Thread: Need some advice..

Default Need some advice..

I have never owned a boat,, and don't know the first thing about them..
    I am going to go look at this boat in a couple of days,, http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1746181084.html
    Is this boat a good river boat?? I will be running it in the Snake river and its a pretty big and powerful river similar to the Kenai, but a little bigger than the Kenai..
    Does it look like a good deal,providing everything is in good shape and working order?
    What does the 60/40 mean?? 60/40 Mercury 2-stroke jet motor.. Im guessing 60 horse with prop and 40 horse with jet..
    Would you worry at all running it on the Kenai or Big Su?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6pmyStx_fM I don,t know what the rest of the snake looks like, but whats here in this You tubes. Would not go near that stuff in that type of boat! Yes 60/40 is what puts out because of the jet, And yes it would be fine for the Big Sue and Yentna river. up here.

Default Checkout Weldcraft

Slimm,

Checkout the Weldcraft Rebel, Renegade or Saber...built in Idaho, welded aluminum white water boats. Inboard or outboard jet options...I'm not a jet guy so not much help there.

I've got the 18 foot Rebel with a 115 Yamaha. I bought mine in 08 when I lived in Montana for fishing the Clark Fork and Kootenai Rivers and Flathead Lake. If you look in my profile I have a few pics.

What's your budget? Let me know if you have any questions and I'll share what little bit of experience I have...I'm pretty new to boating as well.

HA!! Ain't no way i would take a boat up Hells canyon... That looked pretty crazy the way the front of that boat went under water.. I have been way up and down that canyon a few times with other folks though its a pretty wild ride..
    Unfortunatly you can't go very far on the snake with out hittin some sort of rough water like that.. That was a cool video though..
    This is a spot that i would have to go through to get where i want to hunt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q314...eature=related
    It's a spot that used to be deep and smooth but the whole mountain slid down into the river and created the rapids.. I have looked at that rapid many times and think i could run down one side or the other without to much trouble..

outaMT.. Those boats are a little out my price range for now,, maybe in a couple of years ,, they are dang nice boats though,, i see em all over and can only wish..
    Thanks for the reply and as i am going to buy a boat this year im sure i will be full of more questions..
    Thanks for the help guys.......

Default Long before you buy a boat

spend a lot of time with those that have and use their boats , not only as a rider but participate in the care maintainance and expences. Get to know some one well enough that they will let you learn how to handle their boat . A boat is nothing like a car, it is more like a plane.
    Fuel is not the only considderation, and the type of work in general you expect to put it though and you capability to care for it a few hundrred miles from civilization can also be an important factor.
    I spent 18 years working on boats on a lake, which is pretty mild use compared to those rivers up there. Freezing weather is another important factor, lowest I dealt with was -20. and lake ice is nothing like river ice trying to manuver around it .
    From the two marinas I worked each one had an average of 500 to 700 customer owned boats in slips and moorings. 10% were used regularly,15% used monthly, 70 % used on a special event (usually fourth of july fire works on the lake) the rest never got used at all. but pople were paying for the prestigue of having a boat on the lake . some people didn't even know they had a boat till we sent them a bill for slip or mooring, or winterization , the cabin they just bought came with a boat.
    Learn your ropes and knots, and the rules of boating, learnto be thinking about what you would be doing for different situations and why, so that you can avoid problems and be prepared for them .
    If i am scaring you , good , real boating is something you get into with both feet, including your wife and your wallet. If you can, invite your wife to be a part of it as well , but that's just my opinion.
    So far as the different drives you listed
    2 strokes are gutsier and lighter than 4 strokes, but you must mix the fuel and you can't forget, and people do, and i would reaap the benifits.(being a mechanic)
    In boards are easier to work on more powerful and similiar to automotive engines with a few serious alterations that cannot be compromised. Out board motors are a word of their own, compact into a package that hangs out side the sphire of the vessel. wrenches don't float.
    props are prone to be damaged by every thing in the water, but they are easily changed. In board Jets are some what protected, but they suck up rocks and debris as well.
    stern drives I/O, and out boards manouver best, but jet pumps are not so forgiving. we dealt with lake weeds and trash on the lake stopping cooling ports and burning up engines, rivers are not likely to have that problem.
    Winterization on the outboard is simple , all the water drains from the engine every time it is shut down. In boards have to be drained at the block from about 10 different places adding anti freeze.
    Like I said , spend some time with a friend and their boat and know what it is your getting into.
    food for thought

Here's a better one for you.
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/1728493244.html

It's mine, and it's been on the snake.

Shameless plug.

If your going to be on the snake most of the time (from Beamers upstream), a bigger boat would be best. That's big water.
    My boat, or one like it, will beat you to death on the snake. A little more deadrise and more power would be ideal.
    Doug
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Arliegh gave some great information and advice, I'd like to add on to that; for your very first boat I'd recommend getting a relatively inexpensive "starter boat" and use that in lakes and fairly calm spots on rivers.

No matter how much time you spend on somebody else's boat when you buy your own boat your learning curve will go almost straight up for about 6 months of regular use.

You'll learn what you want and dont want in a boat, boat handling, and boating in general. Take a boating safety class - you'll learn a lot and it'll help you out on your insurance.

With a starter boat you won't have a lot of money invested in a boat you'll probably sell in a year or two anyway.

I'd been in/around boats for most of my growing up years and I still spent WAY too much money and bought a piece of cr@p for my first boat because I didnt know any better.
    I ended up really taking it in the shorts when I finally sold it. I hated that boat within the first month of owning it.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Arleigh,, Great post thanks for taking the time,, i will read it many times..
    I have a buddy that has a prop and he lets me drive it quite a bit on lakes, but we have never had in a river..

