Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "DO" Aggressive and Hostile posts impact the free exchange of useful & valuable Info.

Default "DO" Aggressive and Hostile posts impact the free exchange of useful & valuable Info.

To what extent, if any does Hostile and Aggressive posts impede the free exchange of useful and valuable information.....???

To ask the same question differently, say that today you learned some valuable and useful information that will profoundly impact the hunting community in Alaska, would you be inclined to say, "I just don't need the grief", I'll with-hold the information rather than deal with the caustic responses from fellow members........??????

Well I'm getting old and have a tat on my left arm in big letters that says TRUTH and on my right it says No Regrets. I call it like I see it most of the time. Many things can be learned with harsh words just like soft spoken.My self if talking about sheep I give the bow hunter that got his at 25 yards many more points than someone who shot theirs at five hunted yards with the latest wizbang rifle with 20power scope

Smile Yep

Unfortuntly yes it does. no one likes getting bashed wether it's here or in person. You got some valuable info to share?!?

Yes. Unfortunately.

Touchy egos, weak grasps of logic, and even weaker vocabularies abound here, apparently.
    Last edited by Erik in AK; 05-25-2010 at 23:43. Reason: and typos too
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default Hot juicy tips...

on the Ft. Rich Solider inre: Killin' two swans???

For sure.

I find that the subjects of "Native Alaskans" and "Subsistance" bring out the jelouse lazy types into full key pounding action here.
    The lack of understanding and shows of ignorance abound in threads that could actually be interesting as well as informative.

I got very selective on what I post long ago, as well I'm not interested in posting alot of what I do, I just can afford to have enough Tampons around to plug the gush from some guys.......

Why bother?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It depends on what you consider "Aggressive and Hostile". IMO, only a very few posts qualify as "Aggressive and Hostile", even though some Moderators deem them so.

I don't mind reading strong opinions. That's the real world. We can deal with it.

Someone who throws around insults, and macho, and toots his own horn, soon loses credibility.

Arguments, usually work themselves out, and the ideas get out.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

You get alot of rural guys who get rubbed the wrong way about subsistence.... they start spouting off about the us urban folks and some forget that we too work to support ourselves...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

They definitely impede, and there's not a bit of doubt about that.

To what extent or degree? That's a matter of opinion. Some folks couldn't care less what they say, or what is said to them..."bring it on". Others take affront at being called an idiot, dope...being told their opinion is stupid and dangerously wrong.

What good value is there in aggressively challenging someone's viewpoint and deliberately insulting them on an informational forum?

Guys who do this are mentally and socially unsuccessful. I happen to believe they are largely cowards in real life and poor communicators. Angry people; they have little control over their emotions. For the most part, they would never speak to others this way if placed in a public setting (say an auditorium with a couple hundred people looking on). Put them in front of (behind?) a monitor and the anonymity it offers....suddenly the aggression and hostility becomes easy to spout. Why is this? Because there is no punishment...no painful backlash...no lasting negative from doing it.

For a webmaster or moderator, keeping some kind of social order is imperative. I've seen forums degenerate into vulgar name-calling and threats of physical harm. Who doesn't believe that this would impede the sharing of useful information? I don't like censorship, but a privately owned and maintained website has exactly that right...and maybe obligation. It's a hard and thankless job to evaluate forum posts and yank the offenders. I'd be one of the toughest moderators around, because I'd want a visit to my forums to be informative and (generally) pleasant. Above all, I would consistently watch for the cancerous troublemakers, and I'd publicly "correct" them...once....then ban them.

For those moderators reading this: I come here to get information and ideas. I come here to get opinions, and to exchange thoughts. I don't mind seeing a strong opinion which is thoughtfully expressed.

I don't come here to argue, insult or word-fight. I think such behavior demeans the quality of the forums. I also think it pushes away many good and reasonable folks who detest e-bullies.

Kevin

yes.

The same information can be shared and discussed, without shouting, insulting, and chest pounding.

And I believe more people will "hear" what your saying if your not calling someone an idiot, just before you make your statement.

Unless of course your referring to Wash. D. C. and then by all means use whatever word best describes the situation lol

All I can say is AMEN, K Dill!

Default Loose interest?

I think this is one of the best sites I have ever had the pleasure of being part of, alot of very good members for sure!
    However, I loose interest when it leaves topic and becomes a pushing match. I left a decent site 2 years ago that got to be overun by a few that just found a place to pick fights. I have been married 34 years and can do that at home!
    I have learned a lot, enjoyed some great posts, and had numerous laughs here and hope I have contributed like wise. I hope it stays "sane" for a long time....

How can there possibly be aggressive or hostile posts, at least on this forum? Don't the moderators take care of that?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    They definitely impede, and there's not a bit of doubt about that.

To what extent or degree? That's a matter of opinion. Some folks couldn't care less what they say, or what is said to them..."bring it on". Others take affront at being called an idiot, dope...being told their opinion is stupid and dangerously wrong.

What good value is there in aggressively challenging someone's viewpoint and deliberately insulting them on an informational forum?

Guys who do this are mentally and socially unsuccessful. I happen to believe they are largely cowards in real life and poor communicators. Angry people; they have little control over their emotions. For the most part, they would never speak to others this way if placed in a public setting (say an auditorium with a couple hundred people looking on). Put them in front of (behind?) a monitor and the anonymity it offers....suddenly the aggression and hostility becomes easy to spout. Why is this? Because there is no punishment...no painful backlash...no lasting negative from doing it.

For a webmaster or moderator, keeping some kind of social order is imperative. I've seen forums degenerate into vulgar name-calling and threats of physical harm. Who doesn't believe that this would impede the sharing of useful information? I don't like censorship, but a privately owned and maintained website has exactly that right...and maybe obligation. It's a hard and thankless job to evaluate forum posts and yank the offenders. I'd be one of the toughest moderators around, because I'd want a visit to my forums to be informative and (generally) pleasant. Above all, I would consistently watch for the cancerous troublemakers, and I'd publicly "correct" them...once....then ban them.

For those moderators reading this: I come here to get information and ideas. I come here to get opinions, and to exchange thoughts. I don't mind seeing a strong opinion which is thoughtfully expressed.

I don't come here to argue, insult or word-fight. I think such behavior demeans the quality of the forums. I also think it pushes away many good and reasonable folks who detest e-bullies.

Kevin
    +1, well said
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Another + for K Dill. Very sound statements. We all have to be from somewhere, have different experiences and ideals, but no one died and made any one of us king. I too, love this forum, and have gained a lot of valuable information by asking and just reading every thread. I wish to continue. Knute

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    To ask the same question differently, say that today you learned some valuable and useful information that will profoundly impact the hunting community in Alaska, would you be inclined to say, "I just don't need the grief", I'll with-hold the information rather than deal with the caustic responses from fellow members........??????
    Why would the Messanger be held in low regard for the Message he/she presented? Information, Ideas, Money, Guns and Thoughts are useless if they are kept in a deep dark hole.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Unhappy

I'm sure the criticism and fighting has been to the detriment of this site. Just look at the way somebody gets grilled who posts a picture or a hunt story. Lots of "is it big enough-how many tines-you shot too far-you laughed when you shot it" type stuff. I'm amazed anyone posts a pic or story here anymore. The numbers of stories and pictures that we all come here to see and share seem to be dwindling.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all...lol.

Default Two things

It's the internet, nothing really to get worked up about. With that said, this site is incredibly informational. I've learned a lot since coming here.

Aggressive posts can be warranted at times. A good argument needs to be had. Hostile posts, those usually result from when you've lost the argument and aren't ready to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Hostile posts, those usually result from when you've lost the argument and aren't ready to admit it.
    +1- nothing sucks like the moment during an argument when your realize that you're wrong.

Yes it does, and they usually remind me of why i dont read and post on the Hunting forum that much anymore, it gets really old after a while.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast