Thread: raft repair.... need directions

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default raft repair.... need directions

I have a borrowed Alaska outfitters Zodi that has a pin hole leak and a patch that is lifting off... the owner is aware of it and told me not to worry about it, but i would like to repair it for him... one of the tubes needs to be puffed up about every 8 hours or so to stay firm and takes nearly two days to go flat...

but i have never repaired one... and would like some preperation steps as well required material...

i have a repair kit for my Soar... but reading the tube wear thread... looks like there is some difference in material and such

Is it as simple as a inner tube type repair? rough up the patch and tube... allow glue to nearly set on each and stickem?

should it be done flat or puffed up full? or partially?

what should the surface be cleaned with prior too?

do i lift the old patch all the way off or go over the top of it? or trim off the loose part?

thanks guys

vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It's better if you can get the old patch off, hopefully you can peel it off without incident. You might be able to apply the MEK under the patch to break the glue if the patch just won't peel off, but if it's partially peeled back chances are good that it will peel right off. Then remove the old glue with MEK which you can find at the hardware store. Use the stuff carefully because it will eat through the raft, use the MEK to remove the glue until you're looking at a nice clean surface. Test the MEK in a tiny amount on the fabric, that stuff is very corrosive. I spilled some on a sticker the other day and the whole sticker disintegrated in about 20 seconds.

Then rough up the area to be patched with sandpaper, working slowly and making sure that the whole area is rough. Also rough up the down-side of the patch you are going to use. I don't really know what kind of material that is, but if Stabond is recommended for use on it, I would recommend that adhesive over the others. It is a "hot" adhesive that really gets a good bond and most seem to prefer it over the other stuff out there. Repair should be done with some pressure in the boat, but not fully inflated.

You can use the MEK from your Sotar kit but I would not try and get a Lexatron patch to hold to a different fabric. Lexatron is very slick and hard to get glue to stick to. Make sure you round the corners on your patch so that it doesn't want to peel off.

You probably want to get something ready to use to apply pressure to the patch after you put it on, an old 2X4 or an anchor or something.

Good luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks Benjy for the info and Brian for the PM... headed over to frontier outfitters to get the required supplies today..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

HEY BRIAN R! thanks for taking my call.. got the patch on with out incident last night and looks good this morning...

the old patch did lift off well and i found more of a crack then a pin hole leak.. due to the rib in the zodi tube i had to make more of a pear shape then a circle... but i think it will work fine.. it has not lost any more air and i will Puff it up tonight to get it hard and tested...

thanks for the help guys!!

Vince

meet on face book here