Thread: anyone fished upper Chunilna Creek (ie Clear Creek) in late July

Smile anyone fished upper Chunilna Creek (ie Clear Creek) in late July

Curious about best patterns to use in late july for upper chunilna (clear creek).

Thanks in advance for any informaiton shared.

Also .. does the water in the creek need to be pump filtered , in addition to using Sterilight pen.. or myox chlorine drops.... due to the decaying salmon?

I'd filter it...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Smile thanks for the information.. appreciate it..

we will have both kinds of water filtration systems.. thanks for your input..

Question All ways look up stream of ere you are getting

All ways look up stream of were you are getting, you can never tell what may be up there. There may be a lot of dead fish or something else I would bring my own water I thing your down off service would bring some on a regular run

Big Fisherman

When you say upper, how far up are you going and how are you getting in there? I have never fished it but i have flown it in a helicopter many times over 20 years ago. It is a gorgeous creek.

I wouldn't trust a filter. I would at least boil it, and even boil it twice.

Thumbs up

Excellent choice for that timeframe. Go up as far as you can get and then walk upstream fishing all the holes. I have caught a lot of decent Rainbows in the upper reaches. If you are not a fly fishing purist, take along some roe. Otherwise use beads or anything that looks like roe. There are also Dollies in the creek, but not very many big ones. Suggest you take a frying pan along. Filter the water.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Hmmm, if you need a last-minute replacement...

I've been up to the cables on Clear Creek. That area's been one of my favorite spring trout fisheries probably because it's not that easy to access. The brush is thick when the trail runs out. The river gets bony then deep repeatedly complicating hiking or boating. I'll comment but defer to other experts too. Others probably have more experience. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

A bit of history behind those cables, which you'll see on your last float day. If you're interested in some historical perspective, Steve Mahay's story tells much of it. He's had some adventures. I thought the story was worth reading in spite of less-than-stellar writing, work to get through sometimes: see, The Legend of River Mahay (http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=317

Water: Springer and bstacy added a lot to my education about getting wilderness water. If you only read one post, read #17: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29101, but the thread contains valuable info and is on my AOD Classic Threads ref list.

Regs: Check the regs about bait. In unit 5 last year, I think it was only unbaited, artificial lures (p.31).

Wildlife: I'd keep a clean camp and that area is the one place where I've hung my food up when camping. There used to be an old discarded cooler under the cable (south bank), all chewed up, presumably by a bear trying to get in. A couple of cabins up that way have similar marks. Mike Sears is a retired trooper who now guides for TriRiver and told me a story about how careless coolers bring bears and how a potential "DLP" might go down. It's not worth the hassle and might be indefensible. Anyways, some bears are curious, some hungry and some sizable. I'll post some prints. That's a Leatherman PST II in the second pic, 8" span.

Have a great trip and shoot me that PM if you have a no show!

Great trout, dolly and grayling fishing in that time frame. As mentioned, watch out for the bears if you hike way up. I've been charged more than once through the years.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Default fishing upper clear creek (aka chunilna creek)

guys...thanks for your replies and information.. i really appreciate it.

we will be up as far as the old mine...and will hike even higher to some smaller lakes up on the tundra....hoping for clear weather to enjoy the scenery.

Filtering the water with a professional pump filter , plus miox chlorine drops should minimize any risk of giardia ..plus getting water from little tributary streams when possible....as we understand the king salmon will be decaying all along the river at that time of the year.

We are fly fishing purists..catch and release except for dinner meals..

Clean camp is mandatory with us., with 100 yard triangle.. food 100 yards hung away from sleeping location, cooking 100 yards away from camp in other direction... no one will know we were ever there , except for a burned out campfire.

i assume wind is blowing upstream generally..ie up the canyon..but we will adjust our thinking, each night to determine triangle locations...and we will not camp on river along bear trails.. if at all possible...but will generally try to get away from river to a spot in the open .. but understand that may not be possible..

We all carry S&W 50 cal.. or .454 Super Redhawk or .460 S&W.. and pepper spray..

We admire and appreciate nature, the awesome power and beauty of grizzly bears..and do not wish to harm the environment nor any of natures creatures....other than the fish we eat.. ..and we enjoy a little whitewater in our alpackas.

its a much anticipated time for fathers and sons.. who have been making golden memories like this trip for 20 years...

cinch.

Smile fishing upper clear creek (aka chunilna creek) and water purification

thank you 6xleech for your informational reply...much appreciated..

just followed your links on water purification.. very very helpful.. ..

everyone who goes into the alaska wilderness could benefit by reading this thread especially reply #17 ...

Very good information..

and i also hope to read that book you referenced......thanks again

cinch

Default That book...

the writing is quite poor, but the man's story is worth telling. True sourdough I thought.

Your plans sound like a wonderful trip ...and tradition.

Best wishes.