Thread: 1st time in a stand and 1st bear

Thumbs up 1st time in a stand and 1st bear

My good friend BlackBear finally convinced me to come out and sit in his stand Sunday night and what a great night it turned out to be. He first baited last weekend and freshened it up on Saturday it was nice to see how the Bait Em 907 scents and balls really got the bears coming to the bait, we even ran a chainsaw to clear out some dead timber for a better view when we first got there and the bears still came in.
    We saw 4 different bears before I took this one, we saw one bear running away after I shot and we saw one more bear wanting to get to the bait as we were packing this one out and we still had plenty of daylight.
    I was only going to have one night this year that I could sit in a stand with him and to have this kind of a night is almost unbelievable, I know a lot of guys put in a lot of work to see that many bears and I'm very thankful for getting this opportunity I was satisfied after just seeing the first little guy coming in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Congratulations on a rewarding hunt. What rifle and ammo did you use?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

dude thats awesome. congrats on your first bear.

Default Over kill

I used a 375H&H with 270 gr. I know it's overkill but after blackbear showed me the trail cam pic of about an 8 ft grizzly on his bait I felt more comfortable on the trail coming out with meat strapped to my back, when things go sideways on you it's no longer called overkill, suprisingly it only left about 1 1/2 inch exit wound on a clean heart lung shot, the bear sprinted about 20 yards and rolled 5 more.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    I used a 375H&H with 270 gr. I know it's overkill but after blackbear showed me the trail cam pic of about an 8 ft grizzly on his bait I felt more comfortable on the trail coming out with meat strapped to my back, when things go sideways on you it's no longer called overkill, suprisingly it only left about 1 1/2 inch exit wound on a clean heart lung shot, the bear sprinted about 20 yards and rolled 5 more.
    SWEET! I heard stories about rolling bears, but thats for another thread. Again congrats dude on a fine looking bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    It's not overkill if it works well. It is an excellent combination for any type of bear hunting especially if you need a good hard hitting combo at longer ranges.

Default Nice Bear!

Sounds like you really enjoyed the experience, hope that young one will be tasty!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

congrats to you !!!!! and to member BLACKBEAR for having you on his stand... way to go both of you!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Darn beginners' luck!

Congrat's to you and tell BLACKBEAR I hate him for being so good at this! (kidding, of course)

Taylor

Default Congratulations!

What a great experience. Glad you were able to have such a wonderful evening in the stand and end the evening with an awesome bear. Be careful though, bear baiting gets into your blood and there's no cure for it as of yet.

Wonderful story and congratulations on your first bear! Hopefully it's not your last.

Shannon

Jim,
    Congrats on your bear! You couldn't ask for a better hunting partner
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Smile Thanks all

Thanks for all the kind words, and yes BLACKBEAR does know a few things about baiting, his biggest problem is too many bears that all need feeding and with his love of bears I wouldn't put it past him to put his kids on diets so he can afford to feed his bears. The taxidermist measured the bear at 5'2" and it has a prime coat, the size didn't matter to me I was just happy to get such a great opportunity and I realize how fortunate I am for not having to put in all the effort and expense that it takes to be a succesfull baiter
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

WOW What a great idea if the kids eat less the bears can eat more but I am a little concerned about how much more we have used up 12 30 gal barrels already. Its a loooong way to Jun 30th.

Rumor has it a big one started hitting my site so next week I will start up the super secret bait formula Jess and Steve gave me today.(hopefully available next year to ya'll)

I love being able to test new products before others. When it works like I think it will I will finally keep a hide instead of giving them away every year.

Actually I have in my mind the 3/4 wall mount by Bears Dens Taxidermy I sure hope I shoot one this year. I have had 5 opportunities so far but I want a large bear.

I hear the kids getting in the fridge I need to tell them STOP! It's bad enough they start popping the bears popcorn and eating it when I'm not around.

Bear season brings out the best in me. LOL