Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bug dope

Default bug dope

Last summer I had a wierd and scary reaction to a popular deet based bug dope. Symptoms included slowed heart rate, cold to the point of shivering on a hot day and generally falling into a kind of stupor. I kind of figured it out after the symptoms appeared two days in a row, about an hour after putting the stuff on. After living, working and playing in the bush for over about 35 years and splashing lots of deet on, I have to find something else, so I'm looking for ideas and experiences.

My experience is that there is no viable substitute for Deet when the bugs are at their worst. I have tried lots of supposedly substitutes, and all has dismal results. I will be watching this thread closely, to see if someone has the medicine.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    My experience is that there is no viable substitute for Deet when the bugs are at their worst. I have tried lots of supposedly substitutes, and all has dismal results. I will be watching this thread closely, to see if someone has the medicine.
    Get a ThermaCELL they are the greatest invention since homemade ice cream.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    Last summer I had a wierd and scary reaction to a popular deet based bug dope. Symptoms included slowed heart rate, cold to the point of shivering on a hot day and generally falling into a kind of stupor. I kind of figured it out after the symptoms appeared two days in a row, about an hour after putting the stuff on. After living, working and playing in the bush for over about 35 years and splashing lots of deet on, I have to find something else, so I'm looking for ideas and experiences.
    Sounds like anaphylactic shock.

I would look at other ingredients in the spray rather than deet itself.

DEET has very very low reports of causing anything other than skin irritation....not saying it wasn't the deet that caused your reaction but historically it is the other ingredients in the spray causing that type of reaction.

I spent some time with one of the local nurses and we checked this out. I did not have an anaphalactic reaction. That was my first thought and hers as well. My wife has blackfly allergies so I've had some experience with anaphalaxis. Some research on the net has information from reliable sources that describe my reaction to a tee. It is rare but it happens. I got through the rest of last summer with the power of positive thinking and a headnet for reserve. As I said, I'm just looking for alternatives. I'll check out Thermacell.

I second the ThermaCell sugestion. Although I haven't used it on Alaska bugs, it will be with me on my hunt this fall. I used mine all spring turkey and mushroom hunting, had no problem with skeeters, flies, or ticks. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    I second the ThermaCell sugestion. Although I haven't used it on Alaska bugs, it will be with me on my hunt this fall. I used mine all spring turkey and mushroom hunting, had no problem with skeeters, flies, or ticks. Knute
    They work, the main thing with them is you can't get the butane cylinders on a commercial airline so you have to make sure you have a source of them at your hunt destination.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Get a ThermaCELL they are the greatest invention since homemade ice cream.
    Yup

They're the only thing I've found to work well at all on holding off gnats, whitesocks, and blackflies.
    Nice Marmot.

I'll third the Thermacell, its a lifesaver, no more spraying on that nasty stuff on your skin. I'll never go into mosquito country without mine.

This is something new that has come out,

www.off.com/coupon

Dont know if the page will come up, if not go to www.off.com

A clip on would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    They work, the main thing with them is you can't get the butane cylinders on a commercial airline so you have to make sure you have a source of them at your hunt destination.

Just another good reason to make the adventurous drive all the way from Kansas.

I use the Ben's 100% DEET when things get bad but will NOT put it directly on my skin. I have an old surplus boonie hat and will soak the brim of that, and may carefully treat the wrists of a long sleeve shirt or a bandanna if necessary.

I try to keep the 100% DEET away from skin and synthetic fabrics (I've seen it damage stuff like GoreTex).

So maybe a strategy like that can work for you -- rather than applying directly to skin, put it in a hat and bandanna? That way you get the benefits of DEET without the irritation and adverse reactions.

Also, given your rather unusual side affects, you may want to mention it to your doctor next time you're in for a checkup... I've seen rashes, skin irritation, and other local reactions to DEET but something like you describe seems unusual.

Avon sell a product called "Skin So Soft". Citronella oil seems to be the reason it keeps the bugs away. This was years ago and since then it is in a spray bottle marketed for bug protection. NO DEET!

I just googled Avon skin so soft, The product line has expanded for bug protection. Did not look very long, lots of reviews.
    Years ago my wife mailed a case to brothers n law marine squad down south. They were very happy wiith product.

NO, I DO NOT SELL AVON.............................................. ............

For the last couple years I've been using a Cutter product that contains Picaridin instead of DEET with pretty good results. Also Sawyer's has a permitherin based clothing treatment that works well.
    Now what ?

My wife likes this stuff. I just use deet or none at all.

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-pro...repellent.html

I had to give up Deet after developing a severe sensitivity to it. I have switched to Cutter Advanced with picardin. I've had no reactions and it works almost as good as Deet. The Cutter Adv is also safer for synthetics and plastic sunglass lenses.

I also agree with the ThermaCell. I've used it and a light amount of picardin to avoid the few that come around. I'll donate blood on my terms, not the mosquitoes'.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've had GOOD results using

REPEL, Plant Based LEMON EUCALYPTUS, insect repellent.

It's available in stores, locally, if you look hard enough.

(I prefer it to DEET based repellents, and any of the other, so-called Natural insect repellents, I've tried, and that's a lot.)

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategori...monEucalyptus/

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Tell your doctor what you told us. This doesn't sound like a typical reaction to deet. Given your years of usage, I almost guarantee that this was not related to deet exposure. Although you associate the timing of the deet being applied with the events that unfolded, I would suspect that it was the activity you engaged in that brought on the problem. The condition you describe is bradycardia and that caused everything else you experienced. You and your doctor need to find the underlying cause of the bradycardia. Below are some of the more common causes...

■Degeneration of heart tissue related to aging
    ■Damage to heart tissues from heart disease or heart attack
    ■High blood pressure (hypertension)
    ■Heart disorder present at birth (congenital heart defect)
    ■Infection of heart tissue (myocarditis)
    ■A complication of heart surgery
    ■Underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)
    ■Imbalance of electrolytes, mineral-related substances necessary for conducting electrical impulses
    ■Obstructive sleep apnea, the repeated disruption of breathing during sleep
    ■Inflammatory disease, such as rheumatic fever or lupus
    ■Hemochromatosis, the buildup of iron in organs
    ■Medications, including some drugs for other heart rhythm disorders, high blood pressure and psychosis

From http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bra...section=causes

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default deet

AS a side note: Goretex is impurvious to deet. I have been a sales rep for a number of outdoor clothing companies and have been to the Goretex plant. The Goretex product will not disolve in Deet, but most other water proof film products that are commonly used in waterproof materials, will disolve in Deet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast