Thread: should i move?

Default should i move?

i have my bait station like i said up in the bluffs of the copper river, its been since may 3rd since ive set the station and i got 2 barrels of bait, one is full of popcorn and syrup and the other is dog food and oil grease and i got a bait em scent ball hanging suspened between to two trees 10 feet high between the 2 barrels, and i used two containers of anise balls and threw them down the bluff and around the surronding areas in the woods behind the station, i have only had one hit and that was last week and it was a teny tiny black bear acutally he was small enough not to trip the cam but he got some dog food out of the hole and moved the sticks out of the hole but he didnt take much food at all, i havent been back past 4 days since then, should i move? or should i wait another week, its been in the 80's here in copper center

Default How many baits can you put out in that GMU?

To me it is getting late in the season to be starting over. Not that you couldn't, but normally I am trying to finish at this point, not start. How warm has it been compared to past years? How late do guys normally find good hair on bears there?
    Any chance you can put out another bait? You might try prospecting. Get as stinky a bucket full of something rotten that you can find, and go hang it high in a tree somewhere. Then take another bucket full of grease and dog food and wire it to a tree. Add a bag or two of old doughnuts or whatever and see what happens.
    If you want to get crazy, then spray with anise or something on the way in and the way back out to mark the trail for the bears. I'd make it as simple and easy as possible at this point.

I dont know, i will see what happeneds in the next few days, im going back to check it tommow night, last yr i wasnt running this station but i know people did shot 3 blackies on it last yr around june 5th but they were tiny then june 12 it was hit hard by a big nasty grizz so im thinking i should be patient and something will come! but just need some feedback, im sure i will get a grizz on it since it is on the way to the copper river, another indication no one hasnt see any bears on the bluffs yet this yr even on the other side

Talking

u can have two stations whoops i forgot to mention that

If you haven't been hit, or still just light activity, do a jello burn. I hear baitem also has an anise burn recipe thats very good. Bring a sterno can and empty coffee can, a packet or two of jello, and let it smoke away for a while. Have to set the coffee can above the sterno a little bit on a couple rocks , or hang it by wire, so the sterno can breath. The scented smoke will travel miles. Good luck!

I'm assuming you just add some water w/the jello mix and let her go? I've been cookin' some bacon at my site lately, talk about smellin' up the woods

From talking to a friend in that area he doesn't normally get hit till the end of May or first of June. I know this year he has had a grizz and small blackie on his baits as of last week.

This past weekend I was up at Klutina lake and didn't see a lot of bear sign but we did manage to connect with the only bear we spotted.

I would hold my ground and wait em out.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default I know people that bait

down your way also. Seems that they start hitting alot later than other areas. I am usually done baiting here in unit 12 by June 1 due to hair quality and other things, but I know of people that shot their blacks on the last day of baiting season in 13 on June 15 (I think it is now June 30). Hold out and keep at it. If it was a new sight, I would say move, but since it was used, you have a possibility of having some hits soon. Only bum thing is the # of baiters and not many big bears. Have seen a TON of 4-5 footers killed. Too small to even interest me, but good luck!

hey , i went to the station today and found that a bear has been there, sure enough i looked on the cam it was a blackie but for some reason he was there in the middle of the day and didnt eat much at all and stayed around for bout 5 mins, by the way i have time on the camarea wrong
    Attached Images Attached Images

another shot of him
    Attached Images Attached Images

First visit... he'll pattern pretty soon. The one I shot last year was on cam 3 days straight at 11 am. So the 4th day I was sitting there when she showed at 11 am again.

Patience. If you bait'em, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Patience. If you bait'em, they will come.
    Yeah, after 30 June

Wesak, if you dont get one .. we'll go out and (attempt) toget ya one... I'm dying to get out on the hillsides but early summer is kinda family time, minus my 2 bait stations... If those dont pan out, or i cant get the grizz off them, Im going glassing

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

woops, got to watch Spartacus and double posted... lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.