Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: russian protection?

Default russian protection?

Just wondering how many of you carry some sort of protection while fishing the russian? I have a big boy and can't decide to bring it or maybe pick up some spray so that I taste a little better We do plan on taking a hike up to the falls to check them out but not sure when.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering how many of you carry some sort of protection while fishing the russian? I have a big boy and can't decide to bring it or maybe pick up some spray so that I taste a little better We do plan on taking a hike up to the falls to check them out but not sure when.

I always carry a gun fishing any where there's salmon. Rather have it and not need it then the other way around. Don't trust spray when protecting my family.

Whats a "big boy" anyway....?
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I carry both. Bear spray is debatably more effective than a gun. If the spray doesn't stop him, then I got the back up. I'd rather irritate a bear to the point of leaving me alone rather than killing him anyway. Also with spray you have a much better chance of getting it in the bears face (large cloud of pepper spray). With a gun the bear may be so close that you only get 1 or 2 rounds off and in a situation like that, with the adrenaline pumping, you may not concentrate on aiming and not even come close to hitting him and unless you hit him in the grape, he's still coming.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I bring spray and my friend usually brings a gun when headed up to the falls. We usually go up with 1 or 2 other chunky guys hoping the bear finds them more appetizing

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    I bring spray and my friend usually brings a gun when headed up to the falls. We usually go up with 1 or 2 other chunky guys hoping the bear finds them more appetizing
    Not to mention the old "You don't have to be faster than the bear... you just have to be faster than your buddies..." adage...

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    LOL, my chunky ass out ran you for a while today =P

I carry bear spray, I figure I'll spay aldridge88 before I flee, that way he can't see and his pre-seasoned for the bear.

I carry a .22 and walk with a crowd of tourist to the falls. That way Ill just shoot one of them in the knee and I have no worries

Actually I dont carry on the russian at all. When walking to the falls we just walk in a group
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt View Post
    Not to mention the old "You don't have to be faster than the bear... you just have to be faster than your buddies..." adage...
    And you don't need a big gun either.
    You can get by with a 22 if you know where to aim.
    Here's a hint (your buddies knee is the best place, slows them up real good!!)

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I carry a .22 and walk with a crowd of tourist to the falls. That way Ill just shoot one of them in the knee and I have no worries

Actually I dont carry on the russian at all. When walking to the falls we just walk in a group
    You bugger!!!! You beat me to it!!!!!

I remember one of the park rangers at the russian river say; "we have a people problem, not a bear problem."

Carrying a gun or bear spray will give you peace of mind.

I never carry a gun on the Russian; I do carry bear spray. But, I also fish during times when there are a lot of people around; 6am-8pm.

Never had a problem or bad encounter; but bad encounters do happen (rarely); and the odds are low; but you will be on the losing side.

I saw bear spary used once on the Russian; and the bear took off like it was being shot at. The spray did not even come close to the bear; I am pretty sure it was the sound that scared it.

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Rather have it and not need it then the other way around.

I couldn't agree more!

for the number of bears and people on the russian chances of a problem are low, lower than chances of a problem on the highway getting there. That being said those bears scare the crap out of me, being so used to people.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

During the daytime, I will take my chances and go unarmed with my buddies.

Night time rolls around, all bets are off. The 20 gauge Mossberg with slugs is coming out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

hap

I always carry a condom!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    for the number of bears and people on the russian chances of a problem are low.

Yeah, no doubt about it monkey. Only been there one time and had a bear tear into my tent

Seriously, do what makes you happy. I am admittingly on the paranoid side and pack pretty heavy. That applies to driving through NY city and camping in Alaska. I like guns so I carry them. Also, everywhere I go, my wife goes. So that gives me a little extra something to think about. I have a Marlin Guide gun, a S&W 500 with 4" barrel, and recently got a Glock G20 (10mm) with Desantis shoulder holster that carries 45 rounds of whoop ass. What I carry depends on where I am going. Good for crack heads in NC, *******s in NY, and bears in Alaska. Honestly, I am safer on a remote river in Alaska than any of these places, but as I said, I choose to carry a gun.

As for the Big Boy, sweet gun. Just a few months back I got a Big Boy "Deluxe" in .44 mag. Sweet functional wallhanger that holds 10 rounds. Will look nice hanging over the front door at the house. Pretty guns on the wall. That is how we rednecks get down

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Haha nice pice
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I fish at night a lot and generally carry. I also always carry spray with me, and plan on using it first. I fish the russian/confluence about 30 times a year mostly at night. I've had plenty of bear encounters while fishing there. I imagine I'll have more. Nothing super serious, but still if you keep running into bears something could happen. If I'm fishing during the day or say a night opener when there are tons of people I usually just carry the spray. For the OP just do what makes you comfortable. Regardless of whether or not you carry, someone around you will be. Just another reason to be nice to your neighbors!!

Just remembered this pic I took the other week in Ketchikan. Talk about a convincing advertisement stand

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i thought you all were talking about sunglasses, as they are probably the best protection you can bring down to that melee.

Yeah, no kidding man. Not my kind of fishing, but I rode by it about 5 years ago and saw the zoo. I was driving from Seward up to do a float for kings. Man, I ain't never seen so many folks lined up. I think the OP is looking to hike up the Russian to the falls. Might just see a bear or eight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast