Thread: Shrimp pots stolen

Default Shrimp pots stolen

We put 2 sets down just north of Jackpot island (south end of Dangerous passage) Friday night. Next morning, one set (closest to the island) was missing. We had 3 of Steve’s brand new pots on it weighted down w/ 20 lbs of extra weight on 900 ft of line in 650 ft of water. The other set about 1/3 mile away at about 680 ft was fine. Spent a couple of hours cruising around looking for our buoy with no luck. Saw lots of other shrimpers in the area. I was wondering if someone else had a similar mishap this past weekend out on the Sound?

Other than that, it was a great trip. Couldn’t have asked for a better weather. Only got 3 gallons of shrimp with the remaining set, but managed 13 small halibut, a limit of yellow eye, some pacific cod, rock fish, one skate and one black bear. The wildlife was out on full display with humpbacks rolling, porpoises putting on a show around the boat, otters and sea lions. But this time we were treated to an adult orca bull who made several vertical jumps straight out of the water not far from the boat. This might have contributed to us not being able to catch anything while trolling for kings/chum in the area.

If it wasn’t for the lost pots, it would’ve been almost a perfect season opener for us.

Yev

Just a thought here, but 900 feet of line fishing in 650 feet of water is not enough if you have three pots attached IMO. This seems to come up each year. Other than the missing pots, it sure sounds like you had a stellar weekend.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Saw one adrift last week out there...radioed the boat to come get it...the ice catches and drags `em pretty good.

Glad to hear you were catching fish...we fished the area hard for 3 hours and caught nothing.

A buddy of mine had some pots hang up really bad in that area once. Maybe next time you head that way, check at low tide to make sure they're not still there. Could be that if you had leaded line the line was hanging straight down and got snagged right where it reached bottom. Then it wouldn't matter how much extra line you had, you could still get hung up and your buoy not show at anything but low tide.

You see, this is not my first season shrimping the area, and I was quite surprised to have lost my pots this way. I tie the buoy to 600ft of sinking line, then another 300 ft of floating line that ends w/ 3 pots. We were looking for them at the low tide. I pulled in about 100 ft of "slack" line from the 2nd set before engaging the pot puller.
    Of course, I'll look for them again when we are back there, hopefully this Memorial weekend. I had my phone # on the buoy - maybe I'll get that call just yet.

Default 900 feet

900 feet should be plenty of line for 650 feet of water with the right buoy as long as you don't put the pots 100 feet apart. If you spaced them 50 feet apart you should be fine. The weight of the pots is probably more important since you only launched three pots.

But why 650 feet of water???

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    900 feet should be plenty of line for 650 feet of water with the right buoy as long as you don't put the pots 100 feet apart. If you spaced them 50 feet apart you should be fine. The weight of the pots is probably more important since you only launched three pots.

But why 650 feet of water???
    Dave,
    We fish quite a bit deeper on this side of the sound than you guys in Valdez. If i remember correctly the current tends to run pretty good at times where he was fishing.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thats usually close to where I drop my pots before going out fishing. I have not had any problems before but you never know about some of the low life people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_ak View Post
    We put 2 sets down just north of Jackpot island (south end of Dangerous passage) Friday night. Next morning, one set (closest to the island) was missing. We had 3 of Steve’s brand new pots on it weighted down w/ 20 lbs of extra weight on 900 ft of line in 650 ft of water. The other set about 1/3 mile away at about 680 ft was fine. Spent a couple of hours cruising around looking for our buoy with no luck. Saw lots of other shrimpers in the area. I was wondering if someone else had a similar mishap this past weekend out on the Sound?

Other than that, it was a great trip. Couldn’t have asked for a better weather. Only got 3 gallons of shrimp with the remaining set, but managed 13 small halibut, a limit of yellow eye, some pacific cod, rock fish, one skate and one black bear. The wildlife was out on full display with humpbacks rolling, porpoises putting on a show around the boat, otters and sea lions. But this time we were treated to an adult orca bull who made several vertical jumps straight out of the water not far from the boat. This might have contributed to us not being able to catch anything while trolling for kings/chum in the area.

If it wasn’t for the lost pots, it would’ve been almost a perfect season opener for us.

Yev

Your pots were not that far from where the shrimp pot thieves were caught in the act last year.