Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smoking in the stand?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default smoking in the stand?

smokers? do you smoke in your stand? treestand or ground blind? hows your luck been with it?

my old buddy is 67 this year smokes every 10 min not sure how to get him to leave them in camp as we are in a ground blind...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Great question

Non smokers will oft times say Smoking will keep game away,
    Smokers will say it draws them in..
    I knew a guy that lit his smokes on the lit ends of the one he just finished, and no way to make him stop when out hunting..
    He just made sure wind was in his face and he did fine on Mule deer back in Wyoming..
    but in a ground blind where you don't have any choice in wind direction,,,
    I would wonder ..
    it sounds like you will be testing this question out..
    let us know..

Remind me of an old poem we had in an auto parts store I worked at back in the 70's..

I notice that you Smoke
    I warn you that I Chew.
    If you don't smoke on me,
    Then I won't spit on you!!!

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I don't smoke at all, so I obvioulsy don't smoke in my stand. But a couple of years ago, my best friend was hunting with me. He's a heavy smoker and after a couple of hours without one, he finally couldn't take it any more and stood up to burn one. Half way through his cigarette, a beautiful black bear walked in right under the stand he was smoking in. It sure didn't bother that bear and as it turned out that was one of the best bears ever taken on my stand. I truly don't believe there's much that bothers a hungry black bear, be it noise or strange smell.

Just my experience, hope it helps

Shannon

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lol thanks max

i dont want to TEST it though ... i dont want to spend all 4 days waiting for him to maybe see one as i have promised him first one as he has never gotten one yet...

if i had the room on the river to move him out 150 yards then great... but at that range i would have to shoot it for him too.... the old guy is 67 weighs less then 100 lbs and needs to be taken care of.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,
    I told ya to hoist him 25 ft up in a tree. Take his smokes away and when he starts squealing.... wa la you have a predator call in your bait station
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Vince,
    I told ya to hoist him 25 ft up in a tree. Take his smokes away and when he starts squealing.... wa la you have a predator call in your bait station
    MAN!!!! between Daniel and Ray i have to do ALL THE WORK!!!!!!!!

Jess there is that evil female streak again!

meet on face book here

Odds are if they can smell the cigarette they can smell you.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default smoking

Vince just get him hooked on smoking some bear crack maybe put a little nicorette gum in the mixture and have him light up !! You guys are hitting the yukon at a good time bears have started moving big time in Central area.

Had a buddy that would smoke a cigar on the way to his stand all the time. He always shot nice bears. He didn't smoke on stand, but you could smell the cigar on him. The bears had to smell it. I think the key is to condition them to the smell. He always smoked cigars from the first day he put that stand in. He always had a ton of bears on it, so I think over time the return bears got use to the smell.

I think there is a bigger issue than smell. They can smell you they know you are there or have been there. I believe bears see more two dimensional as opposed to three dimensional like humans. They are more like to pick you up if they see movement. i am a firm believer that you will get more of a reaction from a bear by moving than him smelling you. Someone smoking is moving all the time. I've had bears looking right at me knowing I was there but weren't seeing me until I moved.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    I think there is a bigger issue than smell. They can smell you they know you are there or have been there. I believe bears see more two dimensional as opposed to three dimensional like humans. They are more like to pick you up if they see movement. i am a firm believer that you will get more of a reaction from a bear by moving than him smelling you. Someone smoking is moving all the time. I've had bears looking right at me knowing I was there but weren't seeing me until I moved.
    I believe 99.9% of this. The only part I think does make a difference is whose scent they smell. If it's the guy whose been in and out of the bait site and feeding them, they probably won't care. A new scent might startle them a bit and make them cautious coming in.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default I always smoke in my stand

It's called a Honey Burn :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I believe 99.9% of this. The only part I think does make a difference is whose scent they smell. If it's the guy whose been in and out of the bait site and feeding them, they probably won't care. A new scent might startle them a bit and make them cautious coming in.
    You're probably right that makes sense.
    Chuck

Default smokes

When I first started baiting when I was 18 me and my partner were heavy smokers and smoked the whole time we sat in stands. We both killed bears that first year had my first 6 footer walk in right in the middle of a smoke. I dont think it made a difference. I am a reformed smoker now and wont allow it in the station because I cant stand the smell. Luckily all my hunting partners are non smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    When I first started baiting when I was 18 me and my partner were heavy smokers and smoked the whole time we sat in stands. We both killed bears that first year had my first 6 footer walk in right in the middle of a smoke. I dont think it made a difference. I am a reformed smoker now and wont allow it in the station because I cant stand the smell. Luckily all my hunting partners are non smokers.
    His 7' + grandaddy was probably watching from the weeds
    Chuck

Clove cigarettes?

Might work!

But I'm no smoker.

Taylor

try smoking weed, it brings them running in with the munchies!!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    try smoking weed, it brings them running in with the munchies!!
    Ignorance runs large on this board, we don't need anymore suggestions.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Ignorance runs large on this board, we don't need anymore suggestions.
    settle down batman, it'll be alright!!

Default first laugh of the night

Awww,
    I been searching around on this forum for over an hour and that smoking weed thing and the thought of Black Bear munchies was the first laugh of the night,

Just Might Work
    might not be considered intelligent but hey,

we're talking about "Smoking when out on an Ambush," right?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast