Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimpers that lack respect

Default Shrimpers that lack respect

I took the family out this last weekend for a little shrimping and fishing in the Sound. The weather was great and so was the company. However, I experienced something this weekend that was a real disappointment. We set the pots in an area that I have shrimped for years and I have never seen a pot in the area. The first couple of days again no pots then on Saturday evening a black North River jet boat shows up and as I was picking the pots this guy set right on top of me. The nerve of this guy. To the point 2 of his pots were within a 100 ft of mine. Now I don't think for a minute that I own any part that water however it was so ridiculious. Immediately, I wanted to say something that I'm sure that I would not have proud of, but I bit my tongue because my 2 boys were with me. So instead I took the opportunity to make an example of the guy and teach my boys how not to set gear on top of others and we moved instead. This guy knows who he is and for the record, a little mutual respect goes along way. There is lots of ocean out there guys lets respect each other. Otherwise we will ruin a really good thing.

Some people are born morons and some work hard every day to achieve that status.

Default You did well

You did well to restrain yourself in front of the kids. It is a harder lesson to teach, than to fight.

Yes some people just do not know what they are doing. I used to pull by hand. Ever try to pull 10 pots and line up because someone laid theirs over yours. A real pain in the.....
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-26-2010 at 22:01.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default close

I was out last weekend too. In my 15 foot zodiac. There was about 6 bouys in the very large bay that I could see from my camp. While pulling I had a dingleberry in a big boat (28-30 footer) set within 80 yards of me and then he cruised within 30 foot of my zodiac while I was dropping back in...what a *****.....there weren't any pots within a mile of mine literally.......at least he waited to get on step till after he got past me.......

Some people are just to lazy to find there own spots. Buoy here, must be shrimp here!!! I'll throw a pot here and they won't mind or I just don't care what they think.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I blame the tunnel
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default shrimp

Did you ever think that maybe this guy has been shrimping that spot for years, and he thought you were in his spot? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Did you ever think that maybe this guy has been shrimping that spot for years, and he thought you were in his spot? Just a thought.

And that's a good reason to park his pots on top of some that are already there because?
    How hard is it to give someone a couple of hundred yards buffer?

Default I don't care what he thought

4Whlr,
    I did think about the fact that maybe over all the years I've shrimped this spot that our paths had just not crossed. Even if that were the case my pots were clearly established so for the man to have the nerve to drop on top of me is unacceptable. I don't care if it is his "favorite spot". It is unconscionable to drop your pots within 100' of another person's pots. Something else I didn't consider, perhaps I am in the wrong. Wrong to have expectations of mutual respect. Has it really come to that? Dog eat dog! Even among us fellow boaters. I was hoping that it hadn't. Perhaps I am the naive one here. But I still want to believe that most of us that share the passion for the water, can share some mutual respect. After all we do have to rely on each other out there. Just my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    4Whlr,
    I did think about the fact that maybe over all the years I've shrimped this spot that our paths had just not crossed. Even if that were the case my pots were clearly established so for the man to have the nerve to drop on top of me is unacceptable. I don't care if it is his "favorite spot". It is unconscionable to drop your pots within 100' of another person's pots. Something else I didn't consider, perhaps I am in the wrong. Wrong to have expectations of mutual respect. Has it really come to that? Dog eat dog! Even among us fellow boaters. I was hoping that it hadn't. Perhaps I am the naive one here. But I still want to believe that most of us that share the passion for the water, can share some mutual respect. After all we do have to rely on each other out there. Just my thoughts!

Try explaining to a youngster why someone just trolled over and cut his line to a large King he has been playing for a half hour. Silver time it can be even worse, even when pulling out and away from the troll group.

I had to fire a shot into the air one day to get a boats attention, after many other attempts (radio, horn, yelling), to keep them from drifting over us while on anchor and fighting 2 large fish. They missed by a mere few feet. Thankful the fish were still deep and that his engine fired immediately and I got the weird look as if I was doing something wrong. They did several more passes pretty close by but not near as close as the 1st.

Our ethics and courtesies are shameful now and days.

Default Then

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Then he should have left a note at the spot.

Default ???

I'm not saying that what he did was right, but that a lot of old Alaskan people have a certain mind set about things. And seeing how you pulled up and left, just gave him more of a reason to continue doing it...

Davidinthebush, I don't leave a note were I shrimp, but I do mark my territory of peeing over the side of the boat.. Man, that water sure is cold, and deep...

Yea well, many "Old Alaskans" wish toto would move BACK to Kansas too but it aint happening now is it?
    Here's my point. If the only place you see a lack of respect, is in the shrimpers, your missing plenty. Try going farther afield, just move on and before long you'll find a new favorite spot. That will last about 1 season but hey, it's a big piece of water!
    I don't mean to sound churlish but rudeness is kind of a fact of life nowdays.
    You know, something I was thinking about the other day, in America we brag about our diversity. Have you ever stopped and thought how much better off we'd be WITHOUT all that diversity? Send all of them back where they came from and not only those old ALaskans but many others might be easier to get along with
    Mike

It seems rude behavior creeps into all aspects of our lives, ocean activities included. After fishing the lower Kenai River for twenty five years or so, I developed a pretty thick skin to aggressive behavior. I hadn't noticed it on the saltwater until one day last season. We left very early one morning out to almost the north entrance of Chugach Passage. I guess others had the same idea, as I counted about eight boats anchored around there. "My" spot was taken, so I slowly motored much further south than the group, turned around and proceeded to drop anchor. I was at least 300 yards from the nearest boat. When I scrambled to the bow, a charter boat (who shall remain nameless) who was in the middle of this cluster of eight or so, started screaming obscenities at me. It was glassy calm and you could hear everything he said. There is no possible way I was interfering with whatever he was doing. It got to the point where someone in the middle of that cluster told him to pipe down over the VHF. Short story long, we got our fish, pulled up and started to leave. I then realized the guy was still there and thought I'd do a little drive-by and tell him what I thought. Then I saw his clients were what looked to be two fathers and two sons in the 10 year old area. I thought different and as I went by, he let me have it again. I felt bad for his clients, and have tried to steer as many people away from him as I possibly could. I'm sure my actions don't affect his charter sales, but it makes me feel better. It makes you scratch your head though. The bright side was, just that three or four hundred yards to the south of "my" old spot where we ended up, produced great fishing the rest of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Yea well, many "Old Alaskans" wish toto would move BACK to Kansas too but it aint happening now is it?
    Here's my point. If the only place you see a lack of respect, is in the shrimpers, your missing plenty. Try going farther afield, just move on and before long you'll find a new favorite spot. That will last about 1 season but hey, it's a big piece of water!
    I don't mean to sound churlish but rudeness is kind of a fact of life nowdays.
    You know, something I was thinking about the other day, in America we brag about our diversity. Have you ever stopped and thought how much better off we'd be WITHOUT all that diversity? Send all of them back where they came from and not only those old ALaskans but many others might be easier to get along with
    Mike
    Master of Metal not had his coffee yet? Hope your in a good mood to work on my project !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default So I don't Offend anyone...

What is an acceptible distance to set from someone's pot's??? Does the size of the bay make a difference, ie smaller bay a little closer?? I try not to get too close but my definition of too close may be different than the next guys.

100' sure seems close.
    With the extra line we all should be running you would think he would be worried about tangling and or crossing lines.
    Regardless of weather anyone has fished a spot before it only makes sense to give a guy a little room just for the sake of not crossing/tangling lines.
    I like to give someone about 1/10 of a mile between pots according to my GPS when crabbing in Homer. I am guessing I may need to stretch that a bit for shrimping to be sure I don't cross someone who may have multiple pots on one string.
    Especialy since I have a "toy" puller (Ace line hauler) that would not pull two strings of pots that were crossed.
    I am glad you all have the commom courtesy to be nice and let these incidents go. The signs of a true Alaskan outdoorsmans to be sure.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Aye matey and a thing of beauty she is for sure. Your gonna need a section of pyrex (glass stove pipe) just so they can see my bracket inside.

As for the mood, the older I get the less patience I seem to have especially for rudeness. I guess i found it funny that someone drove thru the Anchorage trafic, screwed with the tunnel and launch in Whittier then made their way out thru all those horray for me boat drivers with little or no regard for "the rules of the road" only to find one rude person in his secret spot.

I firmly believe that sales would soar if Chevrolet would mount M-60'S on the hood's of their car's and trucks!
    Until then, have a nice day everyone!
    Mike

Default 400-500 feet

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    What is an acceptable distance to set from someones pot's??? Does the size of the bay make a difference, ie smaller bay a little closer?? I try not to get too close but my definition of too close may be different than the next guys.
    I run four pots per string right now with 500 - 600 feet of line. Usually 250-375 feet deep. So if you do a little math and you have no idea what direction I ran the string 400-500 feet away in all directions seems reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Aye matey and a thing of beauty she is for sure. Your gonna need a section of pyyrex sectionrex (glass stove pipe) just so they can see my bracket inside.

As for the mood, the older I get the less patience I seem to have especially for rudeness. I guess i found it funny that someone drove thru the Anchorage trafic, screwed with the tunnel and launch in Whittier then made their way out thru all those horray for me boat drivers with little or no regard for "the rules of the road" only to find one rude person in his secret spot.

I firmly believe that sales would soar if Chevrolet would mount M-60'S on the hood's of their car's and trucks!
    Until then, have a nice day everyone!
    Mike
    I'm going to go gillnetting just to use my stove and watch that cap spin around without any squeaks, chirps or groans Hey i might even get you on the boat to see it work!! As for the pyrex section I'm going to get my wife to make a stained glass section to showcase your work?
    My patience also gets a bit short at times when fishing & dealing with people in boats (like when they run over my net!) although when folks are at the potbarn i really do like showing them how to get rigged up, never had anyone there yet that i wanted to see leave soon, guess its good therapy for me.
    If and when anyone sets too close or over to me well i've got a few(?) lobstahman tricks that will make them (or their gear) go away, with my hauler 2,3 or 4 sets of gear over me wouldn't make any difference i'll just pick up the whole ball and deal with it accordingly.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast