Thread: raft motor size?

Default raft motor size?

With a 9' x 5' wide rowing raft, how fast will a 3.5 hp outboard push it with two guys, a little gear, and a moose? Will a 2 hp be adequate to move along in any current or tides? What speed will a 2 hp do w/ the above load? I've never motored a small raft before. Thanks. j

Default The short answer-

J,

The answer to your first question is "no". That's a huge load for a 9' raft. You could use a three-horse for moving a little faster downstream, but you will be out of luck if you try to push it against the current. With the small outboard, you could expect speeds of about 2-3 mph faster than the current.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default thanks

Mike: Thanks for the speed info. Yes, what I wrote will certainly fill 'er up! To clarify, I am talking about using such a beast to putter in smaller water, away from camp/big boat, yet be somewhat portable, so the "little gear" I mentioned would be very little. The moose might fit, but, man, I'd hate to have to go too far with it whole. Am thinking two or three trips, but wanted an opinion on what the speeds might be w/ a max load. If we can get 4 or 5 mph, that may be just fine. Thanks again. j

Default My results

J,

I'm running an 8-horse on my 18' cat and wouldn't dream of trying to push it against the current. My top downstream speed, including river current speed, as calculated with a GPS, is 9 mph.

When you factor in your boat, a round boat not designed for pushing with an outboard, plus heavy loads, plus a very tiny outboard, I'd be very surprised if you could push it upstream with just yourself in it. You might give that a try on the upper Kenai where outboards are legal- right there at the bridge. At least then you'd know for sure.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default good info

Mike: Good data. That may well change the chemistry of my eventual raft; haven't bought one yet. May be sorry I sold my Zodiac.... j