Thread: New best friend

Default New best friend

I have carried a Springfield 1911 for about the past 25 years and loved it. It has a match grade barrel and both of us work well together. But...

The other day I got Sig 226 in 40 cal. It is nearly my newest best friend. The double action and the de-cocker make it safer (in my opion) than the 1911. It shoots nearly as accurate at the 1911. Recoil is less and therefore faster on target. The night sights are great. Holds more rounds. Now if I only knew how it preformed on a bad guy.

Darn nice pistol and I really, really like it. J.

The 40S&W is a very formidable caliber carried by many PD's.

Excellent choice, my friend. Here's mine (it's a 9mm)...

Ya kinda got me feeling sorry for the Springfield! Guns have feelings too ya know.

Maybe if you let em bunk together they'll become pals!

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    It shoots nearly as accurate at the 1911.
    J, please don't shoot AT your old 1911! Send it to me...I'll give it a good home.
    (I know...corny joke, but someone had to do it).

Default My only thing is

why you think the Sig is safer than a 1911. The only thing unsafe about any properly made gun is the shooter, not necessarily you, of course.

Thanks for the comments.

On the safer part, the public gets a bit nervous when they see the 1911 in the holster with the hammer back and not knowing if the safety of on or off. So I prefer to carry it with the hammer down. To get it down means it has to be lowered manually. The decocker with the Sig does this without human error. Feel free to disagree but that is how I see it.

And no, I did not shoot the Sig at my 1911. They do bunk together but I only carry one at a time; no Gen. Patton here. I still love shooting the 1911 but carry the Sig.

Best to each of you. J.

I've been carrying a Sig P239 for many years. It's never failed in well over 2000 rds now with a .40 S&W barrel, 357Sig barrel(my fav) and a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel. Pick your poison.

My P220 outshoots every 1911 model it's seen. Not bragging, just stating facts.

IMO, the DA/SA type pistol is a perfect carry system. Change your springs every 1000 rds and keep it "wet". Your P226 will serve you well.

YMMV.