Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking forward to fishing this weekend!

Default Looking forward to fishing this weekend!

So after a well deserved break from a 14 day gauntlet of work and work training a friend of mine and myself want to go fishing, he uses a heavy spin casting rod and I use a 9wt fly rod. Neither of us have the ability to get into really deep rivers, I only have waiters while he has nothing.
    I'm wondering if anybody knows where we could fish and have a shot of catching something (not pike) Kings would be nice but I think its still too early. We can pretty much make it to any parks system streams and any streams on the kenai pennisula.
    Let me know whats up!
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Cool

The word is the Reds are trickling in down in Seward. Could be good by the end of the week.

Default Not looking forward to the crowds though.....

A couple rivers on the KP open up this weekend for fishing..... expect crowds! I'll be down in Ninilchik so don't go there.... just kiddin! Good luck dude!

I am going to check out the Little Su this weekend. Will report on the # of fish (if any) as well as # of bank-crowders.

Wet some lines in the kp streams leave the valley alone haha just playin
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

You need to bring your own rock to stand on this weekend most places. Too many folks for me to deal with. Think I'm just going to cruise the two wheeler and let you all fight it out. Haha
    Good luck
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

yup, going to be croweded everywhere. I think I am just going to troll around Eklutna Lake and sip on some beers this weekend. Anyone have any Info on Eklutna??? I don't even know if there are any fish there, although I have heard there are dollies???? Guess I'll find out

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by heinhendge3 View Post
    yup, going to be croweded everywhere. I think I am just going to troll around Eklutna Lake and sip on some beers this weekend. Anyone have any Info on Eklutna??? I don't even know if there are any fish there, although I have heard there are dollies???? Guess I'll find out
    There are fish there. Dollies for sure. Go to the far west end where the Eklutna River flows into the lake. Also where creeks flow in are good Bold creek to be specific. They just stocked that lake about 5 days ago. Water level is low. But banks are very steep. Troll right off the shoreline.

Default KP

If the fish show up, the Ninilchik River is in prime water condition. The Anchor and Deep Creek are a little high and muddy. If we get any rain or high temps, Deep Creek and Anchor might still be blown out, but Ninilchik should still be good. Both the Kenai and Kasilof are extremely low and the fishing is slow. Hidden Lake has produced some fish in the shallows, but I always ask to take cool pics and let them go. Limit is one laker per day on the lake.

Memorial Weekend Warriors!

What memories!

I spent 11 of 'em straight on the banks of Ninilchik. Managed to make the opening bell "on time" each season... even when detained by a state trooper on my hasty drive down the KP one year.

Three years in a row (Class of '79, '80 and '81), my brothers and I already had the truck/camper completely packed and ready to go for the weekend BEFORE graduation ceremonies at Chugiak High School on a Friday evening.

As soon as all the post-grad pictures were taken, we stripped those gowns and immediately hit the highway to Ninilchik for the midnight opener.

Back then, the cookie cutter hen was about 24-25 pounds, the cookie cutter buck was 26-28 pounds, and someone in the group would ALWAYS get one in the mid-30's. A member of this board once took a fish in the 50-pound class back in the late 70's. The biggest brightest bank-caught king I've EVER seen! (Montana/Sheep/Willow fire-engines don't count!)

Too bad the native strain of kings has been so altered by hatchery-driven over-exploitation during the 1990's. Now it's just full of dinks!

One of the crown jewels of the KP forever lost.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default KP river conditions....

Agreed, Deep Crk, Anchor R. still high and dirty. Ninilchik is also very dirty yet, although it is always first to clear up. Salt water king fishing just south of Deep Crk 2 mile mark has been quite slow. (Beach camper who has been launching off the beach for kings every day the last 5 days reported he only saw one fish boated). Very unusual this time of yr. Alot of these fish would be headed up local streams. Halibut catches look ok. Rearrangement of Ninilchik R (lower river) has been drastically altered. Very little parking available now. Be aware if u come down the hill with 5th wheel or big RV. Should be interesting.
    Anchor R last wkend was very very slow. In fact, I didnt hear of a fish being hooked.

hmm...wish I had a full weekend, I might go somewhere if I did...

Like the other thread stated, if you do travel somewhere, please drive safe. Good luck to those targeting kings, post some pics if you catch some...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Wink Catch and release

Please drive safe everyone! Dont want as many accidents as last year
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default picture post...

pics more 013.jpg Here's part of last wks catch off the beach. One small king, 3 small butts. (just to give some hope).

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    pics more 013.jpg Here's part of last wks catch off the beach. One small king, 3 small butts. (just to give some hope).

Deep Cr?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Agreed, Deep Crk, Anchor R. still high and dirty. Ninilchik is also very dirty yet, although it is always first to clear up. Salt water king fishing just south of Deep Crk 2 mile mark has been quite slow. (Beach camper who has been launching off the beach for kings every day the last 5 days reported he only saw one fish boated). Very unusual this time of yr. Alot of these fish would be headed up local streams. Halibut catches look ok. Rearrangement of Ninilchik R (lower river) has been drastically altered. Very little parking available now. Be aware if u come down the hill with 5th wheel or big RV. Should be interesting.
    Anchor R last wkend was very very slow. In fact, I didnt hear of a fish being hooked.
    Anchor king run is miserable. Check out the weir count: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/anchor.html. Right now it's about 88% below the average. Might be a great place to fish if you want to avoid any crowds!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Dallman- thanks, I'll see what I can do. I didn't even know they stocked that lake, good to know! Maybe gets some unsuspected dollies on the 4wt then

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Anchor king run is miserable. Check out the weir count: http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Sonar/anchor.html. Right now it's about 88% below the average. Might be a great place to fish if you want to avoid any crowds!
    Same could be said for just about every other king run in Cook Inlet right now.

For sure, this will be one king season that separates the men from the boys, the players from the posers, as every king landed will be HARD-EARNED!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Same could be said for just about every other king run in Cook Inlet right now.

For sure, this will be one king season that separates the men from the boys, the players from the posers, as every king landed will be HARD-EARNED!
    Yeah, couldn't agree more. And I know this is the "freshwater" forum, but the saltwater king action is not stellar either. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little concerned. But, as you say, the ones that do bring in a nice fish will sure be the ones dedicated to finding them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default River conditions...

I looked at Ninilchik R last nite and it has cleared up quite nicely. Deep crk is still high (normal for this time of yr) and very dirty. There is still snow in the hills that feed Dp Crk. Opening day should have typical conditions. Good luck all. A few more Kings are being caught in the salt lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast