Thread: 45 Long Colt for bear?

Default 45 Long Colt for bear?

Would a gun chambered in 45LC be good for bear protection? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. I'm thinking about getting a polamer Judge Public Defender for an all around ligt weight gun.

The 45 colt is good in a good gun,the Judge is not it. Lots of good field guns in the 45colt like Ruger,S&W. The Judge is more for urban work like Houston or NYC at car window ranges.

45 Colt can match 44mag in a good gun but like Will says the Judge isn't up to it. A 45/410 sounds great but the Judge is next to useless as a field gun because it has poor accuracy with 45 and very poor pattern through the rifled barrel with 410s. You can get a good 45 Colt that will shoot good bear ammo and use 45 Colt shot rounds that will do as good as a 410 does from a Judge.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Most reloading manuals have two sets of standards in regards tho the 45 Colt. One set of loads for light weight framed guns/cowboy replicas etc. Then there are the "bear" loads but the 2 reloading manuals sitting on this desk both say these heavy loads are for Thompson Center and Ruger only. They don't even recommend these loads for anything else!

I wonder if I would buy a S&W in a S&W .500 frame if they offered it? I somehow don't feel like the Lone Ranger in this desire. So much more can and has been done with the .45 Colt. the biggest limiting factor has been the revolvers that have been available for this potentially potent round. I have thought about making my own cylinders for this round but just didn't want to fool around with it. Maybe If I was twenty years younger it would have been a go.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Darn...lost my post again. I'm not sure what you're trying to say Big Al. If you want to shoot .45 in the X-Frame, why not just buy a .460?

Here's a link to some of John Linebaugh's writings. His article, The .45 Colt- Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Potential clears up a lot of misconceptions about the Colt. Heavyweight Bullets has lots of information too and includes .45 Colt data. I printed both out and put them in my .45 Colt load data binder.

I'm of the opinion that if Elmer Keith would have had stronger revolvers chambered in .45 Colt to conduct his experiments with, he would never have experimented with the .44 Special and the .44 Magnum as we know it would never have seen the light of day.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings.htm
    Now what ?

Default I just recently saw the gun I want

Ruger I think , makes a .45 colt convertable to .45 acp
    One cylinder to plink with one cylinder to hunt with , how cool is that .

My folks sent me some money after I'd earned my first college degree...I think my Mother was relieved I'd finally got my life on track! I took that $ and sent in my Ruger and had a .45 acp cylinder fitted for it; couldn't buy it all together at that time. I've never shot the .45 acp in the gun. When it's time to plink with it I just down load.

The answer to the original post is.... "Yes but".... As others have stated, you need the right gun to be able to get the full potential out of the 45 Colt. Modern revolvers with strong cylinders and frames like the Rugers, BFR's, FA, etc. But NOT the New Model Vaquero. Original Vaqueros are okay and of course BH, SBH, SRH (454) and RH. I load a 355gr WFN Cast that is about 1150fps out of my 4" Redhawk and 1200ish out of my 7.5 inch Blackhawk and 1400+ out of my 20" levergun. Anyway, point is, a 335-360gr .45 cast boolit at 1100-1200 fps will penetrate like crazy.

Hopefully I'll get a shot at a blackie over bait with the SBH. I am totally confident in my 45 Colt loads and guns. They shoot a big hunk of lead and are very accurate. Many other have gone down this road before us and will say the same. The 45 Colt loaded to it's potential in modern revolvers is a great hunting/bear load.

At this point I don't really see a need for the 45 acp load either, personally. 200-255gr with 8-9gr Unique is a great plinkin load.