Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT&T users - can you access NOAA weather sites?

Default AT&T users - can you access NOAA weather sites?

Since last week, I can no longer access NOAA web sites with my iPhone (AT&T). The NOAA web sites provide weather and, more importantly to me, marine forecasts. I've been in contact with NOAA and they state that they are aware of the problem and that the problem is with AT&T in Alaska. NOAA has had people in the Lower 48 try to connect and it works fine.

So are any of you having problems like this? Again, the problem is with phones and not home computers.

Check one or both of these sites:
    www.weather.gov Then choose Marine and see if it connects.
    or
    www.noaa.gov Then choose Weather and see if it connects.

Until about a week ago I had a NOAA app on my phone. I prefer Accuweather so I deleted NOAA. Go to the app store and search for NOAA weather. There are numerous radar and buoy data apps available. Probably weathercams, too. Aviation weathercams are easy with an app by Skuptech.com.

At the moment I can't get weather.gov to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Since last week, I can no longer access NOAA web sites with my iPhone (AT&T). The NOAA web sites provide weather and, more importantly to me, marine forecasts. I've been in contact with NOAA and they state that they are aware of the problem and that the problem is with AT&T in Alaska. NOAA has had people in the Lower 48 try to connect and it works fine.

So are any of you having problems like this? Again, the problem is with phones and not home computers.

Check one or both of these sites:
    www.weather.gov Then choose Marine and see if it connects.
    or
    www.noaa.gov Then choose Weather and see if it connects.
    Same problem on my iPhone, it connects just fine if I'm using wireless, but won't go through 3G.

I started having the same problem last week. Glad to see I'm not the only one, but it still stinks not being able to check the marine forecast on the go.

You tried this on your phone and got it to work? It just timed out on my phone.

You tried this on your phone and got it to work? It just timed out on my phone.
    Yes, works for me on an iPhone. Where are you located? Maybe it's a local service issue...

In Anchorage around 16th and C, but also same problem in Eagle River and all places in between.

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    Maybe it's a local service issue...
    Seems to still work fine on ACS 3g using a android phone so it is not the NOAA site but rather your service provider. I would call em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Seems to still work fine on ACS 3g using a android phone so it is not the NOAA site but rather your service provider. I would call em up.
    I called AT&T. The only number is for a Lower 48 office. I might as well have been talking to a pile of silly putty. I don't know if there's a local number to call. The person at the number I called said there are not AT&T offices in AK.

I called AT&T. The only number is for a Lower 48 office. I might as well have been talking to a pile of silly putty. I don't know if there's a local number to call. The person at the number I called said there are not AT&T offices in AK.
    That kind of service is why I dont have a iPhone. I use a MAC computer and a ipod touch so it would be real nice to have a iPhone synced to it but I just can't handle at&t. Instead I use a Android phone from acs which does all the stuff the iPhone does. It is harder to type on and takes third party software to make it sync to mac but it is better than dealing with at&t. Someday maybe Apple will release the iPhone to other carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    iPhone is the best thing that's ever happened to the cell phone biz.
    I would agree that the iPhone is the best phone on the market and I would love to have one but at&t is the worst provider in the state.

We disagree on that. I've had a corporate account with ACS for several years. I switched my own cell phone to ATT and the iPhone a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. I still have ACS phones, too, but I won't carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    We disagree on that. I've had a corporate account with ACS for several years. I switched my own cell phone to ATT and the iPhone a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. I still have ACS phones, too, but I won't carry one.
    They must have better service down there in the city than they do up here in the sticks.

To report issues on the iPhone download AT&T's app called "AT&T Mark The Spot". You can report coverage an data issues. I put the problem site's URL into the "Additional info" field.

Unfortunately, because my iPhone is a company phone, our IT gurus made it so that the phone will not load apps.

AT&T on iPhones here in AK is good. When you're in the Lower 48, it bites. I think too many people down there have them and it makes loading so slow.

Default phone

it will work only if you have wifi on and connected. if you call the nws # at 266-5145 it gives you all the information the website does you just have to go through the selected prompts for your area. It will give you marine, aviation, and land based weather.

Default Same Problem

I too have had the same problem in Whittier, Eagle River, Anchorage and the Valley. My Iphone as of a week or so ago won't access the NOAA site for marine weather. Even if I try going thru Safari to get to the NOAA site. Very Frustrating!!!

I just went to the AT&T store. They could not access the sites with their iPhone but then they tried it using a Motorola phone and it went right through. They said it must be an Apple problem and I tend to agree.

I opened the typical www.weather.gov on my iPad and it works, but I noticed a different URL in the browser address bar after the page opened. When I used this address in my iPhone (3G) the NOAA site pops right up and marine weather works fine. Try it for yourself.

pafc.arh.noaa.gov

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast