Thread: First Bear

Default First Bear

We hit the bait station on the 17th during the afternoon to restock and scared a black off when we came in. I knew it would be a good hunt. That evening my partner and I went back in to hunt and spooked another bear off, it was another nice sized bear and I was itching to shoot it. We looked it over for a few minutes and I decided to pass on it since I really wanted to hunt from the stand. When I got into the stand I realized there were two more bears coming in from behind us, they made it to the barrel and one had just started eating when the bear I had passed on came in and ran them off. My partner thought about taking it when a larger boar started working his way in. He gave a little charge and the other bears scattered, it was then I decided to take this bear and let my buddy know. I let the blackie settle in then squeezed off my muzzle loader. He let out a holler and took off, then I saw his legs go up in the air as he rolled and I knew he was done. Of course when we found him, he had fallen off a bank into the creek, so the current helped me as I drug him downstream. We were able to clean him on the bank and drag the meat and hide out in a sled. Anyway I'm thrilled to get a bear since the meat is so tasty and my wife has been wanting a rug. He was about 6 foot and the skull was 18". I have to say "thanks" all who helped make this hunt happen!

Nice a muzzy shot bear to boot thats even better. Way to go dude and congrats on a fine bear and rug for the wife.

Awesome job! I dont know that I could have waited the first time!