Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: womens holster?

Default womens holster?

I would like to order my wife a holster for her Kimber ultra carry II 1911. I want something that will work well for fishing and backpacking. I am thinking about just picking up a belt holster but would like to get a good idea of what others are using. I like to carry mine on my chest but I am not sure how well that would work with those lady specific features already occupying much of that real estate.

I guess I could order her a couple different holsters if needed too so I am open to opinions.

The expert in Womens carry issues is right here:

http://corneredcat.com/

You may be able to email her and she has a section on holsters too. She is a cool lady and I hope to have her up here to train women as soon as I can arrange it

Any time I get a new gun I always buy a cheap Uncle Mike's or Blackhawk holster to wear for a few weeks so that I know exactly what I like and what I don't like before I spend big bucks on something nice. This helps me know exactly what I'm looking for, and sometimes I even like the cheap one so much that I never spend more on anything else.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I like to carry mine on my chest but I am not sure how well that would work with those lady specific features already occupying much of that real estate.

OK Jon..... Yeah yeah.... IT"S for the wife
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

wolfwatching

Shoulder holster.. I always keep my heat on my belt but am figuring out that an underarm draw would be the most beneficial if carrying a pack etc..If you hike a lot or ride a horse a belt holster rubs you raw with hips..Just my opinion..

I would like to order my wife a holster for her Kimber ultra carry II 1911. I want something that will work well for fishing and backpacking. I am thinking about just picking up a belt holster but would like to get a good idea of what others are using. I like to carry mine on my chest but I am not sure how well that would work with those lady specific features already occupying much of that real estate.

I guess I could order her a couple different holsters if needed too so I am open to opinions.

I'll ask DW what she thinks and see if she has anything to add.

Unless a belt holster can attach to the hip belt of her backpacking ruck, I think that is out for carrying while backpacking. If it can, then a crossdraw might make sense. Both Kathy at CorneredCat and Mas Ayoob (he has two daughters) reccomend that style.

I would NOT suggest a tactical thigh drop holster. While it keeps it out of the way of a backpack hip belt, I found that it chafes against the leg while walking any distance.

A guide holster or shoulder holster may work, but see if she can try one on first with her backpacking ruck.

The final solution that comes to mind is some sort of off-body carry. Maybe a pocket holster tucked into a water bottle pocket on her ruck or a CCW fanny pack securely attached to the shoulder strap.

for those activities, a chest holster. I got a good one at northern security supply on old seward for my .44 revolver. i took it to 5th ave boot company further south on old seward and they cut it and resewed it, as it was built for a 6 in not 4 in barrel.

don't you have one of those bino chest harnesses? for that size kimber, it should fit nicely in there. maybe buy her one of those?

good luck...

Default Have you considdered a shoulder holster

I have been using one for years. though I'm not a woman, the proximity and ease of access , do make it much more comfortable to carry for long periods of time . I do like the chest pack Idea, adjusted correctly might ride just under the breasts , but adding more weight in front may not be comfortable for some.
    I like my shoulder holster too because it helps hold my belt up on my pants . Depending on the event the supporting material can be reconfigured either louping one arm and crossing the back, or bringing one of the straps across the chest, making a tighter fit, if i need it.
    I plan on making a new one for a diffrent gun out of ballistic nylon , it breathes better than leather and is lighter and more flexable, and easier to sew. Where applicable an aluminum or stainless plate can be sandwitched in the holster base to hold a shape while empty, to ease re entry. I have used an alice pack for years and use the quick release to get it off, and have had no serious conflict with the shoulder holster so far.

have you tried blade tech holter company website or i make a suggestion about a cross draw set up for her ..a lot of women do fine with a crossdraw holster system because of the way the body is bult and there hips are design a diff from men ..so try out a couple of the police uniform shops in the ares for diff holster set up for her to use ..

also try Galco has a nice women selection of holster for women to wear.. also talk to blade tech about a semi custom design of there holster.

Thanks for all the info. Does Diamond D make concealed carry holsters? I am going to send her somewhere to get set up this week. After reading through the holster section on the link wildwest provided it seems far better for her to go and get fitted.

Interesting I had already posted this thread but after today the priority has changed from outdoors to concealed carry:

Some punks nearly took out my wife and kids with their car on beer run today and after she yelled at them over it (momma bear) they decided it was 'OK" to follow her home and confront her in our driveway. Normally at the door they would be met with enough fire power to send a swat team back to the truck to reorganize but she was unarmed and caught in the open. Ultimately they left with no major conflict but the whole situation could have been very bad. That and now I have to worry about some punks fueling the fire w/ a night of drinking and deciding to go back and "teach her a lesson".

jwolf

LuJon, Sorry that happened to your wife and that is some scary s*it.. Under the console and one in the purse.. always! Kudos to “mama bear,” don’t put up w/ those punks s*i*..!

Thanks for all the info. Does Diamond D make concealed carry holsters? I am going to send her somewhere to get set up this week. After reading through the holster section on the link wildwest provided it seems far better for her to go and get fitted.

Interesting I had already posted this thread but after today the priority has changed from outdoors to concealed carry:

Some punks nearly took out my wife and kids with their car on beer run today and after she yelled at them over it (momma bear) they decided it was 'OK" to follow her home and confront her in our driveway. Normally at the door they would be met with enough fire power to send a swat team back to the truck to reorganize but she was unarmed and caught in the open. Ultimately they left with no major conflict but the whole situation could have been very bad. That and now I have to worry about some punks fueling the fire w/ a night of drinking and deciding to go back and "teach her a lesson".

If you can find a holster that a well-endowed woman can use while backpacking, please please please let me know! I cannot figure anything out except for off-body carry.

When I conceal carry, I use a belly-band set up for modified appendix carry. If I'm open carrying, I love my blackhawk serpa.

Talking womens holster?

Call Dave @ Diamond D your one and only stop!!!

I would like to order ... a holster for ... ultra carry II 1911. I want something that will work well for fishing and backpacking. I am thinking about just picking up a belt holster but would like to get a good idea of what others are using. I like to carry mine ... with those lady specific features already occupying much of that real estate. ...
    Lujon, I'm entirely shocked by you exit from the closet, but here's an idea: http://www.ladiesguncases.com/produc...roductid=16166

Just kidding!

Sorry.

Sorry about my last post--made before I read this. Hope everything is okay. I had a roughly-similar circumstance occur.

My problem is that my wife, and almost all women, cannot reliably operate the slides on most semi-autos. But revolvers IMO have drawbacks for many people (mothers) who are not really gun aware (I'm, convinced that most accidental shooting are with revolvers). Your wife may be a pleasant exception, but if not, the flip-up barrel Beretta .32 Tomcats are a good option. IMO, women are even less likely to have easily accessible a firearm, unless it's REALLY convenient. Making it work depends on how they dress and what they carry.

It might not work for you, but I got my wife, in some instances, to carry, what I often do: an REI camera case that looks really innocuous. It has a main pouch that has zippers closing down from both sides. Leave it only slightly open, and one can simply pull up on the flap and draw. It fits anything from my Kel-Tec .380 to my Glock 27. And it looks like you are carrying a camera or iPhone or something.

Default Hello

Hi - I am a female - that makes holsters - custom. IWB, OWB and duel. I know that I can help with making holsters for the Kimber - as I have done many of them. I think you would like the products that I have to offer.

I love shooting at the Burma with my family - I currently have a G23 and Taurus 24/7 and also a Sig - I am looking at possibly getting the Judge (that bugger looks as if it will kick major butt and not take names!)

I believe in the 2nd amendment and do not want anyone to have the power to change it.

http://peaceholsters.com

Thanks - Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    My problem is that my wife, and almost all women, cannot reliably operate the slides on most semi-autos.
    ...That's a bit of an assumption, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    ...That's a bit of an assumption, isn't it?
    No. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    No. It's not.
    With proper training even a very weak person (female or limp wrist metro-sexual) can easily and quickly rack a slide. Sure trying to do it the sling shot method seems like the obvious way for a rookie but my wife could not consistently do it that way. We found this method which works very well:

Keeping the pistol close in front of you but pointed in a safe direction. Grasp the slide firmly over the top with your off hand and push the frame forward. During this operation the pistol it pointed about 45 degrees forward and down and only held about 6-8" in front of the body. Keeping it close like that does a couple things. First off it is in the center of her strength zone, arms bent and she can help support the slide holding hand against her side (elbow against hip) since that is the one most likely to slip. The other big benefit is that you aren't waving the unloaded pistol out in front of you where someone may be able to grab it and the whole operation is very quick and subdued. It can be done quickly enough and with minimal motion so that the first clue you have a weapon will likely be the sound of the slide closing on a live round.

I tried to find a good video demonstrating what I am talking about and I found a few that are close but nothing exactly like I am talking about. Most show the weapon pointed straight forward (Safe, I get it) with the overhand slide grasp and you push away. Ergonomically this is requires more strength than keeping the firearm close.

When at a range we make it a point to physically turn in such a way that when racking the slide the muzzle is pointed straight down range. In the field the important thing is getting a round in the chamber efficiently. Perhaps I will need to do a video w/ the wife and post it up one of these days.

With proper training even a very weak person (female or limp wrist metro-sexual) can easily and quickly rack a slide. Sure trying to do it the sling shot method seems like the obvious way for a rookie but my wife could not consistently do it that way. We found this method which works very well:

Keeping the pistol close in front of you but pointed in a safe direction. Grasp the slide firmly over the top with your off hand and push the frame forward. During this operation the pistol it pointed about 45 degrees forward and down and only held about 6-8" in front of the body. Keeping it close like that does a couple things. First off it is in the center of her strength zone, arms bent and she can help support the slide holding hand against her side (elbow against hip) since that is the one most likely to slip. The other big benefit is that you aren't waving the unloaded pistol out in front of you where someone may be able to grab it and the whole operation is very quick and subdued. It can be done quickly enough and with minimal motion so that the first clue you have a weapon will likely be the sound of the slide closing on a live round.

I tried to find a good video demonstrating what I am talking about and I found a few that are close but nothing exactly like I am talking about. Most show the weapon pointed straight forward (Safe, I get it) with the overhand slide grasp and you push away. Ergonomically this is requires more strength than keeping the firearm close.

When at a range we make it a point to physically turn in such a way that when racking the slide the muzzle is pointed straight down range. In the field the important thing is getting a round in the chamber efficiently. Perhaps I will need to do a video w/ the wife and post it up one of these days.
    This sounds pretty useful. And it may work very well. I would like to see the video. In my experience so far, I could not come of with something that allowed the women in my family, past girlfiends, and women Marines to rack the slide quickly and reliably and in a manner I felt good about under pressure. In other words, I like someone to be able to have far more strength than necessary to perform a critical action when they may be doing it under highly-stressful and time-sensitive circumstances. That's why I just keep my guns with as round in the chamber--so she does not need to cycle the slide. They're in several fancy finger-pad-combo safes in my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast