Thread: Bligh Island Info

Question Bligh Island Info

Planning on a couple trips to Bligh Is. this summer for my first time. I am making the trip in my 22' Jet boat and I feel pretty confident it will be a safe trip if I plan my days right. So on to my questions concerning this trip. I will be stayin the night i a cove/ bay around the island somewhere. I have researched it a bit and it appears that Cloudman Bay looks promising. My other option is West bay but from what I can gather it appears that West bay is pretty shallow. I am looking for safe anchorage for n overnighter out of the storm that is likley to roll up at some point. Have any of you got any experience with either bay? If I must I will run back across the narrows twards Bidarka pt. and find anchorage there. I would like to stay really close to Bligh due to my fuel sitiation. My boat is equiped with a Chevy 350 and I only have 55 gallons of fuel on board my main tank. I am considering hauling a barrel of gas along if need be. i have a flow scan so I should be able to monitor my fuel consumption pretty close.
    Another question is what about shrimping out around bligh? Any luck? I have fished Valdez for 2 years now out of this boat, I have never ventured past Galena Bay yet though. I am in need of some Butt's though this year and I am committed to find a few.
    Please share any usefull information you might have about this area.
    Thanks in advance boys!

My recommendation for that area would be to go to Landlock Bay. It is a great anchorage in all weather and from there if the weather kicks up you can go up Tatitlek Narrows to stay out of the open water. I have not shrimped around there. good luck

Sounds like you have done your research and know which two bays offer protection. I would check out West bay as it is much more protected and what some consider shallow is plenty deep in a jet boat.

I have been running a 22 foot Wooldridge jetboat out of Valdez for the past few years and take it out past there on a regular basis granted I have close to 150 gallons on board when I leave port. Bring a little extra just in case.

Can't help with the shrimping as I have not gotten into it yet.

Good luck!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Thanks so far!!!!

Well unfortunately I still have not made it out ot Bligh. I attempted once but due to the weather conditions Galena is as far as I have made it. I am planning another trip though. So I am wanting to find a bay around Bligh / Goose Island. The Two Moon Bay looks promising for safe anchorage. I also need a fairly safe beach to put a couple campers on. What does two moon bay look like? Rocky cliffs? Any beaches I can throw the boat up on and unload some campers?
    thanks for the replies gentlemen!

I have found some great Halibut fishing around Bligh and Goose Islands. Two Moon bay as well, unfortunately the land around those areas is all native land. Two Moon bay has some anchorages but my map shows the land to be native.

Good luck and tight lines.

Steve

Thanks for the heads up on the Two Mooon Bay. I found a map of PWS dictating where native land is located at. That whole area is off limits to me I guess. Wonder how I could request access to there land for camping a couple days. Think they wuld mind? might try an email and let you all know what happens. Hat to back track to Bligh every day if the I prefer to fish closer to main land.
    What abou a safe camping beach on bligh? Cloudman Bay have a beach I could put a couple campers on? Would like to set the boat on the beach if I can.
    Thanks
    Anyone out there have any pics of from that bay?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have spent many a night between Bligh and Reef(? the small one closest the marker) with out any issues ever.. it is a short run around to the tatlick narrows on the inside or a run around the outside to fidalgo bay also.

that notch between the two islands is narrow and gets shallow on the low tide but is a solid anchor for a light boat. watch for deer on the two islands, and fish the reef area, we always had decent luck out there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

http://www.tatitlek.com/pages/cultur...tlekLands.aspx

Here's a link to a page containing a map showing land owned by Tatitlek native corp.

I doubt they'd have issue with anchoring, but they are pretty protective of the resources (deer,etc) on those islands, so I'd think twice about taking a deer if you do see one. From what I've heard and seen, if they see someone that looks like they're hunting or hear gunshots, they will investigate...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    http://www.tatitlek.com/pages/cultur...tlekLands.aspx

Here's a link to a page containing a map showing land owned by Tatitlek native corp.

I doubt they'd have issue with anchoring, but they are pretty protective of the resources (deer,etc) on those islands, so I'd think twice about taking a deer if you do see one. From what I've heard and seen, if they see someone that looks like they're hunting or hear gunshots, they will investigate...
    no body said anything about shooting deer... I said watch for them..

if your anchored up at night and are quite they will come right down to the waters edge to check you out too...

as for anchoring.. as long as your in the water or below the high water mark ain't diddly squat they can say or do.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    no body said anything about shooting deer... I said watch for them..

if your anchored up at night and are quite they will come right down to the waters edge to check you out too...

as for anchoring.. as long as your in the water or below the high water mark ain't diddly squat they can say or do.
    Agreed...

Even if they do come to the water's edge, shooting them would be a bad idea...

Well after the above post I have now learned of the limited areas you can legally beach it and camp. Tatitlik corp has all of Bligh off limits to everyone other than share holders. Most of Fidalgo Bay is the same story! This is really a shame. i would like to find somewhere near by to post up a couple tents for the night while we fish near by. I called the Tatitlik corp and found there are a few reserved spots you can rent from them. They are willing to rent them out for $35 a day! WOW! talk about a steep price!
    So I have another idea on where I can beach the boat on forrest service land. Well as far as a map says it is forrest land. I hope it is not a marsh.
    Thought I have herd of people hunting Bligh before? How can that be?

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Thought I have herd of people hunting Bligh before? How can that be?
    Hunting below high tide mark is legal.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.