Thread: nineteen days and two clients later...

Red face nineteen days and two clients later...

finally found a huntable boar....what a tough season. this guy went 8'7 squared with a skull rough measured at a bit over 24. a mature bear, but big for his apparent age....not a very old bear at all. very skinny, hips stickin out, nothing in his belly...looked to have had a bad go of it this winter. heres a few pics....i'll do a write up sometime when i have the chance....

[img]DSCF0343_2276[img/]

[img]DSCF0348_2277[img/]

[img]DSCF0301_2279[img/]

[img]DSCF0340_2275[img/]

Can't seem to see your pics but glad to hear you scored!can't wait for your write up good luck out there

Congrads on the successful hunt, sounds like presistence payed off.

Default dangit...

what did i do wrong on the pics....not on my comp, using the bosses, and obviously i didnt do something...guidance?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    what did i do wrong on the pics....not on my comp, using the bosses, and obviously i didnt do something...guidance?
    you didn't post a web link to use the [img] function when pulling them off the computer you have to attach file under mangae attachments or save them to you profile albums and post that link in the [img]
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Tough Early Spring...

Ninefoot,
    Yep.
    I agree that it has been a tough early spring. On the Alaska Peninsula I have heard nothing but grief from Cold Bay up through Port Moller. Very few isolated success stories. I also had a long spell without shootable, solo bears until I found (only!) an 8'8" bear, which was smaller than I had expected to find for my early season hunter. The snow did not seem excessive. The temps were normal. The weather was as terrible as always. But I viewed only a third as many bears as in the past six May seasons.
    My high point for this spring was five seperate wolverine sightings, as close as 15 feet+-, of at least two different animals.

Congrats to you Ninefoot, on your persistence and success.
    (Good luck with posting them pictures.)

Dennis

Talking try this again...

maybe this'll work.

theres a couple additional pics added to my album as well

spotted this bear at about 2 pm after lots of seeing nothing the whole hunt cept for a lone sow in the 7 to 7.5 range. this boar had slipped by us in the fog early in the morning and when we spooted him was headed straight away about two miles out. it was a mad dash and a chaotic stalk...i've never had to actually RUN after any animal, but straights were dire, and we needed to make this one count as my client had only a few more days to hunt. off we went. when we spotted the bear, we just bailed on him and left the packs to go lighter. four miles and lots of alders later i ran out of cover and had to dog him in the flat tundra. the boar had stopped a few times to dick around, and we'd gained on him steadily (unusual to be able to walk/run down a moving brown bear, but he was messing around quite a bit, and sat down a couple times...affording us valuable ground gained) at 300+ yrds we still had the wind in our favor, but no cover, and he spooked after looking over his shoulder....this is when it got weird. i wolf howled at him a couple times thinkin what could it hurt, and he stopped...this is usual, i can usually at least stop them with a howl, but they normally will keep hi tailing it after a second or two of indecision...not so with this guy. he stopped, slowed to a walk, and started circling at a distance, obviously trying to get my wind. i jumped in a little tundra ditch that we could belly crawl in and stay out of his sight...we gained at least a hundred yrds this way, and he did the rest for us...he laid down twice facing me and stopped for a few minutes (i assume he was trying to figure out what he was gonna do about the odd little shapes in the tundra that howled like a wolf at him) then he'd get up and come in a little closer...all the while swinging his head in indecision....then we killed him. client made a great shot, i backed him up as the bear was running towards the brush. wasnt needed after inspection of first shot. this boars reaction to the sight of upright bodies on his ass in the open was definitely different than any i've observed before...but i'll take it. he had us beat fair and square, but the predator curiousity in him let us capitalize. sometimes its all about bein out there and not giving up, no matter if it looks hopeless...when i made the first step on that stalk, i gave us no more than 30% chance at a shot at this bear due to his being so far and headed the other way from the get go...that bear commited suicide...i was happy to oblige...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great bear and story

Great effort and perseverance to make it happen for your client. Great job and awesome bear.

My brother hunted out of cold bay this spring. He said they saw a total of 8 bears the first 10 days, none of which were shooters. May 22nd, day 11( I think)a 9 1/2 footer wandered his way and presented him with a good shot and he was successful. He said from what he was hearing that he was one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for sharing your hunt. The look on your hunters face pretty much says it all! Congrats!

Ninefoot,

Cool pics and good effort!

Your client looks real please, glad it worked out for you (and him)!

Great story as usual.

Chris

Default Kudo's

Isn't hunting GREAT! Never know what will happen from one minute to the next - roller coaster of emotions at times!
    Nice Bear!

Default yeah tough all over...

tough all over from what i've been hearing...wondering if the fish will be early as well...seems to be the trend with early springs....seems to run the gamut with the rest of the year. should be interesting. nice job on pulling the one you got dennis....

zack

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Ninefoot,
    Yep.
    I agree that it has been a tough early spring. On the Alaska Peninsula I have heard nothing but grief from Cold Bay up through Port Moller. Very few isolated success stories. I also had a long spell without shootable, solo bears until I found (only!) an 8'8" bear, which was smaller than I had expected to find for my early season hunter. The snow did not seem excessive. The temps were normal. The weather was as terrible as always. But I viewed only a third as many bears as in the past six May seasons.
    My high point for this spring was five seperate wolverine sightings, as close as 15 feet+-, of at least two different animals.

Congrats to you Ninefoot, on your persistence and success.
    (Good luck with posting them pictures.)

Dennis