Thread: Need info on upcoming vacation to Kodiak?

Default Need info on upcoming vacation to Kodiak?

I have never been to Alaska. I think the time is right in my life to spend some time looking at the Mountains, glaciers, panning for gold, fishing for salmon and halibut, and checking out the bears.

The first seminar I attended recently almost scared me out of my socks. What can one reasonably expect to pay for a guided salmon fishing trip, with a day of halibut fishing, and some bear watching?? I figure I am going to go for a 7-10 days. Airfare is going to be about a $1000 from the East Coast, at today's rates. I am hoping to do it this year, but, next year is not out of the question either.

I would like to know of any great guides, and also of those who should be avoided. One may send me private messages on these if they chose. It is for my personal benefit and I don't kiss and tell.

I realize this this is subjective in that I may be fishing for 8-12 hours a day, and three hot meals may be condensed. So, pricing is hard to target..

I plan on bringing my own spinning tackle cause I am not the best fly caster. Have only hooked myself, so far, once with a fly.. Probably won't be the last if the wind kicks up.

Any help the experienced can lend would be appreciated.

Default Depends

Don't know if Alaska Air flys your way, but if you sign up for their credit card they will give you 20k miles to start with and a $50 companion fare ticket (buy one get second seat for $50) yearly fee is $75.
    Prices? A day of Halibut or Salmon fishing less than $200, Cabin rental $100 a night, flyout to Silver Salmon fish and see Bears $315, Ferry from Homer to Kodiak $150 PP, $70 more if you want a room. There are lots of low cost options for a great Alaska trip. Guess it depends if you want a lodge and all meals cooked for you or do you like to fend for yourself in the kitchen and save some money.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

don't waste Kodiak with spinning tackle learn to fly fish :P it all depends on if you are good at fishing or not and if you want to rent a car and drive and hike or not. You can do it yourself or you can shell out the extra bucks to get a guide. I work hard to avoid seeing bears so I can't help you there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default The Kodiak fishery...

It's easy, relatively uncrowded, and can be quite affordable if you know the way. You can fly cast or spin fish, and either technique can be highly productive.

Our webmaster stocks Kodiak Fishing at Any Angle in the book/video store on this site. Everything that you would need to know to ensure the realization of your dream is now in print.

I wrote and published this book myself. Though I am always careful never to guarantee that the angler will catch fish, I can tell you that not a single day ever went by during my Kodiak research that I did not fill my creel...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

If Alaskan Author says it, I believe it! I wouldn't think of going to Kodiak without buying his book on Kodiak or the first one he wrote "Fishing Alaska on a Budget". The later has literally saved me thousands of dollars and the information is accurate, honest, and on target. Buy them both, study them, and not only will they save you money but will give you the information to plan and experience a true "trip of a lifetime".

PS there will not be any fish there between august 15 and august 25 when I am there so tell everyone you know not to go then cause it just won't be worth it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default The B&B bar...

By the way, one of AK's oldest bars is right on the waterfront downtown.
    The B&B is where a lot of crabbers and those in the commercial industry hang out.

It kind of scared me the first time I walked inside, but I soon discovered a lot af genuine warmth, and plenty of tales were to be had in just by stepping in.

If you ever wanted to sample the local flavor of Kodiak's hard-working, this has got to be the place...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com