Thread: I need a light weight tripod

Default I need a light weight tripod

I have a new spotting scope (Kowa 60mm angled) and was wondering what you sheep hunters use for a tripod? My plan is to primarily use the scope for hunting in the mountains. What works best for you? What type of head is easiest to use? Thanks.

I'm using a Manfrotto, it has the mini grip head attached (does not come off) very lighweight, and easy to use.

The other way to go is the carbon Slik and full sized Manfrotto grip head. Used one of these last year (borrowed) it was sweet. But for less than a 100 bucks the one listed above works for me. Either way IMO get a grip head, they are very fast to get on target.

Just ordered a Velbon Ultra Maxi-M Tripod yesterday for my sheep hunt. I don't have a review on it for you.

Had a couple others on the short list:

Vortex High Country
    Slik Sprint Mini II

I've looked at or used the three LG mentioned. If you not too tall and use an angled spotter, you can use the Velbon Ultra Maxi M even when standing. At 6'1" and with a straight spotter, I went for a slightly lighter choice.

I got the Slik Sprint Mini II, but have only used it the last few weeks. So far I like it a lot, lightweight and fits in a pouch along with my spotter. I'll probably drill a hole in the center column to add a hook or loop to attach a weighted bag for stability.

Another option that appears to be quite popular is the Slik Sprint EZ, but it's a little heavier.

Like many things in life, it's a trade off between weight, stability, size, and cost.

Default tripods etc.

I have used a number of tripods and other arrangements of stacked packs and jackets etc.. I'm always trying to get away with less stuff and weight. I took a cap off the top of a side rail on my pack frame and drilled it to accept a 1/4 x 20 bolt that I could lock nut and leave a little thread exposed for the scope to spin on to. A compromise to be sure but it works for me. I have developed the habit of never leaving my pack behind until the final stalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have a new spotting scope (Kowa 60mm angled) and was wondering what you sheep hunters use for a tripod? My plan is to primarily use the scope for hunting in the mountains. What works best for you? What type of head is easiest to use? Thanks.
    It is pretty hard to beat the Slik tripod with a pistol grip head. We have used that combination for years and found it has a number of advantages over most other systems.
    Just don't fall into the "weight trap" when making the decision about how to support your spotting scope. That spotting scope is the second most important piece of equipment in determining whether you find an animal on your hunt. The extra couple of pounds will save not only miles of walking but greatly increase the effectiveness of the spotting scope.
    Those Kowa spotting scopes are great, so GOOD LUCK!

Good Luck

Joe (Ak)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a velbon fan and I like the twist out legs. Been using velbon for the past 3 years. Its right at 2 pounds with the head it comes on it. And being at 5'9 with an angled spotter I can use it while standing up. I personal prefer a pan or even a ball head over a pistol grips, but that is all user preference.

In fact if you find the tripod you are looking for and want a Manfrotto pistol grip, I am looking at selling my current one as I just can't get into the pistol grip thing though. If you are find that pistol grips are for you I'm selling this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tick_Head.html

For $80

Default Velbon

I'm a Velbon man too. The one I have is very light, full-sized, and cost about $20 at Kit's Cameras in the Dimond Center in Anchorage.

I like the flip levers on the legs instead of screw fittings. All the tripods I've had with screw fittings were hard or impossible to adjust in freezing temps, especially if they got wet first. The screw fittings are also hard to turn with gloves on. Flip levers are secure and much faster, and they don't lock up on you.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The carbon fiber Gitzo tripod is the only way to go in my opinion. It is super light weight and the head I have on it is awesome. It is expensive, but like anything optics related, good stuff is pricey.

Legs
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6X_Carbon.html

Head
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_1_Fluid.html

I have used it on sheep, goat, moose, black and brown bears. It is ideal in the alpine, I'd like to get a full length set of legs to use for bear hunts.

Default tripod

I won't give you tripod recommendations, but will say that my son has had a Kowa for several years and is very pleased with it. I'm sure you will be happy with that choice.

Default Thank you

Thank you all for your responses. My spotting scope should be in next week and I hope to make my choice soon. I looked at a Manfrotto Modo 785B ($80) at Stewarts Photo Shop in Anchorage yesterday that I liked. When my spotter gets in I plan on going down there and trying it out on the tripod. Anybody had any experience with this one?