Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Illustrate a Point...

Default To Illustrate a Point...

We harp all the time that just because there are grizzly bears at your bait it does not mean the black bears will not come in. Here are a couple of pics of a HUGE interior grizzly bear...like they don't come much bigger...

The first pics show how freaking big this bear is....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Now....

This is a different night...but look at the times on tfe camera. Big gizz in and leaves...dinky black bear in....

These are our first grizz pics of the seaon, and luckily it looks like they moved on based on the condition of the site in the next couple of nights. But again...the black bears just wait for the grizzlies to leave before they come in.

Default Holy crapola!

He is HUGE! Feeding him would cost an arm and a leg. Can you imagine sitting there and watching him come in to destroy a bait site? I am so glad I don't have him or his brothers coming in to our diner. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    He is HUGE! Feeding him would cost an arm and a leg. Can you imagine sitting there and watching him come in to destroy a bait site? I am so glad I don't have him or his brothers coming in to our diner. Yet.
    Shoot...We would let him walk in...get some good video and scare him off...that costs too much freaking money! It looks like they moved on though....

Default That is a.........

BEAST!!!!!!! WOW! Some serious genetics there!

Post Grizz in then Blackies

3 Grizz and 4 Blacks on this site. Shut down my other site due to Grizz infestation so the bait set aside from that one is helping maintain the onslaught that this one is getting.

AK145, We noticed the same thing we had a sow brown with 2 cubs and a big boar on our bait for over 28 hours. At 11:30 at night a black boar shows up 15 minutes after the sow left. It looked like they were playing tag for few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysack View Post
    AK145, We noticed the same thing we had a sow brown with 2 cubs and a big boar on our bait for over 28 hours. At 11:30 at night a black boar shows up 15 minutes after the sow left. It looked like they were playing tag for few hours.
    Yup....

I guess I'm just trying to make the point....we hear so much on here that "my bait has grizzlies so I'm not going to bait for a while because no black bears will come in"...kind of comments.

We run 6-7 baits and most last year had grizzlies on them at one time or another. We sat...litterally...two weeks straight last year with hunters and never saw a grizzly.

But yea....that is a big bear....

Default I am going with photo shopped

Again. I just can see no other way to prove it than to sit on your bait myself.
    Still standing by the phone waiting for it to ring.........

If the rules changed to take grizzly over bait in your area, would you?

And of all the grizzlies that you caught on film, you said you never saw one? Did the cameras catch them coming in later after you left or had they just quit coming in?
    What do you think you would have to do to catch a big grizzly on your bait, again assuming it were legal to take one?

Default Hopefully they will legalize

some sort of harvest of grizz over bait. Maybe a 1 every 4 years or something. Probably the best way to harvest one is to have your stand about 100 yards away from the bait. I think the grizz would feel much safer to go in if you are further from the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Again. I just can see no other way to prove it than to sit on your bait myself.
    Still standing by the phone waiting for it to ring.........

If the rules changed to take grizzly over bait in your area, would you?

And of all the grizzlies that you caught on film, you said you never saw one? Did the cameras catch them coming in later after you left or had they just quit coming in?
    What do you think you would have to do to catch a big grizzly on your bait, again assuming it were legal to take one?
    Heck yea I would take one over bait...why not? I sure wouldn't feel guilty about shooting a grizzly over bait...no more than a black bear...or a big white tail over a food plot...or a hog over a corn pile...

Yea...we never saw one last year and had grizzlies on 4 different baits. We think the reason is they just don't stay in the area very long. IMHO, grizzlies just don't stick to the same pattern of coming in like the black bears do...tend to roam more...etc. We think once the other food sources pop up and breeding season really kicks in they have other places to get food and women on their mind. Just an opinion though....

These bears are a great example....

On two nights they came into this bait...tore the crap out of it, eventually dumping both drums in the creek (breaking a chain in the process but we found both drums) and then moved on. Two nights later....on a bait 6-7 miles away the same two bears are on it. We are about positive because of the size of the boar and the color. The direction they headed is from the mountains toward the Yukon River. I just think they are moving through from the mountains down to the river...prolly like they do every year...to find different summer food sources.

But heck, what do I know...just a good guess ...I hope...

Here is another pic...you tell me...same bear??? Think so....also the sow looks so small compared to him...gotta be the same two.

That 907 scent bell is about 10-11 feet up there....

Maybe its just me, but he doesn't look HUGE to me....

Not really a belly dragger or anything...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Maybe its just me, but he doesn't look HUGE to me....

Not really a belly dragger or anything...
    yeah i thnk that T post got hammered down to about 24 inches
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    yeah i thnk that T post got hammered down to about 24 inches
    Whaddaya think this 'hog' would square at?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Whaddaya think this 'hog' would square at?
    8 foot.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The second night I had my dad at my stand near Valdez a big brown bear came in. He came in like he owned the place. I thought, well there goes my dads chance at getting a bear. After video taping him for about ten minutes I yelled at him and he took off a running. Less than five minutes later I had two blackies come in then two more after that. The brownie did try to come back in but spooked out when we he saw us move in the stand (from about ten feet away).
    So I know that even if you have brown bears coming in, the blackies will wait for their opportunity for an easy meal.

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    We harp all the time that just because there are grizzly bears at your bait it does not mean the black bears will not come in. Here are a couple of pics of a HUGE interior grizzly bear...like they don't come much bigger...

The first pics show how freaking big this bear is....
    That's one HUGE interior bear! Please post this in the Browns for the Board of Game thread. The pic below of him standing up is equally impressive.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default That is a solid

8'+ grizz. There is no way that it is less than that. Might even be closer to 9'. That is a whopper of a bear! I just took one near that size. It was a BEAST, but that one looks bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    I just took one near that size. It was a BEAST, but that one looks bigger.
    Pics and story, please

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    8'+ grizz. There is no way that it is less than that. Might even be closer to 9'. That is a whopper of a bear! I just took one near that size. It was a BEAST, but that one looks bigger.
    You can't make that statement with no pictures...I call BS until then! lol....

I know you know how to post pics brother!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast