Thread: Polaris Ranger vs Honda Big Red

Default Polaris Ranger vs Honda Big Red

I am looking at side by sides and am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Honda Big Red. There is lots of info about Polaris but not much on Honda. As far as wheelers go I am a tried and true honda guy that ranger 6x6 is a head turner. Just wanting some opinions.

I don't own either of the 2 but if I were to buy a sidexside it would be the Polaris Razr or Ranger. I'm a diehard Honda guy myself but that Big Red is just plain big and ugly and new, whereas the Polaris rigs are tried and true. An 800 Razr would be my dream UTV.

I got to ride in one of the Rzr 4 seaters this weekend. That thing was awesome.

Default Ranger vs. Razr

Ranger for hunting and hauling gear.

Razr for going fast, rallying, jumps, doughnuts, sligging mud, etc.

Default Hands down...Ranger!

There is absolutely no comparing the Big Red to the Ranger. The Big Red's place is on a farm maybe in Kansas, definitely not the Alaskan back country.

We checked out all the UTV's including the Big Red before I got a Ranger XP LE for my wife. I found the Big Red more of a farm/work horse than a hunting/riding rig. My son got the RZRS and that thing is a beast. He loves it. My wife and I are very pleased with the Ranger and it has surprized us all around on its performance.

Thanks for the input.

I picked up the RZR for hunting... It works great , don't underestimate it as a play toy... Lighter, and has less of a turning radius than a ranger... I have yet to really get it stuck..... OK once, but it was deeeeeeep... and Mod elan's ranger got stuck there to ..so.. I'm justified..lol I think he even had the 6wheeler doing 10mph going into the brush is rough but doing 60mph coming out is BEAUTIFUL

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Some thoughts to ponder???

When deciding on buying a machine, make sure you look at what you will be using it for. Here is some of my thoughts on side by sides. The Honda is relatively new, so probably most don't have much more than a little bit of experience with it. Here is my opinion on the Polaris.

While we all have our opinions, FACT is: the RANGER 6x6 will kick the RZR's arse in any "real" mud. While we all can get stuck, fact is some machines might have a tendency to get high centered a bit more, take my 6x6 wheeler for example. Might get high centered before a 4 wheeler, but I will take it any day over one. So in places where the ground is hard and rutted, there is a good possibility of getting high centered, you may do just that, be high centered. That my friends is NOT being stuck. Stuck is when your machine is in mud up to the top of the tires and won't move! That is real mud and that is where all machines may fail. I would never comment on "which" machine is better than another unless I have experienced some "real" ALASKAN trail conditions, which is not usually found on hard packed trails.

I know when I post on something I try to use "more" than a season of experience before I post. That is why I take a lot of post on here with a grain of salt. People buy their new machines and then use them for racing and normal trail riding, but don't really get to experience them in "real" conditions and then say their machine is the BOMB! This goes the same for most anything though.....

Also when people are commenting on issues, even though you may be joking, it is best not to post about others. There are some people on these forums that "know" their stuff and they would be the first people that I would ask for help. If you post about someone, even tongue in cheek, there is a good possibility that others reading may then start to question their credibility. The one thing that we all don't know is the circumstances to why something happened? For example: if someone got stuck with their machine, was there other issues to take into account? Was there a broken front axle? Was there a winch that wasn't working? Was the other rider really stuck or was he just high centered? Did the other rider just need a little "push"? These are all of "some" of the factors that readers don't know. In my "experience" these are all "big" factors in the situation. In my 7 year of experience with a 6x6, if your front two tires aren't turning, you are going to have some issues even in mediocre mud since the back four tend to float.

Another thing to ponder: I know when I am 1, 10 or even 40 miles off the road with my "hunting" rig, especially when I am riding with others (even more so) I am not even "thinking" about "rallying" my machine, bouncing it off of ruts, riding it as hard as I can to prove something. If you've even had to "walk" away from a machine that is broke, you know what I am talking about. Experienced riders and hunters use the mentality of "caution" and making sure that you are not going to do something that could possibly lead to a situation where a machine is broken or even worse, where someone actually gets hurt like if your machine actually gets flipped on its side with passengers in it. "Things" can happen with cautious riding, so taking unnecessary risks out in the field or even around the house is simply "foolish" at best.

So, when you are deciding what to buy, find people that have experience (years) with their machines, ask questions and then make your decision. Make sure you find out how they perform in the "worst" of conditions. Everyone can ride in mediocre conditions, but how will it perform when you really need it is what is important to me. Personally, I will take 6 wheels over 4 any day of the week!

Crow served...., You are correct, One dirty ride cannot attest to the validity of a machine in the pursuit of food. You brought up some great points Thank you.... I just need to get outta the house, had 8 kids running around all week...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Depends on how you are going to use it akfish73,

I was seriously looking at both as well. Here in Juneau there are not any places to ride or go off road, but nearby in Hoonah and Tenakee Springs there are. There is a Honda dealer that had a Big Red and I liked it... but I needed to snow plow and when I was looking they didn't have a plow for it, it had just came out. The Polaris Ranger had the Boss plow a big plus for me, but no dealer.

If you are only going to take it on logging roads or rural community roads then the big red can handle it, but the Polaris is more of an offroader. Use YouTube and look at them both. I truly believe that a Big Red will be a long lived Rural Alaska rig like all the other Honda Products, but know what it was designed for.

The Yamaha Rhino was also on my short list. The Polaris Ranger also has a lot of cab options which is great but all those extras and before you know it you are looking at over 20K. That is a truck. A new Big Red is what 12K?

Just ask yourself what are you going to be using it for. The big red is a heavy duty work rig but limited in more severe duty off roading...

Sobie2