Thread: Welder needed

Default Welder needed

I am looking for an aluminium welder to do some welding on my raft frame. Does anyone know of an individual with a good reputation that doesn't charge an arm and a leg? I am looking at a small project maybe 1-2 hours max.

Thanks-

Default I weld aluminum

I do quite a bit of aluminum welding at my house. What do you have going?

Default Welding

I have tig, mig, plasma cutter, tubing bender, etc and could probably fix you up. Where you located?

Default Me Too

But not going to pay $10+ an inch for welding. I'll wait till I get a chance at using a machine, I guess!

It sounds like you know how to weld Alum. If that true why are you complaining about the cost? If you had a welder that cost $3000 would you let a person use it? And how much would you charge that person or would not charge nothing?

Default Never said

never said I had a machine , did say I can weld, never said I wouldn't pay, did say my little 8" of welding was not worth paying $120 or $10+ an inch.
    Gee Rut I'm not sure where you are coming from, I have done a lot of favors and not been paid for, helped one member wire up some boat stuff never asked for anything, didn't expect anything, did get a beer. How Much I would charge was never a subject line, if I had loads of money I would pay, not need to pay a huge shop when I was looking for a home body who wanted an extra $50 in his pocket.

If I hinted that I wanted anything for free, or you took as looking for free you'll need to dig deeper.

Go judge someone else my friend, sorry!

The point I was trying to make is if you know how to weld, you would know it take time to talked to the person, find out what needs to be welded, prepare the area to be welded before you even turn the welder on, this all take time and for a shop to do a one time 8 inch weld their loosing money. Also most welders know shops that will help a follow welder out and give him a break.

If you reread my post you will see I said. “If you had a welder that cost $3000 would you let a person use it? And how much would you charge that person or would not charge nothing?”

I have a welder and I was considering letting you use it, assuming you really know how to weld. I wanted to know if you had a welder and “I” wanted to use it what you would charge if any. Thats all a mood point now.

8 inches for $120 is actually $15 per inch.

I've spent a LOT of time in fabrication shops and have never, ever seen a shop that charges by the inch of welding. Man, do you realize how much a Cook Inlet skiff would cost if the welding work was billed at $15 per inch? No, the charge is based on time with a minimum. If the shop rate is $120 per hour with a 1-hour minimum, then it doesn't matter if it was 8 inches or 8 feet of welding that was done.

Did you ever go into a restaurant and say, "I know how to cook, can I get an order of fries for free?" so why would you go into a guy's welding business and expect the same?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default And hence

And hence exactly why I wanted shade tree welding type person.
    I'm so spupid to think that a shop with overhread , insurance, employees, would not want to make money, yup thats exactly what I said. And thanks for the math lesson I never would of figured that one out either!
    But never mind!

Default you can use mine

I have a tiny miller with gas and a spool gun that you can try if you want. PM me. I haven't been very successful with it on what I was trying to stick together.

Welder wanted give me a call, I don't charge by the inch, if you need a word on my work ask just about anyone or look at my facebook pics, better yet call weld air I take their overflow almost daily. and to you bullelkklr I told you to bring it out I'd help you set it and give you a lesson on how to make it weld
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks guys for all your help and replies. I was chatting with my neighbor and he welded it up for me. It was a really small project and the welding shops were going to charge me $100/hr 30 min minimum. My neighbor did a fairly decent job for $20 and a day float.

I'm glad it work out for you on getting it welded. May i make a suggestion, in the furture you might say where in the world you live and give more details like your throwing in a day float.

I'm a small shop and don't have any problem with those types of jobs, my commutes hell about 50 feet, along with a float the guy really made out!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Smile Welder

My name is Jason. I charge $60/hour, hour minimum. You can see pictures of projects I have done on my website, www.alumineyman.webs.com
    I am a slope worker on a 2X2 schedule but took some time off so I'll be home till the middle of July. If interested, please call me at 357-3861 or reply on my website.
    Thanks!