Thread: Muktuk

Question Muktuk

I just recieved a couple small chunks of muktuk and I have no clue how to prepare it.
    I have 2 chunks that were boiled and need to be reheated and one frozen piece to be eaten raw???
    Does one normally put any spices or possibly eat it with a piece of cheese on a cracker?
    Thanks for any ideas

I've always eaten it raw, and personally preferring the meat/blubber from the body over that from the fin.

I would keep it frozen in plastic (air-tight) containers in the freezer(s), then cut off a thin piece and chew it. There will be toughness, and what seems like a grissly piece left when you're done. Chew that down as well; it just takes longer.

A high fat food for cold months, with a reputation of requiring an acquired taste for many folks not accustomed to village/Native foods.

I find it to be quite rich.

Years ago an old Inupiaq fellow used to bring some by for another family member, and I'd eat away. He was laughing at me one day, and I asked why. He stated he'd never seen a white man eat so much muktuk and not puke. ;^>)

Good stuff!!

By the way, I'm assuming what you have is from a bowhead. My preference is for beluga, finding it to be more rich in flavor.

Walrus can be eaten the same way, raw, and sliced thin, though typically much more red in color than the whale.

My first experience with seal oil involved some in which the rendering resulted in the oil turning rancid, and I'm afraid it colored my attitude toward seal oil from then on.

I have no clue what type it is but you are probably right. It came from Barrow I believe. So do you eat the black part and the white/fleshy looking part?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i dont know how to prepair it... but it is like bubbalicious bubble gum... the more you chew it the bigger it gets... and the last time i ate it....

it was like chewing on a spare tire that had been set afire and doused in the out house
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Muktuk man oh man.. My nuna has some weird way to eat it raw with some other like veggies ill try to get the recipe for you
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Talking

mjm316...your frozen stuff, let it thaw for a bit, & then slice them in thin slices...if it's cubed, it'll be too tough to chew, you can pour a lil' bit of salt in a saucer & pat the slice in the salt & pop it in yer mouth & eat it that way, savor the flavor by allowin' the salt to mix with the fat & skin (black stringy part is skin, white is teh actual blubber)& really relish the texture as well...chase it with onion, cracker, rice or something else if you find the flavor a bit too much...it is an aquired taste, & once you get to likin' it, don't eat too much,as you'll get sick to your stomach...

The cooked stuff you can eat fully cubed, & I find it richer in oilyness, as it's "bleed" out, & really "melts in your mouth"...salt it up as well, & you can't got wrong...again, don't eat too much...have some tea as well, as crackers or something else to wash it down, to cleanse the palate...

Now I'm hungry! ****IT!

Yes, like gogoalie and others have stated, the black part is the outer layer or skin, and is edible as well. You'll notice when you slice it that the black part is more resistant to the blade's travel.

I know that some folks cook it/boil it, but I've always eaten it raw. Folks I've known have been more prone to cooking the fin 'meat'.

The fin meat is more fibrous, and lacks some of the melt-in-your-mouth richness that the less fibrous fat from the body pieces have.

I've been priviledged to eat Buluga once and Bowhead about 8-10 times. I much prefer the Buluga. The Bowhead, I like to dip it in Green Tabasco. Always had it raw. It is chewey

OH boy oh boy I can hardly wait until my friend from the lesser 48 gets up here to try it out with me...

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I just recieved a couple small chunks of muktuk and I have no clue how to prepare it.
    I have 2 chunks that were boiled and need to be reheated and one frozen piece to be eaten raw???
    Does one normally put any spices or possibly eat it with a piece of cheese on a cracker?
    Thanks for any ideas
    That stuff is inedible. I suggest you give it to me. haha. Okay, we like ours sliced like matchsticks dipped in salt or soy sauce. Keep chewing.

Save the crackers for a dessert - eat a pilot bread plain with tea to settle the greasiness in your stomach. Very good.

I would like to buy some muktuk if anyone is selling some. I live out in wasilla. heres my number 907-310-7176

Quote Originally Posted by minken24 View Post
    I would like to buy some muktuk if anyone is selling some. I live out in wasilla. heres my number 907-310-7176
    I don't know if you're native, but definitely be careful about buying marine mammal parts. From the NOAA site:

"I am not an Alaska Native; can I buy some muktuk to eat?
    Maybe. It is unlawful to sell or purchase edible portions of Cook Inlet beluga whales, and it is unlawful to sell meat and edible products of bowhead whales taken in an aboriginal subsistence hunt. Otherwise, edible portions of threatened or endangered species may only be sold by Alaska Natives in Native towns or villages for Native consumption. Additionally, edible portions of marine mammals (other than Cook Inlet beluga whales, bowhead whales, and other threatened and endangered species) may be sold either A) for Native consumption or B) to non Natives if sold in Native towns and villages in Alaska (Native villages include Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau). Once purchased, these products do not have to be consumed in the Native village or town."
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I had some for the first time a few months ago, no sauce or salt. It was a cube the size of a dice. It was chewey for 3-4 chews and then melted in my mouth. I liked it and think it tastes a little like oysters. Also had the fat ice cream with blueberries, that didn't taste as good to me.

Muktuk is good stuff!..we like to slice it thin and boil in salt water and eat with crackers,and agootuk for desert..MMm ...MMmm
    Beluga is more tender and here it is eaten boiled mostly. I have pickled it with good results as well.

I love muktuk, really good stuff, going to have to see if my grandma got any yet from our up north relatives. I prefer it uncooked with a little bit of salt. Eskimo bubblegum is what we always called it growing up.