Thread: Buying a used ATV

Question Buying a used ATV

I am purchasing my first ATV on Wednesday and was wondering what I need to get from the owner to prove sale and my ownership. Can a signed receipt from him or a homemade bill of sale work or what do I do

I do not want to buy this and then get screwed with after the fact

Thank you

Eric

Everytime I buy or sell something used ,My wife types up a paper saying that the Atv or whatever is clear of all leins , Then make sure they sign it and I always ask for thier drivers license and write that number down as well. That just covering your behind if it's stolen

You can do an online search for a sample bill of sale. Print out two copies and have each party sign and witness it. That should be enough proof for DMV or your insurance company.
    But before you seal the deal I would call up the local police or state police and ask them to run the VIN numbers to make sure it is not stolen.
    You may also be able to verify the owner is the legal owner through the local atv dealership if the owner purchased it there.
    Tennessee

Default Certificate

Just like a boat motor when people purchase an ATV they will get a certificate if there is no lien on it. You could get it, but I imagine some folks throw them away. If they did have a lien on it you could ask the bank (or other place they borrowed the money from) for a letter.

Ask him for the certificate of origin. That is what you get instead of a title for atv's. If he does not have that, but has the atv registered throught the DMV under his name I would consider it legit.