Thread: Safe anchorage near Latouche island

Default Safe anchorage near Latouche island

Can you recommend any spots for overnighting near Latouche? I haven't been to this area yet and would like to make plans ahead of the weekend. Left my copy of the "Cruising Guide" in the boat at Whittier. Any pointers greatly appreciated. How's shrimping this far out?

Default Shrimping is Better the farther North you go

Shrimping is so so down there in my experience. Definately worth doing just not as productive. You also have to find your spots.

Either Thumb cove at N60 12.388 W147 48.858 or Snug harbor at N60 15.674 W147 45.883 are good anchorages. Both are on the southern portion of Knight Island.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

The shrimping is pretty spotty down there as mentioned above. The town of Chenega has a dock and there are a few lodges back in the bay also, jumping salmon lodge being of them.
    BK

Default Gas?

Can you buy gas at the Chenaga dock? or the Lodge?
    Mike

Default Buying gas at Chenaga dock

A few years back I contacted the Chenaga Native offices - I think it was here in Anchorge and was told that they did not sell fuel. There are lodges close by to the Chenaga village but I don't think they sell fuel either.

Default shrimp

Just got back this weekend down my Knight. Set my pots for the day near Eshamy Bay, got like 10 shrimp for 6 pots. Then set by Knight overnight and had even less. If that is the case, next time I plan on going down that way I probably will not even bother taking the pots... it's a pain for just a few shrimp. Did way better up by Passage.

No one sells gas down there that I know of, need to carry what you need.
    Down that far you also run into charter boats coming out of Seward.
    Good luck,
    BK

I figured so much and bought 4 fuel totes last time home.

As for shrimp that far south, you can get some over in the Jack pot bay area. Out in the big water toward icy bay is a small island called "Jack Pot Island", and between that island and the main land shrimp reside. They are not huge, most are in the 5 to 6 1/2 inch range and you will not get a gallon per pot either. But for the guy "in the neighborhood" looking for some grillers, you'll do fine. Fishing 4 pots I'll take a little over a gallon of tails each pull.

I have noticed folks working pots inside jack pot bay as well, if you try that let me know how you did! It just never seemed shrimpy to me.
    Mike

Default PWS anchorages

The Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound will give you details on anchorages in almost every location throughout the sound. Can be purchased at Title Wave Books