Nice boat travelers,, but a little out of my league,i can only wish for now..
    Ive been thinking along the lines of what maast posted, im seeing some pretty decent looking boats in the 5 to 10 thousand range, i just gotta figure out what the safest boat that will suit my needs in my price range is..
    I have left messages with this guy but he hasnt gotten back to me, probably just as well though,, from the looks of the boat i doubt it has had much TLC and it might just turn into a nitemare,, but i would still like to check it out.. Any opinions on this boat?
    http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/boa/1755345694.html

I think you'll be thinking about your other tread on what if my motor dies with that boat. I think if your looking for boat around 8 to 10. Then stick with your smiple Jon boat with an outboard. there not the fastest thing in the water but your fishing and burning less fuel. The woolridge the guy has for sale them are great little boats. If I was u that's the one I would look at. P.S If you do buy a used boat. Take it to the river and go for a ride not a lake. Run it up river for a bit see how it works. NEVER buy a used boat you have see run up river. If a guy wants too sell his boat he have no problem taken it out for a run.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Arleigh,, Great post thanks for taking the time,, i will read it many times..
    I have a buddy that has a prop and he lets me drive it quite a bit on lakes, but we have never had in a river..

Nice boat travelers,, but a little out of my league,i can only wish for now..
    Ive been thinking along the lines of what maast posted, im seeing some pretty decent looking boats in the 5 to 10 thousand range, i just gotta figure out what the safest boat that will suit my needs in my price range is..
    I have left messages with this guy but he hasnt gotten back to me, probably just as well though,, from the looks of the boat i doubt it has had much TLC and it might just turn into a nitemare,, but i would still like to check it out.. Any opinions on this boat?
    http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/boa/1755345694.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1761651334.html

This looks like a pretty nice boat, would it make a good river boat if i put a jet on it?
    Could i just swap out the lower end from prop to jet??

First of all the Snake is WAY bigger than the Kenai. The Snake often flows around 10,000 to 20,000 CFS and the Kenai is lucky to get to 4,000 to 6,000 in June when things are melting. The Snake can flow 50-70 thousand CFS quite easily during spring runoff. They are very different rivers. I have been on both multiple times, floated in my own 14' raft right through Hell's Canyon. There are huge holes, powerful eddy lines, steep reversals, nice big haystacks, and some very nice washing machine action here and there......Fortunately, one can miss all of it if you are careful and scout it out well. It was a great Class IV or V float but one has to be careful. Some of the footage posted does not look like the Snake at all; it looks like the lower Salmon to me. But whatever....

As far as the boat you have in mind with the 60/40 jet, it is simply not powerful enough or big enough to play in big water. Will it work in the Snake? Sure it will, just not in the big water. And as you probably already know, a lot of the year the Snake is not big water. It has a much more relaxed nature to it with a smaller flow, and is sometimes just a flat out bolder garden that one has to pick their way through. I still not certain I would be comfortable in that boat though.

Is it a good Kenai and Susitna boat? Sure, if it were only 50 hp, as that is all they allow on the Kenai. And it is more than enough for the Susitna (other than Devil's Canyon). There is nothing more than Class II water on either river in most spots with the vast majority of it being Class I. The boat you have in mind would be a fine boat on both rivers other than having too much much power to be legal on the Kenai.

Now as far as swapping out props to jets you can do it, but it is expensive. A jet unit costs around 2500 bucks new. I'd get the boat with the jet already on it as it will be far cheaper.

While I could be wrong, I suspect that you want the big powerful river boat that you can run big rapids with. I think we all do to be honest. But do remember, if you are having a hard time writing the check to buy it, just think how hard of a time you will have paying for the gas that big jet boat is going to drink. The smaller boat will often do the job. No it won't be perfect, no it won't be a 500 hp Thunderjet, and no it will not run the huge whitewater the snake has, but it also won't break the bank either. And it will get you on the water a lot of the time for pretty cheap. In my financial situation I know which one I would be getting.

Good luck in your search And have a good one!

Thanks T.R. for the info..

To tell you the truth the Snake river scares the heck out'a, me and there ain't no way i want anything to do with whitewater.
    All i want to do is run up and down it to get to some good upland bird hunting, the problem is most of the places i want to get to have a rapid or two on the way, the utube link i posted above titled King hill is probably the worst one i would encounter.
    I have studied out a couple and think i could pick my way through one side or the other,just not sure though..
    No doubt about me wanting a big powerful river boat, But i know its just not time for one YET!!!!!!
    Im just trying to find a good clean safe boat in my price range of ten grand tops.
    Heres a great video of some of the water TR described above.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd-Bgoaw08
    Thanks everybody for your time and info..

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Thanks T.R. for the info..

To tell you the truth the Snake river scares the heck out'a, me and there ain't no way i want anything to do with whitewater.
    All i want to do is run up and down it to get to some good upland bird hunting, the problem is most of the places i want to get to have a rapid or two on the way, the utube link i posted above titled King hill is probably the worst one i would encounter.
    I have studied out a couple and think i could pick my way through one side or the other,just not sure though..
    No doubt about me wanting a big powerful river boat, But i know its just not time for one YET!!!!!!
    Im just trying to find a good clean safe boat in my price range of ten grand tops.
    Heres a great video of some of the water TR described above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQd-Bgoaw08
    Thanks everybody for your time and info..

Thanks for posting the link. I have fond memories of floating the Snake, Salmon, Selway, and Lochsa. That area in Idaho is as great as it gets in my opinion. Good luck on your search of the boat. And by the way, the old boat with the 454 that you were looking at would probably do the trick, yet we both know it wouldn't win any beauty contests...LOL

Well it's a toss up between these two boats,, im kinda leaning toward the jet, but the tracker with the prop is a much nicer boat.. I will go look at both tomorrow..
    http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1768525995.html
    http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1750042877.html