Thread: where is your keeper line?

Default where is your keeper line?

Thought that it might be interesting to see where everyone has their line drawn in the water. There have been a couple of different threads talking about trading up, going home empty handed and what not. So, do you have a keeper weight set for your first halibut and then something different for your second? Where do you draw the line? Has your requirments sent you home empty handed? Have you adjusted your goals to bring home the bacon or butt in this case?

first two I catch
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

anything between #6 and #25. we only like halibut fresh and rarely put any in the freezer. enough for us and a couple friends is plenty, generally if i decide to target halibut while i am trolling one for dinner is all i am after.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Me personally, I like the ping pong paddles, chickens, fly-swatters, whatever you want to call them as long as there not over 30-35 pounds.

I guess it kind of depends on what your goal is. If I'm going after halibut I'm not interested in retaining anything over 40 or 50 lbs. at the most. It's not horribly difficult to find as many 5 to 15 pounders as you could ever want and I'm pretty happy with something around 20 or so. So I guess my "line" is about 20 lbs. and if I don't want to go home empty handed I'll just keep two smaller ones.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If its legal I eat it

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    anything between #6 and #25. we only like halibut fresh and rarely put any in the freezer.
    Spoiled! I do the same thing. I get enough for a few meals and don't sweat it, as I'll be fishing all summer. I've given away an insane amount of king this year already, because I refuse to freeze kings in May! I'll keep a few in Aug and have them professionally vacuum packed. But that's it.

I didn't think I had a low end limit. But, I did throw this one back.Figured if I can't even make a decent sandwich out of it, it's not worth keeping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Hey Rod!
    Great picture! I'm still laughing. Make a great photo for Alaska Tourism

15 pounds normally, but it depends on the weather and bite.

I usually let the first one go if it`s under 20#...karma thing. Works great...last two times I did this we picked up a 127 and a 170 immediately after the releases. I could be on the crack but it seems to be working. My high side limit is about 100#s. I will keep one larger if it is my personal best.

Default Me too

I vote for for Homer Dave's answer.