Google those meds...you'll figure it out!

Seant, since you now have your ducks in a row in regards to me buying guns in relation to the well being of my family! Is it OK if I take the $1000 dollar check from the soy plant and spend about half of it on that 41 mag?

What was your purpose?

Wow that was pretty sharp.

I think his point was he was hoping your family situation had improved.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have been looking for a Redhawk in 41 mag for a while now but the prices are scarry. Today a new in the box unfired S&W 657-5 shows up at the shop and it can be mine for way less than I can get a RedHawk for.

Since I already have RedHawk on the brain will I be dissapointed or unsatisfied with the Smith? I Have images of the screws all shooting loose like my 686 did years ago. Is that still an issue? I haven't bought a Smith since they kissed the governments but a few years ago!

S&W went through a period where there were problems with their revolvers. I owned a few of the "bad" ones. I presently have 2 M-19's, 2 M-29's, 2 M-57's and 1 M-357. I realy like these revolvers they are very accurate and I have experienced zero problems with them.

A M-657 or 657 is an excellent firearm in a very good caliber. I realy like the 41 mag

Buy the Smith & Wesson and don't look back. Last night as I was cleaning some guns after a session I counted 19 S&W revolvers in the safe, the vast majority N-frames. Nary a problem with any of them. Plus the Smith is a lot more "svelte" than the Ruger.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Wow that was pretty sharp.

I think his point was he was hoping your family situation had improved.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Well then maybe I took it wrong!

My take was how can you afford to be buying guns with the family issues going on.... you were just liquidating a couple of years ago? Kind of like are my priorities being in question in regards to guns and family!

If I took it wrong then I'm very sorry.

I need to pack the bags on the bike and just go blow the stink off for a while......think I will!

Sorry guys!

EKC,

No ill will intended on my behalf. I just remember a thread awhile back when you let everyone know that you had to move on to attend to family issues.

I just noticed you were having fun with several new projects, and thought maybe things worked out for you and your family.

Good luck with your new 41.

Sean

Sean, Sorry man! You deserved the benefit of the doubt and didn't get it. I have no hard feelings towards you but will be kicking myself in the keester for a while for being so thin skinned! I know better than to act like that.

I took a supper break tonight and went out to the shop to pick up the 41. This is a consignment gun and I was going to take it for the low dollar, however another guy was looking at it and didn't know the low dollar amount and consequently he made an offer that trumped mine by $100. Had the gun been a 6 incher rather than 7.5 I might have upped the anti a little but the extra inch and a half made it just a tad muzzle heavy. So I'm looking again.

I kinda left everyone hanging in regards to the head aches. The test show something in my noggin where it ought not to be. I go back to University Hospitals in Iowa City in two weeks and they're going to get it out of there via my nose(I think). Prayers are welcomed!

Sean, Sorry man! You deserved the benefit of the doubt and didn't get it. I have no hard feelings towards you but will be kicking myself in the keester for a while for being so thin skinned! I know better than to act like that.

I took a supper break tonight and went out to the shop to pick up the 41. This is a consignment gun and I was going to take it for the low dollar, however another guy was looking at it and didn't know the low dollar amount and consequently he made an offer that trumped mine by $100. Had the gun been a 6 incher rather than 7.5 I might have upped the anti a little but the extra inch and a half made it just a tad muzzle heavy. So I'm looking again.

I kinda left everyone hanging in regards to the head aches. The test show something in my noggin where it ought not to be. I go back to University Hospitals in Iowa City in two weeks and they're going to get it out of there via my nose(I think). Prayers are welcomed!
    EKC,

Apology accepted. Don't worry about it, I didn't think it was that big of a deal anyways.

Good luck with your procedure. I hope that you have a quick and uneventful recovery.

Sincerely,

Sean

Good luck with your medical.

My 657 has the 6". It balances just right for me. Hope you find another one soon.

I'm pulling for you EKC, prayers sent, hang in there! It will be as it's meant to be so try not to stress too bad about it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Praying for you EKC!

Prayers are welcomed!
    And are going out! But I also have good faith already that it will work out!
    Probably a Grand Canyon trip would be good therapy/recovery. Crank up the cowboy tunes on the tourvan. Golf/shoot/etc.
    Anytime Bro!

Praying for you EKC!

I'd be happy to meet anyone from this forum in person, but there are a few I really hope to meet someday. You, EKC, are one of those. I will certainly be praying for you.

Default Just do it!

I have spent probably $60,000 on my house since Dec. and I am now in the middle of moving my cabin and putting it on a foundation. During that time I have probably bought 11 guns and a couple I gave to my son,, 1 a Kimber 45 and the other a pre-war colt 38 in pristine condition. I say just do it. The wife is happy with the awesome kitchen and total refurb. and I have some more guns for my pile. JUST DO IT! ,(Oh yeah Granson #4 got my 1906 winchester 22 pump). JUST DO IT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast