Thread: Chumsicles

Default Chumsicles

I've been reading about and thinking about guys' ideas on halibut chumming lately. So I went to Value Village (thrift store) to look for a used food processor, picked up a brand new meat grinder for $20 - score!

Brought back some cod spines and bellies for the grinder (and heads to soak) and ground it up last night. It handled the meat and skin beautifully, so-so on the bones, but never clogged up. Turns out to be a great investment methinks. Added some rice, mixed it up, and stuffed zip-locs to freeze.

Plan to hang one from the anchor in a mesh chum bag (minus the ziploc) next weekend. Can't wait! Didn't need chum this weekend, but you can't count on being lucky enough to drop on their heads!

Will post results when I get them. Will be a most-assuredly unscientific report, but you get what you pay for!

Chris

Thumbs up Chumnsicles

try adding some salmon parts(legal ones) or hooligans or parts of whatever is running at the time of year you are fishing. leftover herring bait works good too.
    I also like to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of herring oil per gallon of chum just to make a nice slick down there.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Grab a big sponge and add alot of herring oil. A pillow case has always worked for me, as far as the bag goes. The mesh size seems about right. Too much scent isn't given off and it works for hours on end.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

the crazy things people do to catch halibut

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Grab a big sponge and add alot of herring oil. A pillow case has always worked for me, as far as the bag goes. The mesh size seems about right. Too much scent isn't given off and it works for hours on end.
    I prefer panty hose. About $.10 a pair at the thrift shop when my buddy bought some.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I like the pillow case because I can stuff thirty pounds of crap in there and nothing rips. I usually grab one of my girlfriend's old pillow cases= free
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly