Thread: birdshot in a rifled 12ga

Default birdshot in a rifled 12ga

stupid question i know,
    but, would shooting bird shot out of a rifled barrel cause bad patterns?
    Say one was not even remotely worried about burning out the rifling.

ive never done it, i know its not "good" for the barrel but im just wondering, i had always taken out shot shells deer hunting when i was younger even with my rifled single shot 12ga just in case i wanted to shoot something else... the desire never came up. I have shot bird shot through a rifled choke just to see what kind of damage it does to the rifling but i couldnt see any.

has anyone done it a lot?
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I've never done it alot, but I do know that I ended up with a pattern like a donut-with a big hole in the middle.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Default Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I've never done it alot, but I do know that I ended up with a pattern like a donut-with a big hole in the middle.

I never hit where I'm aiming anyway ....and certainly not dead in the middle.

Lead shot down a rifled barrel does not damage the barrel at all. When shooting bird shot with the standard plastic shot cups, generally the pattern is wide with holes in it. If you can find the old type with wads, it will pattern pretty close to what a cylinder choke gun will pattern. A rifled shotgun barrel is generally un-choked, cylinder bore, and will pattern accordingly.

Depending on the brand of gun, you could likely get a smooth, choked shotgun barrel fairly inexpensively and make a quick change.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

well i want a TC 12ga barrel, but i really dont like the 400+ price tag on the barrel... its a shotgun barrel, not exactly difficult to make. i dont get why they cost more than a rifle barrel... heck my last custom TC barrel didnt cost much more than that.
    I have a chance to get a riffled barrel for 150 and the idea poped into my head...
    Josh

Default rifled shotgun

I packed an 870 around Alaska for quite a while loaded with the Federal copper sabots. Figured that would be one of the better general purpose defense weapons 'cause you could always run some #4 for birds in a pinch.
    I could get minute of bear with the 350-425g slugs at a hundred yards as well. Shooting prone with those sabots will wake you though.

Lots of holes in your pattern if you can call it that. You can do some good useing the paper loads with out the plastic wad but not great. I would use 7 1/2's or 8's and keep it under twenty yards

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    well i want a TC 12ga barrel, but i really dont like the 400+ price tag on the barrel... its a shotgun barrel, not exactly difficult to make. i dont get why they cost more than a rifle barrel... heck my last custom TC barrel didnt cost much more than that.
    I have a chance to get a riffled barrel for 150 and the idea poped into my head...
    If it comes with tubes you could probably get a shot tube which stopes the spinning of the wad and will give a better chance of good hits on target

stupid question i know,
    but, would shooting bird shot out of a rifled barrel cause bad patterns?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

thanks for the help folks, i think i will just suck it up and spend the 400+ on a turkey barrel for it.
    Josh

why would you spend that much on just hte barrel when you can get a brand new 500 or 870 with like a 26 or 28 inch barrel with chokes for cheaper? you can have a whole extra gun for cheaper than just the barrel.

thanks for the help folks, i think i will just suck it up and spend the 400+ on a turkey barrel for it.
    I spent about $400 on a custom barrel, 36" long, thick walled, with a one-off super-double-extra-full steel choke that is incredible. Money well spent. You should see the groups at 50 yard. Yup, I said that correctly...50 yards.

Go here: http://www.turkeyshoot.net/GBG.htm

You won't be able to buy commercially what this man can do for you. I switch mine out on a Mossberg 590A1.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    why would you spend that much on just hte barrel when you can get a brand new 500 or 870 with like a 26 or 28 inch barrel with chokes for cheaper? you can have a whole extra gun for cheaper than just the barrel.

Ive got plenty of guns, heck ive got 4 12ga pumps and 1 20ga auto.
    almost 15 years ago now i bought a 12ga NEF rifled slug gun and fell in love with single shots, it just makes the hunt all that more fun and exciting. i now have 4 single shots and several barrels. im building up my TC barrel collection. the others are NEF 12ga, NEF 223 heavy barrel and a H&R 25-06. The 25-06 is the only rifle that i consider selling... i really have no use for it.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I spent about $400 on a custom barrel, 36" long, thick walled, with a one-off super-double-extra-full steel choke that is incredible. Money well spent. You should see the groups at 50 yard. Yup, I said that correctly...50 yards.

Go here: http://www.turkeyshoot.net/GBG.htm

You won't be able to buy commercially what this man can do for you. I switch mine out on a Mossberg 590A1.
    Thanks i dont think i would have found him with out your help, ive got an email out to him right now. The pics on his site are just amazing for birdshot groupings.
    Josh

Rifling for shot has a vary broad history. the single rifling to slow a wad has been around for longer than most of us has been alive. A lot of trial and error from the southern part of the U.S. has been around for a lot of years because of turkey shoots. You folks have really hit on a old subject. Being a rifle smith and lover, I can tell you it seems more art than science.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson