Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Videos

Default Underwater Videos

As some of you have seen I have an underwater video system that I hook up to my downrigger. I'm starting this thread for anyone that might be interested in learning more about what I do and possibly starting to do it yourself.

I'd also love to know if there's anyone else out there that does it too. I'd love to get more feedback on what other people are doing. Everything, and I mean everything that I do with mine is totally self taught. There might be things I could learn from someone else.

But most of all I want to share a pretty cool experience with those that are interested. I have a bunch of my videos posted on my website, but I also have a ton more that I haven't posted yet and hope to get around to it pretty soon. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Charlie White, one of the grandfathers of underwater video.Very cool stuff out of BC...

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    Charlie White, one of the grandfathers of underwater video.Very cool stuff out of BC...
    Yeah, know his stuff very well---and may he RIP. In fact I used to watch his program when I could get it on cable and that's essentially what got me started on it. The problem is there is a charge for his videos unless you can find them on the web somewhere. I like to share mine for free and I'm happy to discuss them with anyone that's interested.

Thanks Muttley, those videos are very cool.

Very cool, I didnt realize that a Halibuts eyes stick out that much under water. Kinda freaky! Now I want a camera

Question

So where is the link on your web papge for a guy to click on so he can view your videos?

Default It's right there...

As soon as you open his webpage, there is a green block on top with options to click on, one says "Underwater Videos". OK, I gotta get back to that page and watch these things!

Default Cool videos...

Do your clients get to watch that live while you're trolling? That must be a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Do your clients get to watch that live while you're trolling? That must be a hoot!
    Yeah, but unfortunately I've found that kings---at least the winter kings---are very camera shy. I was seeing other people catch kings all around me for the better part of the beginning of the season and I saw plenty of them swim up, look at my herring and then swim away, so I stopped using my camera system and I started catching fish. And if I had another person with me I'd use the camera on one downrigger and no camera on the other and the "other" would catch 10 fish for every 1 that the camera side was getting. So now I don't use it for kings. Spawners might be different, so I'm thinking of giving it a try again pretty soon.

But coho are a completely different story. They don't seem to mind the camera at all. In fact as you can see from that one video of the fish looking in the camera they seem to find it interesting. So once they start coming through again the camera will go back on and my clients will be able to watch what's going on down there. I have a SONY handycam with a tiny little 4" screen that I watch it all on as I'm trolling, but I'm thinking of getting something like a 10" LCD monitor so everyone can watch.

Default Great videos,

thanks for sharing them. Let us all know when you have new ones up!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, but unfortunately I've found that kings---at least the winter kings---are very camera shy. I was seeing other people catch kings all around me for the better part of the beginning of the season and I saw plenty of them swim up, look at my herring and then swim away, so I stopped using my camera system and I started catching fish. And if I had another person with me I'd use the camera on one downrigger and no camera on the other and the "other" would catch 10 fish for every 1 that the camera side was getting. So now I don't use it for kings. Spawners might be different, so I'm thinking of giving it a try again pretty soon.

But coho are a completely different story. They don't seem to mind the camera at all. In fact as you can see from that one video of the fish looking in the camera they seem to find it interesting. So once they start coming through again the camera will go back on and my clients will be able to watch what's going on down there. I have a SONY handycam with a tiny little 4" screen that I watch it all on as I'm trolling, but I'm thinking of getting something like a 10" LCD monitor so everyone can watch.
    That is Sweet! Looking forward to seeing that setup!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Very cool, I didnt realize that a Halibuts eyes stick out that much under water. Kinda freaky! Now I want a camera
    That's because that fish, and probably all of them in that particular video, aren't halibut. Take a close look at the tail shapes of all the fish, the round body shape, and on that last one, the tiny mouth. Those are a type sole or flounder caught often in Kachemak, I can't identify them but some folks down there could. They aren't halibut, though.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    That's because that fish, and probably all of them in that particular video, aren't halibut. Take a close look at the tail shapes of all the fish, the round body shape, and on that last one, the tiny mouth. Those are a type sole or flounder caught often in Kachemak, I can't identify them but some folks down there could. They aren't halibut, though.
    I was thinking that too... halibut eyes dont protrude like that and their tail curves differently than that... looks alot like the flounders we catch around here.

What kind of set-up are you running? I have seen that Walker makes a camera that is integrated into one of their down riggers. What have you done for your set up?

Thanks
    Carl

In all actuality you are correct. I only said "halibut" as a general term for the bottom dwellers you see there. I didn't originally think anyone that viewed that video would really care and really never meant it to be scrutinized by people "in the know". There are probably a few different species there if you were to look really carefully.

To AkCarl: There's a video on my website now that shows how I have everything set up. Check it out. It's the very bottom one. That Walker system is WAY cool. The only problem with it is it really is only built to be used with their "tournament" downrigger and so you have to buy everything together. I have downriggers already, so it would be a big cash outlay for something I don't need. But if I didn't have downriggers and wanted to get into underwater videos like mine, I'd buy one in a second. The camera cable IS the downrigger cable, so no having to connect them together. I actually thought about trying to utilize their camera/cable system with my downriggers and contacted Walker directly, but was told it just won't work. Oh well.

Thanks Muttley for sharing this with us. It is very interesting. Have you been able to learn very much that you think has made you a better fisherman? Do you have many days that the fish come up to the camera and refuse about everything you offer them? I would think this could be a valuable tool to learn with. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Thanks Muttley for sharing this with us. It is very interesting. Have you been able to learn very much that you think has made you a better fisherman? Do you have many days that the fish come up to the camera and refuse about everything you offer them? I would think this could be a valuable tool to learn with. Thanks again.
    Oh having that thing down there is incredibly educational. Anyone that doesn't have one is only guessing at exactly what's going on. And I'd have to say it certainly has made me a better fisherman. It's an incredible tool. The best example of that is seeing kings down there numerous times and not being able to catch them. Thinking the camera was spooking them I pulled it and my catch rate suddenly shot up miraculously. Silvers couldn't care less what's down there, but kings are very spooky and wary.

I don't recall very many times having fish come up and look at the camera and not be at all interested in my herring. They really seem to be inquisitive and just seem to have to check everything out that they see. I've had plenty of fish come up and investigate everything and then just swim away. Not sure if they're just not hungry or if they detected something they didn't like.

And seeing things going on down there that you'd never know was going on is one of the best things about it. The salmon shark following my herring was a mind blower. It's pretty cool sitting there in your boat watching your herring spin and seeing a 400 lb. shark come up and investigate. If I didn't have the camera down there I would never even have known it was going on. And just 40 ft. below me!

I also have some shots of murres diving down 40 ft. or so and attacking my herring. If I didn't have the camera down there I would have thought the rod bouncing was a salmon bothering my bait. I haven't posted that video yet, but will this evening. It's pretty cool to see.

My wife is interested in us getting a camera setup, so after reading Dave's other posts, I investigated one of the setups he thought sounded interesting.

I looked at the YouSeeItNow.com website and had questions about their systems. Gentleman (Charles) called me today and answered my questions. Bottom line is, his systems are really optimized for stationary fishing in fairly shallow water. Not designed for trolling (he suggested the camera housing is not as robust, and the suspension is not optimized), max rated depth is 90', and the cable length is 60-65'. You can get an extension cable, but the connectors are RCA and not waterproof - you'd have to do that yourself, and saltwater corrosion would be a big concern.

These may well be great for other kinds of fishing, especially lakes and ice fishing, but for the kind of viewing Dave has been doing (if that's your bag), this doesn't seem to be the setup.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    In all actuality you are correct. I only said "halibut" as a general term for the bottom dwellers you see there. I didn't originally think anyone that viewed that video would really care and really never meant it to be scrutinized by people "in the know". There are probably a few different species there if you were to look really carefully.
    I find this to be an odd perspective. If by scrutinized, you mean that I looked at the video - you're right. And if by "in the know," you mean I know what a halibut looks like, you're probably describing 90% of the people on this forum. "Halibut" is a distinct species, and hardly a general term to describe bottom dwellers, let alone flatfish, especially by someone who runs a business catching them. And to say that you didn't think anyone would care that you are calling sole halibut on your webpage begs the question: do you think they are going to not care if you call a sole a halibut in their daily bag limit? Now, I'm stretching it, to be sure (at least I hope) with that last bit, but seriously, that's your business page there. You really don't expect people to look at it carefully? You don't think people will care that you mis-label the target species that 100 charter outfits down there are after? You wait until someone says, "Hey, that's not a halibut," before you backpedal and say, "Oh, I didn't think you'd care"? You even let Ronster's comment about halibut having such bulging eyes pass without bothering to correct yourself at that point. Which further begs the question: did you yourself even know they weren't halibut? Or did you just chose to ignore his comment?

The videos themselves are very cool, I don't wish to take anything away from that. But I'd hope you would at this point, if you haven't already, at least accurately label what it is you are videoing. Hey, it's your business...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I find this to be an odd perspective. If by scrutinized, you mean that I looked at the video - you're right. And if by "in the know," you mean I know what a halibut looks like, you're probably describing 90% of the people on this forum. "Halibut" is a distinct species, and hardly a general term to describe bottom dwellers, let alone flatfish, especially by someone who runs a business catching them. And to say that you didn't think anyone would care that you are calling sole halibut on your webpage begs the question: do you think they are going to not care if you call a sole a halibut in their daily bag limit? Now, I'm stretching it, to be sure (at least I hope) with that last bit, but seriously, that's your business page there. You really don't expect people to look at it carefully? You don't think people will care that you mis-label the target species that 100 charter outfits down there are after? You wait until someone says, "Hey, that's not a halibut," before you backpedal and say, "Oh, I didn't think you'd care"? You even let Ronster's comment about halibut having such bulging eyes pass without bothering to correct yourself at that point. Which further begs the question: did you yourself even know they weren't halibut? Or did you just chose to ignore his comment?

The videos themselves are very cool, I don't wish to take anything away from that. But I'd hope you would at this point, if you haven't already, at least accurately label what it is you are videoing. Hey, it's your business...
    LOL! Whatever, dude! Seems as though you're about the only person that really cares about it one way or another. Please forgive me. Next time I'll post their scientific names, what their natural history is and anything else I can think about them that people might be concerned about. The point is, it's a cool video. Take it for what it's worth.

For anyone that's interested I've posted another video. This one is a good example of what goes on down there that you might not expect to see:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast