Thread: Grease

Default Grease

So i hear everyone saying very good things about grease, i have put out dog food, popcorn, oats, syrup, 2 907baitem items (anise flavors) and have only had one bear a brownie. The bait has been out a little over a week. so anyways my question is can you just get grease at any fast food place or what?

personally I dont do grease and I dont like it.So my question to you is... Your stand location, is it new or an established site? Im leaning towards new? And if it is give it some time.
    It sounds like you have all the right stuff out there and it should do good If there are bears in the area. I do wish you the best of luck dude. Daniel

Give it time time time.

Quote Originally Posted by dreez View Post
    So i hear everyone saying very good things about grease, i have put out dog food, popcorn, oats, syrup, 2 907baitem items (anise flavors) and have only had one bear a brownie. The bait has been out a little over a week. so anyways my question is can you just get grease at any fast food place or what?

Default New

brand new site

I think you must not be putting any work into it... oh wait... we are at the same site...

Quote Originally Posted by dreez View Post

Yes, that is where you get it. Usually they throw out the grease they change out a couple days a week.

Default grease and oil

Fry oil stays liquid. Grease off of the grill will congeal. I'll use both. Restaurants have to pay to get rid of it, so most of them will be happy if you take their old stuff.
    Kentucky Fried Chicken used to be a great place to get it. I have not been there in years though.

Grease is harder to clean up and typically brings in more browns than anything else based on my discussions with those who use it. Most the restarunts I've talked to said they have their used grease picked up by various companies and isn't easy to obtain like it was in the past. I have 10 gallons from a local restarunt if you want to try it.. I'm not using any this year after so many brown bear testimonals. I'll look tomorrow to make sure it's still in the garage with my extra bait if your interested.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default To start

I use one pail to start the bait going for the season. But after that I stop. Remember that you must remove any contaminated soil when you clean up the site. Humm.... CSI Alaska might have to investigate the stand to determine exactly how much that means. But as I was told, as long as it is not plainly visible you are fine. If it is readily visible to the eye, you could be required to remove all soil in the area. Just some thought.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have 15 gallons of fryer grease that I will give away if anyone wants it. When I used it, it doubled or tripeled the browns on my site.

I'd agree the brownies love it. Watched a sow and a cub the other night. They looked at the bread, and gnawed on a couple pieces, but really tore up the ground that had grease remnants in it.

Thumbs up back before all the reg's

i used grease/oil . The blk-bears even years latter... ate a 2 foot hole in the ground 4' around! they would play in it then run off in the woods with there greas'e feet and bring more of them back
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Not sure

where the clean up is on grease. They usually eat the dirt and all you have a is hole there. Have never understood where grease is more favorable to grizz than blacks. I guess you will all use what you use. To me, grease is the most valuable thing I have at my stands that bring bears in. The second most is not shooting the sows that are feeding there as they are as good as bait once mating starts.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i always use it... the grain and dog food swell up with it and the bears are able to digest the grains in sweet feed better...it slowes down the feed poor out of the drum and suger sweetend chicken fry grease drive them nuts
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

No wonder the browns are hitting your popcorn.. its the grease from past baits
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I got 6 gallons or better of frying grease(like to deep fry a bit food now and than) but been worried about using it as far as attracting browns go. I use molasses instead, it is sweet as all can be, thick, sticky and go in great with popcorn or COB. Thickens up the mixture so its harder for the bears to get the bait out of the barrel.