Thread: Fly Fishing Pike

Cool Fly Fishing Pike

Anybody have any good fly or popper suggestions? Any tricks that work well?

I'm real fond of topwater fishing, or at least right in the surface film. Best for me is a "popper" tied with white deer body hair and a tail up to 12" long tied with yak hair. It doesn't take a lot of yak hair to create the effect of a body. Two-tone is best, and I have better luck with "pike" color than any other. That's olive over white or cream. Tie the head with all white hair, then color the top half with a Pantone pen. You can hot glue oversized goggle eyes onto the sides of the head if you want. They really seem to help when fishing is slow.

I use 1/0 to 3/0 hooks and tie some with a weedless loop. Because of the lightweight materials they cast surprisingly well for their size, even on an 8-weight.

What's a pike's favorite food? Pike that are smaller than they are, especially if they're "injured" and wallowing on the surface. In clear water I've had them come up over 15' from the bottom to hit these things on top when the water is glassy.

Default tippet?

Brown Bear:

I assume you are rigging up some kind of "shock" tippet, i.e. some thirty pound looped to your leader to keep from getting cut???

Reeeel curious.

Thanks,

L

Some fly shops carry a steel leader for fly fishing pike. I think I picked some up from Sportsmans last year before a pike trip...It worked pretty good, I did catch one pike while fly fishing. I cannot remember what I used, some "fishy" looking green fly that I got from the Fly Shop in Fairbanks before they closed. Sorry I cannot be more specific, I cannot remember the name of the fly, but I know that it wasn't a surface skimmer.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

You got it. I like 40-60# P-Line for its stiffness. To take advantage of it and avoid leader tangles with long flies, I tie them like I do tarpon leaders, however. I don't want ANY swing between the fly and the shock tippet and I don't want any hinging between the shock tippet and my class leader. I tie these up ahead of time with class leaders attached, then do a loop-to-loop connector between the class tippet and end of my tapered leader.

I tie the fly with a little longer head than usual, then use a nail knot right on the head of the fly. You don't even have to run the leader through the eye of the hook that way, a sincere advantage with straight eye hooks.

Next I tie my shock tippet to the class tippet with back to back nail knots. You don't have to do it but I put a bimini in each end of my class tippet, more to create a double for extra wear portection than any feeling I really need a 100% knot. That gives you a double at the back end for your loop-to-loop.

The P-line is stiff enough that you don't really need to use a leader stretcher like you do with so many other leaders, another handy deal that will simplify your life on the water. I just coil the class tippet on itself, then put the whole works in a ziploc big enough the shock tippet can lie straight without curling. You can get half a dozen in a gallon ziploc without curling your leaders or having to fight that long yak hair.

I like dahlberg divers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Mouse Rat

I like to throw a BIG rat when its dark!!!
    Caught and Released

I have caught dozens and dozens of big pike on a haskins gurgler. Long after the tail is gone you will still have the foam. You can google it but his website is www.gurglersonline.com I use either toothy critter wire or tyger wire. When you go to the gurglers site look at the trips and fish link (or something like that). He has a story about us fishing pike on the Innoko and some videos.

Well.... as long as we are talking about pike fishing..

In 1978 I was working a fire on Vundik Lake somewhere in that Sheenjack country NE of Fort Yukon... when we dropped back to 12 hour shifts I had time to pull the rod out. Some Eskimos that were watching told me they used a strip of cloth and no hook for pike... so I gave it a whirl. Tied up 3" strip of terry cloth about a half inch wide. You could easily site fish pike in the shallows if you were stealthy and every pike I cast it to took it.... as long as you kept plenty of pressure on the fish and he didn't cut your tippet you'd land it.

Taking it a step farther, after I got back to my vice, I cut the bend off a long shank hook and tied up a black and white bucktail with numerous loops of mono tied to the shank. Kind of like tying in a loop for a weedless hook but maybe six or so loops on a hookless shank. I don't remember what test but it might have been 10# or so....anyway, it too worked. The hookless pike fly.

I think I'll tie one or two up for my June trip up north... but this time I think I'll use loops of Firewire as if I was tying a trailer hook. I'll not be targeting pike on the trip but if I see a pike hanging in a slough it would be fun to show the lady-friend a new trick.

L

Not notherns, but Tiger Musky (half northerns) love Rainy's Baitfish series patterns: http://www.rainysflies.com/pikemuski...Rows_rsPike=91. Back in Utah I'd fish these off of points and either long slow retrieves or where you tuck the reel under your armpit and do the hand-over-hand-pull-in-like-mad retrieve. Nothin like a 40" shadow to come up underneath your pattern to get your knees a shakin.

Double bunnies are good too. You know what? I imagine a ESL would work just fine...why fish anything else in AK?

My go to is always a black leech. If they aren't taking it on the strip and you can see them....let it sink to the bottom and watch em cruise up to it...tilt to about a 45 degree angle and then WHAM they suck it in...it's like clockwork.

That said, topwater rocks, but this method will keep the rod bent if they aren't coming up for your poppers etc.

Default Foam pike poppers

Tie up some of these. Tight lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

Default I got one word for that.....

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Tie up some of these. Tight lines.

Pretty!

Nice flies

Default Foam pike poppers

This is my pattern and it is an easy fly to tie if you are looking for a surface popper for the water wolf. Tight lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg  

Default Pike streamers

Here are some pike streamers. Got to go coffee's done. Tight lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Black Wooly Buggers work for me with 20lb mono for a leader just dont try using a 4 wt or you might be there for awhile when you hook into a big one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BIG PIKE.jpg