Thread: ethanol fuel

Default ethanol fuel

Is ethanol fuel sold in Alaska and what does it do to the outboard?

Default IF

if the fuel has ethenol it has to be marked on the pump. I haven't seen any here in my short 2 years. Each bulk plant makes up their own recipe. Back in MT a couple weeks ago I talked with the bulk plant owner in a small town. My dad was jazzing him about his fuel prices (old friends) - he doesn't add ethenol because, according to him, the older generation of cars in that area don't run good on them.

From what I understand the 10 or 15% ethenol content will dramatically reduce your fuel mileage so you really aren't saving anything but some oil, and not much at that. Those big corn combines take a little bit of fuel to plant and harvest.

If the US wants to save oil then maybe BP should recycle some oil out of the Gulf of Mexico.............

Thanks to former Gov. Frank Murkowski we no longer have any oxygenated or blended fuels sold in the state. It was no longer needed, the fuel did not store well, and it drove the cost of producing fuel in the state very high.

Thanks Mr. Murkowski for your foresight in ensuring we did not encounter many of the problems associated with using blended fuels.

Default why

So why is it that the fuel is so high priced in alaska compared to say Montana or Wyoming?

I belive that even my snogos have warnings in the user manuals about alcohol or ethenol in the fuel...being a bad thing.

I think the question of why the differences in fuel prices goes well beyond the ethanol difference.

I called around a couple of years ago to see if there was ethanol in gasoline and was told no, not in AK. This is a really good thing. You read about the boat owners in the Lower 48 and their issues, including fiberglass tanks dissolving.

Funny how the big sign at the gas station at International and Arctic (I think) always says "Real" gasoline. Assuming they mean no ethanol. Then all gasoline in Alaska is Real. Prices there are usually higher there than other places, but I just keep an eye on the diesel price.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Is ethanol fuel sold in Alaska and what does it do to the outboard?
    No, as discussed by others don't have any of that in the gas. And thank god because it creates a good deal of havoc in the carbs of outboards. Since they started putting it in the fuel in Washington, it has caused me a LOT of heartache with my boat I use down there. So much in fact, that I store everything without any gas in it at all which is a PITA......But hey, at least no harm is done. If you see a pump that has ethanol, avoid like the plague.....

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I think the question of why the differences in fuel prices goes well beyond the ethanol difference.

I called around a couple of years ago to see if there was ethanol in gasoline and was told no, not in AK. This is a really good thing. You read about the boat owners in the Lower 48 and their issues, including fiberglass tanks dissolving.

Funny how the big sign at the gas station at International and Arctic (I think) always says "Real" gasoline. Assuming they mean no ethanol. Then all gasoline in Alaska is Real. Prices there are usually higher there than other places, but I just keep an eye on the diesel price.
    That is a sign that was left over from our blended fuel days.......we had blended fuel in Anchorage but could by real gasoline(not blended) out in the Valley.

This is as I have heard it.....The reason the price is so high for our fuel even though it is produced here is because they have to price it just as if we sent it (crude) to the lower 48 to be processed and then ship it (gasoline) back.

I know one day I was sitting at a Marina here in Ak and the attendant told me I had to wait as he had to call to Seattle to find out what the set price was for that day.....and of course the price went up a couple of cents. Now why did the price increase when they had a couple thousand gallons sitting in storage behind the station and they were not current refilling nor had they refilled during the prior days that I was there. Actually they refueled the storage tanks 5 days later, yes the price went up again.

The profit margin for refineries in AK are something like twice what they are for refineries in the Lower 48. They charge what they charge in part because they can.