Thread: Upper chena river

Default Upper chena river

Floating the chena this weekend in my 16' cat with 4 people and 2 dogs. Has anyone floated recently, river is pretty low in town.

Quote Originally Posted by akcharlie4 View Post
    Floating the chena this weekend in my 16' cat with 4 people and 2 dogs. Has anyone floated recently, river is pretty low in town.
    I haven't yet, but itís a great river to float. What section are you hitting up? The river is low, but you should be fine, especially from Rose hip to town. Above that, there will be some skinny sections. Iíve been on the Chena and Salcha with my boat this year, and they are both a little low. Fishing has been good, take a rod! Let us know how it goes.

If the river is real low, i was thinking of floating from rosehip to the dam. Otherwise I will float the upper to grange hall road. Does anyone have float times for these?

A friend and I may run up from the dam tonight to do a little fishing. I'll report back what we find, if it's good we're hoping to take the family up for a little camping & fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by akcharlie4 View Post
    If the river is real low, i was thinking of floating from rosehip to the dam. Otherwise I will float the upper to grange hall road. Does anyone have float times for these?
    You can do Rose hip to grange in a day if I remember right. Rose Hip to flood control is an over nighter, unless you want to bust serious butt. We did from North Fork to flood control one year, that was in like 3-4 days. I believe you can get float time maps, I've seen them, just don't remember where. Look up chena river state rec web page.

Default Little Late Sorry

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chena/river.htm

Remeber this is for a canoe and not a raft or cataraft. You will have to add hours to your trip once your below Rose Hip floating anything but a canoe.

thanks for the info. we are on our way now