Thread: Slow...but partner bagged 1st bear

Thumbs up Slow...but partner bagged 1st bear

We had a couple hits around the 10th to 12th of May. One griz one black. The griz has not come back, good for us.
    My partner went in last Wednesday the 19th to drop bait, no expectations. He walked in on a blackie that was in our stand, literally standing on the platform we built. All he had was a .357 with hard cast bullets, so he let him have it. It ran up the tree and he kept shooting till it dropped. He had his first bear on the ground, shot with a handgun! He had hit it pretty good the first two shots and didnt need to fire the last rounds. He did call me and said he was a wee bit nervous to be cutting up fresh meat at twilight and no ammo left. At the time we did not know that the grizz had moved on.

We had one picture of a bear on the camera the next morning, but nothing since.

Is our lack of hits due to warm weather or the carcass that is still in the area?

Pictures attached......from the next day when we went back to pick it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats...not a situation I would want to be in, but you did a fine job!

Thats way cool. Congrats to your buddy, and Im jealous. Im trying to get a bear with the 45-70 ( done ) my .44 pistol and a bow this year, now Im stoked to give the . 44 a try as soon as my bud gets his bear.