Thread: Savage Alaskan Guide Rifle??????????

Default Savage Alaskan Guide Rifle??????????

Anybody here own or ever shoot a Savage Alaskan Guide rifle in 375 H&H. I just found one for $640. The rifle is short and has open sights, but it does not have a drop out floor plate or the accutrigger. I assume this is an older rifle from Savage. I was just curious how the reliablity would be when trying to fire multiple rounds rapidly. With the stainless steel and composite stock it seems like a good beat around rifle for one of those "oh crap" moments.

Any thoughts

Thanks Much

"SCOUTS OUT"

I have one and love it. Shoots awesome groups with the TSX 300gr. Great and accurate gun.

Most all Savage guns shoot good and a solid floor plate will keep it from dropping shells on the ground if you bump something durning recoil

I've heard their accuracy is OUTSTANDING! Exaclty as you say...a workhorse. Nice.

I think im gunna pick one up.

Default 375 Savage

They kick something awful, because they are so light. The stock is the sorriest excuse for a stock I've seen. Basically they are typical Savage - which is cheaply made, and show it. It goes bang, and if price is a factor, and you just must have a 375, get it.

If you shoot it infrequently, and preferably without a scope, using the iron sights, and expect to subject it to some rough conditions, it would probably be ok. I think it would be difficult to find a scope with enough eye relief for that light rifle. IMO, it's the bottom of the barrel in quality.

For the money, I would rather have a shotgun and shoot slugs for a bear emergency. If need be, you could get off a second shot quicker with a slug gun, compared to that ultra light Savage. And you can use the shotgun for duck grouse and ptarmagan hunting, just by changing the barrel. Heck the Brennekee 1 3/8 oz slugs would work fine on a moose too.

KB