View Poll Results: the correct way to say how big my bear is.......

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • square the bear is the correct size a+b/2

46 92.00%
  • take the short cut and length only....

4 8.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you measure YOUR bear

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default how do you measure YOUR bear

Daniel and i have a discussion going about bear sizes.... I square mine...

nose to tail measurement PLUS width of front legs divided by TWO

a+b/2

Dan measures his nose to tail... and thats how big it is.... says the majority of folks do it that way...

so lets see...( be honest now how you do it)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i might be crazy for this, but i don't like to measure my animals, i feel like if i had a great hunt and had a great time then taking an animal is a great bonus, and i don't want to take away from that by having an animal not tape out to what i think it might. just the way i do it

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Daniel and i have a discussion going about bear sizes.... I square mine...

nose to tail measurement PLUS width of front legs divided by TWO

a+b/2

Dan measures his nose to tail... and thats how big it is.... says the majority of folks do it that way...

so lets see...( be honest now how you do it)
    Bingo!...Daniel's cheatin! lol....

Talking Very easy

The same way you measure a fish, you eyeball it, add 22% and then exagerate the number you came up with, by the time you've told enough people you will have forgotten the actual size so your no longer lying. Now this does not apply to those of you who actually catch big fish or harvest big bears since that would just be unbelievable
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Bingo!...Daniel's cheatin! lol....
    Not really , almost every bear I have ever measured was longer claw to claw than nose to tail. My son shot a really big cinnamon a few years back, that bear was 6'9" nose to tail, 6' 11" claw to claw, and this measurement was taken after tanning. How one guy does it compared to the standard really makes no difference, I'll take a 6' bear with a 20" head over a 6'10" bear with a 17 1/2" head personally. Now a 6' 10" bear with a 20" head (which is roughly what my sons bear was, head was like 19 15/16 or something real close) is a danady bear!

Talking

I myself do the nose to tail measurement, but I also stand 3-5 feet behind the bear in all photos. I figure years from now when I'm telling the story if the bear was still alive he surely would have gotten that big (or bigger), so its ok.

But I also fish so I'm a habitual liar!

All kidding aside, I haven't measured a bear since 1992. Now days I go off of how many pounds of meat I put into the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Not really , almost every bear I have ever measured was longer claw to claw than nose to tail. My son shot a really big cinnamon a few years back, that bear was 6'9" nose to tail, 6' 11" claw to claw, and this measurement was taken after tanning. How one guy does it compared to the standard really makes no difference, I'll take a 6' bear with a 20" head over a 6'10" bear with a 17 1/2" head personally. Now a 6' 10" bear with a 20" head (which is roughly what my sons bear was, head was like 19 15/16 or something real close) is a danady bear!
    Geeesh...I was just flippin my bud some crap...

Not really , almost every bear I have ever measured was longer claw to claw than nose to tail.
    Yup, mine was a clean FOOT longer claw to claw than nose to tail.

Vince, your right...you can celebrate now...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yup, mine was a clean FOOT longer claw to claw than nose to tail.

Vince, your right...you can celebrate now...
    NAaaaa kyle... i am much to modest to celibrate
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking

Not really , almost every bear I have ever measured was longer claw to claw than nose to tail.
    Ha! so there you go. Ive measured alot of bears at kevins and I say 99% are longer claw to claw. Which brings to mind of two guys I know on this forum that srictly use the claw to claw as I use the nose to tail and say thats how big their bear is.

Now Vince like I said nose to tail is just a guesstimate which is usually pretty dang close to actual measurements. So with that said my bear is now a 7 footer............

If you want to find out how big your bear really is, you measure nose to tail. If you want an inflated number you square the bear.

Squaring a bear in most cases produces a better score than nose to tail. So in Daniel's case, if the bear measured 5'10" nose to tail, it would probably square over 6'.

So IMO if you get a bear that measures well nose to tail it's a big bear, and if you absolutely need to feel better about how your bear scores, get the squared measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    So IMO if you get a bear that measures well nose to tail it's a big bear, and if you want to get the real measurement that everyone else in the real world uses, get the squared measurement.
    Fixed it for ya....

The only measurement that interests me is the F&G green skull score, or an officially measured B&C skull. I've seen too many "squared" 7' bears that were really 6'ish bears for me to really pay attention to what peoples hide measurements are.

FWIW, most of my Paw to Paw/Nose to Tail measurements are within a few inches of each other. Must be the genetics in the areas I hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    The only measurement that interests me is the F&G green skull score, or an officially measured B&C skull.
    That works if you take it to the F&G to get it sealed ... but if you take it to an appointed sealer that measurement could be wrong in either direction. I have sealed many bear by many appointed sealers and by several F&G sealers and the Biologist's take more time and are more accurate.

It has been my experience that the paw to paw spread (even on POW) is greater than the nose to tail spread. Similar to that in all beardom. Sometimes as much as 12" or even more.

The Misty Brown Bear we just took had a greater paw to paw by more than a foot, which is normal IMHO, for those Brown Bear over there.

An exception was the big sow I shot. She was 7' nose to tail, but 6'8ish claw to claw. I thought sure I was going to hit the 7' mark when I took the nose to tail measure, but it wasn't to be. And Bird Brain, she weighed #320lbs; we rendered a 40qt cooler of lard from her .

Default Guide system

I use the guide system of measurement.

Measure from the tip of the right front paw stretched out to the rear of the left foot stretched back.

Measure the left paw to the rear of the right foot stretched back.

Divide by two. Say Whow!!! Big one.

Expect big tip from client.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I use the guide system of measurement.

Measure from the tip of the right front paw stretched out to the rear of the left foot stretched back.

Measure the left paw to the rear of the right foot stretched back.

Divide by two. Say Whow!!! Big one.

Expect big tip from client.

That is how they consistently get 11' bears in Russia!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Fixed it for ya....
    LOL! Say what you will, but when I shoot a 7 foot bear, it is really a 7 footer, not some drummed up squared measurement that people use to inflate the size of their ego, uh... I mean bear.

Touche....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast