Thread: Montegue Transportation

Default Montegue Transportation

Ok, I'm probly missing a past thread, but if a guy wanted to hunt deer on Montegue Island, would any of you have suggestions on getting to/from the island and the needs and/or concerns to address while on the island? I have never had deer before, and I've been told numerous times by friends I owe it to myself to taste it. So..........any info will be appreciated.
    If there is a problem with promoting a specific business etc., please PM me.

went out there season before last. Went with a group of guys to the forest service cabin at Port Chalmers. You can rent the cabin something like 6 months in advance if I remember right. Pretty cheap, 20 or 25 bucks per night. There is a wood stove and oil (diesel) stove in there. It says it sleeps 6, but that is cozy unless there are two couples along (which might be awkward...). 4 people would be pretty comfy.

We got a boat, can't remember the name right now, but I found them on Google pretty easy. Out of Whittier. Cost was about 400 bucks per person and there was basically no limit on weight. There actually was a limit, but I don't see how you could get over that limit.

We went in mid-October, which seemed like just the wrong time to go. Earlier the weather is a probably a bit better and maybe the pressure is a bit lower. There was a lot of evidence of hunting success near the cabin (like carcasses laying on the beach...not cool). I think later in the season if you can deal with the weather, the deer might be lower and thus a bit easier to hunt. I talked to one guy who went about 5 weeks after we did and 6 guys just about limited on deer in a few days...all on the beach.

If you fly and are willing to stay in a tent (probably not a great idea if it is later in the season), I understand there are some air charters that can put you in a few more places. The boat was nice in that we could bring just about anything we wanted, but I think the area around the cabin is hit pretty good. The deer that we got and saw were mostly pretty far from the cabin although I did get a small buck in a clearing just behind the cabin on the last night there.

if you go in October and the ground isnt frozen yet, Montague is a very very very marshy wet island down low. Bring extra boots and socks. A nice pair or Muck boots or Lacross Alpha Burlys are probably the way to go. I have never stayed at one of the cabins so i cant say how nice they are, but if you tent it bring a decent synthetic sleeping bag. My partner and i set up camp on what we thought was solid ground, had a pretty rude awakining at 4 am.

I think Captin Jack from Knot Roughing it charters makes Montague transports. He is based out of whittier, I am not sure of what his rates are.

Default Lazy Otter Charters

Try Lazy Otter Charters out of Whittier. Mike Bender is a top notch guy.

www.lazyotter.com

Default plug for natron

hard ass wet hunt. be prepared to be miserable. Tim with Natron Air is literally a bad ass pilot. Not very personable, but dude can fly a plane.

The guy we used was Alaska Goodtime Charthers. No complaints on the boat or captain.