Thread: Trout pole V. hungry Loon

Default Trout pole V. hungry Loon

I had a great day fishing a local stocked lake for trout today. Mike at 3 Rivers had some 2lb leader in the discount tub, and it worked very well. I fished on the bottom with a sliding weight and floating bait. The first fish hit hard and as I was adjusting the drag, it really began to pull very hard on my 8.5ft rod. I loosened it up and it ran hard, bending the pole to the extreme. The line came up quick and when I expected to see a large trout jump.... A large loon surfaced with my fish in its mouth!
    When the bird went to readjust to swallow MY catch, I yanked the fish free and reeled like crazy. The Loon followed my fish quickly, and showed no fear of fighting me up close!
    We ended up with five nice rainbows, and lost one nice Dolly that broke the light leader.

Mitch

A buddy and I were out on a local trout lake and had a Loon chase his rainbow right under his Cat. Those things are a lot bigger than they look!!!

We were fishing on the island out in Tolsona, those loons are very territorial.lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

wasnt knik lake was it....i had a huge loon come after a landlocked silver a few years back....it was quite the tug of war
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Not Knik, it was near the sign that read "Don't hassle the loons"

I guess they can read.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsDriftboat View Post
    Not Knik, it was near the sign that read "Don't hassle the loons"

I guess they can read.

See that's your problem, you should have been at the other end of the lake with the sign that says "Don't hassle the humans!!!!"

The loons in the stocked lakes have gotten very bold over the last 20 years. Once a loon spots you catching fish it doesn't take long for them to show up. Every exhausted fish I released was quickly snapped up by a loon. I even watched a loon choke down a rainbow that was 18"