Thread: Antifouling paint on an aluminum bottom

Default Antifouling paint on an aluminum bottom

Any of you folks out there having trouble with your epoxy barrier coat coming off your aluminum hull? Every 9 months or so I pull my boat out of the water and every time I find more patches of bottom paint (and epoxy barrier coat) have come off. The company that originally applied the epoxy claimed to know how to work on aluminum boats and had been in business for a long time. The first time this happened they repaired it under warranty, but they're out of business now. I can fix the problem again, but I'm wondering if I would be better off having a complete strip job and repaint. I suspect the bottom was not properly prepped for the epoxy coat and I'll be faced with constantly - and I don't want my aluminum hull in direct contact with seawater for any amount of time....

Default Aluminum

My hull has never been paint coated going on 8 years. With proper zinc coverage you should be fine. I power-wash 2-3 times a year and in the spring apply a coat of Mop and Glow. Goes on with a 6" painters pad, does not have to be buffed out and works fine. Fastest way that I know to keep the green off.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default do you moor or trailer?

Dave, do you keep your boat on a trailer or in the water? I doubt I'd get much green but I would at least get a bunch of barnacles. You don't get any of this, even in the summer?

Default Water

It is in the water from the beginning of April until October at the harbor. No barnacles at all, slime yes, that is why I powerwash 2-3 time a year. Boats is in 6-7 months.

Mop and Glow??!! How'd you figure that one out?
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Mop and Glow??!! How'd you figure that one out?
    I like that idea, sounds like the poor mans Shark Hide. I think I'll give this a try.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default Got tired

In the spring when it is 35-40 degrees out, regular wax does not apply well. So I got to thinking..... liquid wax. No buffing, easy to apply, see through and I can use a 6" painters pad and a handle extension. It does fairly well.

Default Bottom Paint

Sounds like a common problem. The good quality bottom coatings are not available anymore due to enviro regulations. The great qualities that made them toxic to hull dwellers also make them toxic to everything else. As far as sticking to aluminium, I have not had much luck with epoxy coatings. Zinc chromate works the best but alas, that product is very difficult to get and hardly anyone wants to mess with it due to the enviro regs.

Default Here's a system that works

the navy uses zink annodes every where. It keeps the corrosion down to a minimum. A good electrical bond to the hull in the water and any where metal on and around the boat. there are some usually on the motor, but get forgotten . Electrolosis is an electrical function of dissimilliar metals in water .
    Fee electrons move off the softer metal.
    Zink also is an anti bacterial so it's presents diminishes bacterial growth.
    Sunlight is the chief facilitator of bacterial growth, no sunlight no growth.
    If you leave your boat in the water, I suggest that you find a material that you can make a skirt that fits your boat hull all the way around and under water by about the depth of your draft. thus keeping sunlight off the hull.
    I personally use shrink wrap material , dark colors are best.
    How do i know this works ? As a mechanic I've Done a lot of diving in and around dock systems and my own boats.
    I am a functional kind of person I don't particularly care about looks, my stuff last longer than most, and i have less maintainance issues.
    I had cleats all around my boat so it was easy to tie & loupe every where.
    food for thought