Thread: Anchor, Deep, or Ninilchik

Default Anchor, Deep, or Ninilchik

Which is the best river to launch my zodiac in the river to fish in the salt for Kings and Butts?

Am thinking of putting in about 3 hours before high and pull out within 3 hours after.......

Default Ninilchik...

is my choice between Dp Drk and Ninilchik. Ninilchik requires a high tide of 17 to launch off a normal trailer. Saturdays tide is 18.7 in aftrnn, Sunday 18.2, Monday 17.6. That should be enough time to get in on Sat-Sun with 2 hrs either side of slack. Monday i think less than that. The trick is to be at the launch b4 high tide and take note of how soon b4 tide book says is high tide, u can launch. That will be the amount of time AFTER high tide slack that u will have to get back to launch site. Ninny has not had the canal dredged yet as of last nite, but the dozers are there to it. I suspect they will try to get the river mouth opened (for the comm. red boats in harbor) done before this wkend.(hope). Ninny has a harbor. Deep crk does not. If I get back to Ninny too late, I pick my Achilles up right at the river mouth (southside) next to the rocks. On the other hand, if u launch at Dp Crk and come in too late, u can at last resort have the tractor launch rescue u.
    I have not launched at Anchor before. Hope that helps.......

Charterboat Operator

why not launch it off the beach? Either drive down to the waters edge and unload it, or if you use launch wheel simply drag it down on them. You dont have to wait for the tide, although launching on an incomming and retrieving on an ebb is the best way, and can stay out fishing longer.
    just a thought, if you are planning on doing it this weekend, there will be probably 10-15 others doing it at deep creek, anchor and whisky gulch for you to watch and observe as to how to do it.

have fun!

Default excellant point..

Bender, For those of us who have somewhat heavier rafts, to launch off a ramp is such a huge help. I still launch off the beach on occasion (used to all the time) but sometimes it turns into a circus that my wife hates. It is a huge benefit to know there are other folks around to help like this wk end, but usually i'm fishing when noone is around. As we all know its tough to launch/load off a trailer when the waves are pounding and to be out of that and launch like one can off the ramps is awsome in comparison.

Charterboat Operator

agree on the heavy raft part, i used to have a 16' bonair, we called it the GREY WHALE, but still fairly easy off the beach. at least it allows you to fish the tides longer. really good idea we used to do, was make the trailer into a 3 wheeler. took an old atv tire made a little frame and put a ball on top of it, clicked it into the toung of the trailer. you could push the boat down to the water, most of the time. but retrieving was cool cause you could push the empty trailer into the water, float the raft onto it and then hook a rope onto it and pull it up without ever putting the truck on the beach.
    sorry getting way off topic!

I don't know about Deep Creek or Ninilchik, but Anchor now has a "beach access launch" just before the parking area for the tractor launch. I haven't used it but it looks as though it would be a good place to launch from. And there's also the beach at Whiskey Gulch Access. I see a lot of people launching there. And to get to the fishing you just motor out about 100 yards and you're there. I caught a little jack and a 15 pounder (released both) up by the Stariski south marker this morning. It's spotty, but there are kings around. Lots of halibut, too. Caught two of them trolling.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com