Thread: Notice: New copper opening date

Default Notice: New copper opening date

ADFG is killing me. I have to catch the ferry in Haines on the 7th. It worked out when the opener was on the 3rd. May have to just drive to Seattle in order to dipnet one last time. Now thats dedication!

Keep in mind that's a one-day opening, too. You've got a 16 hour window.

Get some!!

Default Looking for a place that sells dipnet material in Anchorage

I'm making my own dipnet. I heard there is a place in Anchorage that sells Copper River nets (ie net only, no frame). Does anyone know the name of the place? Maybe around Denali St?????
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskabr549@gmail.com View Post
    I'm making my own dipnet. I heard there is a place in Anchorage that sells Copper River nets (ie net only, no frame). Does anyone know the name of the place? Maybe around Denali St?????
    Thanks
    Ummm...not to point out the obvious, but look at the top of this thread page. The entire dipnetting forum is sponsored.

(Donalson Company)

Default Donalson Company

LOL!!! Thanks Dude, next time I'll check the banners

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskabr549@gmail.com View Post
    LOL!!! Thanks Dude, next time I'll check the banners
    No problem...I was trying not to sound too arrogant telling you that...lol.

I've done pretty similar things, so I understand.

Default the opener

What is the forecast anybody think it will be a strong opener? How do people typically fare I have a boat so would be running down the canyon?
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

it sounds like you've never run your boat down there?

not for the inexperienced power boater, that's for sure. and if the water is high (and it looks like it will be high early) you had really better be on the ball. especially with having to trailer your boat, you're probably better off financially (and safety-wise) taking the charter if you want boat access. you'll be able to get down the canyon in your boat, but will you be able to get back up? and will you do so safely?

the run strength during the opener will be moderate at best, but a good eddy can't help but yield fish. Those who know what they're doing will get fish.

search for adf&g sonar for miles lake sonar counts and more info on the timing and strength of salmon runs.

Based on the early numbers, I don't expect a strong opening, although there will be fish around.

River has been rising steadily and probably will continue to as long as this hotter weather holds, which could lead to early-season flooding like last year.

Watching the fish counts, it looks like the last couple of days have finally seen a bigger push of fish, and if they hold to their general pattern we should see about a week of really big numbers coming into the system. Theoretically, that means in two to three weeks the dipping should follow the same pattern and improve dramatically. All of that hinges on what the fish actually decide to do and river levels.

Right now, I'm sort of tentatively planning making our trip the 3rd week of June, but I'm going to keep watching to see how things develop.

Default Mouth Money

...i dunno...

I still don't feel comfortable with the 2-3 week time period.

For later in the summer the 2-3 week travel time might be accurate, but I'm thinking that the first fish in the river not only have less current to fight, they are the most aggressive of the whole horde and go upriver faster anyway. Just a theory.

For the sake of science I may go ahead and fish the opener and hang over 'til Monday to fill a proxy permit if I need to.

I'll betcha Tuesday the 8th is going to start the hot streak.

~tr

You are dedicated to science...