Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what power BINOCULARS to get

Default what power BINOCULARS to get

i whated to see what your opinons are on some of the binoculars you have used.i need to get a pair for my september goat hunt,i dont know what power to get.i like nikon products but i want to here what you guys recommend.

thanks
    bob

I bought leica 8x42's. I checked out every other bino on the market from 200-2000 $$ the leica was the best to my eye, the 8x did better in the sun to me than did the 10x and was a bit more steady. I bought the bn series which were enough clearer to me to justify the extra weight, since the ultravids and el's hit the market I think it is just about up to you to go have a peek. I have noticed superiority in the same brand/power so buy the ones you look at and like on the spot.

I went with a 10X42. I definately like seeing that much closer. The 12X42 were just a little to big for me. I got the Nikon Monarch ATB (all terrain binocular) For the price i dont think you can get too much of a better package, for atleast what i found. THese are super comfortable to your eyes. THey are said to be "100 percent waterproof/fog-proof/shock-proof for outstanding all-weather capability;" There was also a warranty that comes with them but i forget what they said. I used mine quite a bit last year for moose and they did really well in the early early morning looking for those white tines in the treeline. good luck vance

8 or 10 x 40's. 10's are a little harder to hold steady. What ever you do, DO NOT get 12 x's. I bought a pair of 12 x 50 Lecia's once against the advice of my friends and I had to sell them within a few months at a nice loss. Simply to much magification to hold steady.
    I prefer the 10's over the 8's but the 8's can weigh a lot less.
    Tennessee

Default 8x

Everybody will have an opinion on the brand (mine are Leica), but since you like Nikon, I'd check out their 8x42 Premier LX L optic. I believe 8x is a better all-around choice for a hunting binocular. With the 8x you get a wider field of view, lighter weight/size, and most importantly a more stable image. If you need to check something out closer than an 8x will allow, get out your spotting scope.

Default best warrenty

My wife baught me a pair of Nikon prostaff for my birthday last summer. I don't have them at hand right now but believe they are 10x40. I love them. What is great about Nikon is there no fault warrenty. I left mine on the roof of my car the second weekend that I had them. They fell off the roof while I was driving down the Seward on my way to the Russian. I heard them fall off but did not realize what the sound was until I had allready got to the river. I called my wife and reluctantly told her what happened. (We will leave here initial opion out of this) I asked if she would go to the spot where I heard what had to have been them falling off the roof of the car. She did and found pieces of what could have been Bino's. It was like a lens cap, the rubber case to one side and the strap. When I got back from fishing I took the box and looked at it. On the front it said No Fault warrenty. So I said what the heck lets what they will do. Totally expecting Nikon to laugh and send me back the peices. What happened was the exact opposite. About a week later I recieved a letter saying that they could not repair my Bino's (no really) but for a $10 service fee and $10 shipping total $20 they would send me a brand new pair.

So I will probably never buy optics from another company

Default What power binoculars?

Years ago, about the only power that was readily available were 7X35's...seemed like everyone carried Bushnells. They were inexpensive and not all that great..at least compared to what's out there today. I think it all depends on what you want them for. Hunting or bird watching, you seem to spend lots of time looking through them and the higher powered ones are more difficult to hold steady and the cheaper ones made your eyes tired in a hurry. Talk to boaters and they'll tell you 7X50's are best. Low power; big objective lens...and for the most part, they do make the best compromise on a boat. Last year I bought a pair of Nikon Stabileyes 14X40 and they are without a doubt, fabulous....and heavy. I'd have more than pair, one for hunting (probably Leicas or Swarovski's...in a compact size, no more than 8X), then an all-around (camp) pair, bigger is fine here, since I'm not carrying them too far and the stabilized ones for cars/boats (Canon, Fujinon or Nikon). Like guns, cars, boats and alot of other things, you can't have just one!

Default too many guns?

Quote Originally Posted by SE Mike View Post
    Like guns, cars, boats and alot of other things, you can't have just one!
    Exactly what I keep trying to explain to my wife!

Default Get what you can afford...

Optics are one of those items you don't want to skimp on. Quality form reputable manufacturers is always my first concern. I too am not brand loyal for I have had some high end European optics fail me when I needed them most. While searching, ensure a good fit. Ensure you have the power maxed out to simulate a long range view. I concentrate on sale adds or banners inside stores or signs outside the store. Image clarity should be crisp, most of all, while on high magnification, study images that require attention to detail, such as the examples I listed earlier. The ability to concentrate your observation vs what the optics do for you will become clear. If you notice eye strain, you will regret the purchase. Try other brands in the same manner until you find one that is the most comfortable for your eyes. No two eyes are alike, they must be an extension of your viewing pleasure, not a headache waiting to happen.
    As for size, the 10x42s are my choice. Good luck with your search...

one thing to keep in mind is that quality is 10x more important than power. that said, I have friends with 20x60 simmons bino's that can not see the detail that I do with my 8x leicas. I had 10x50 burris signatures and 10x30 zeiss diafuns, and 12x50 redfields.....sold them all cause if you can't see it with a pair of leica 8x42's it is because it is not there.

the premier series nikon is getting good reviews

all the top end bino's have no fault warrenty, but if you drop over a grand on bino's you prolly will not leave them on the roof!

Smile Love 'em

I love my 10x42 el Swarv's, wouldn't trade them for anything---well, maybe a pair of Geovids.

Thumbs up Zeiss 10x40

I own a pair of Zeiss 10x40 and they do the job nicely. I like their ability to open up the field of view in dim light like we get up here in NW Alaska. I looked real hard a pair of Burris and they would be a close second. As you can tell I am in the upper mid priced optic range. Price being no barrier it would be Leica for sure!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com

Your best option in camp a float hunting rentals!

Without comment on brand....I prefer 10 power. I've used 8's. I like 10's better.

10 power is my choice for an "all-around" Alaskan bino........

I have to also vote for 10 power. There can be a lot of empty space between you and the game.

thanks alot for all of your opinions im going to head out to look through the 8X and 10X bino`s to see what one works for me.i will post back to let you know what i went with,thanks again.
    bob

Go for 8x or 10x40,good all around power

I have swaro EL 8.5X42 and there great. Also I own Nikon 8x42 ATB. IMHO Nikon are the best value for the $. Swarovski are simply the best!.

i started with 8x and it was not enough power and have used the 10x since and have never looked back.

buy cheap, buy twice,

Default binocular power

I see one post above saying maybe he would trade his Swarovski for a pair of ultravids why? I am debating to get either the ultravids 10 by 42 or the Swarovski 10 by 42 they both look and felt great. The price is withing 50 dollars. From what i can see they have the exact same specifications. One is a half ounce bigger. So from all points i am at a cross roads. I have just always been under the perception that Swarovski was the best there is and all others were less, but seems like the ultravids are right there. Opinions? Thanks Chef Viktor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast