Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: 1st one down for the season.

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default 1st one down for the season.

    Friday afternoon (21st of May) Vince, Ray my hunting partner Mark and I met up together and headed out to set our first bait stands of the season.

    Upon arriving we set camp up for a good nights sleep, and we ended up baiting our stand (Mark's and I) and this was 4am by now the 22nd of May.

    After this we where alll pretty tuckered out and settled in camp for a nights rest.A few hours later we all kinda woke up together and decided we needed more fuel since I burned more than I thought because of everything we hauled in, Mark and I went back to the trucks for fuel and Vince and ray headed out on there own adventure.

    We finally beach the boat at camp only to hear that Zodiac we where loaned so graciously by another forum member....( Thanks Barry )

    Vince and Ray where excited about a great bait site and we all headed out to bait their stand.As we finished up we went and checked on our site only to find out it was hit no less than 10 hours sitting.Get this, this pile of dog food was coverd on bread and now there is a divet in the center where and thats where I threw the baitem ball in it for the picture.
    Anyhow we get back to camp and Mark and I decided to sit on it, and Vince and Ray where gonna take a nap.

    Three hours forty five a beast of a boar comes walking in and let me tell you, I never get buck fever and because this bear looked beefy as hell and only 20 yards away sniffing the air and groaning that I got so excited and looked at Mark telling him to look at my hand.Dang! it was shaking like crazy.
    Well two more steps and 2 shots from the 45-70.Wahoo!..............but wait there's more.




    As Im standing at the site where I hit it I hear hey! hey! hey! and snapping fingers and look at Mark who is wide eyed and pointing saying hes coming back, he's coming back. I take a knee and he says something like its right there coming at you....one more look and I spotted the bear on the same trail as me and BOOM! 3rd shot and as I lever the 45-70 he drops his head and charges me BOOM! my 4th sbot and he's down.


    Preliminary measurements are 6 foot with a 17 5/16th inch skull.And here is the hole in his head from that 45-70.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Dang! Wham bam!! bam, bam bam!! Sounds like a heck of a hunt guys...whoowhee... Nice color on that bear huh?!

  3. #3

    Default

    very pretty bear man! Always loved bears with color, but heck even a straight up black as nite one would be fun to see right now. CHecked my bait yesterday finally, still nothing! UGG! Guess I'm gonna stick out my 2nd one tomorrow and see what happens.

  4. #4
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    awesome Job guys. That is a great bear Dan. Jason and I are down south and hope to see a few over the next few days. Hope Vince and Ray have some luck also.

    Steve

  5. #5
    Member baitem907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    425

    Default

    I can just see Ray shaking like a leaf on a tree. The ol' geezer weighs about a buck!
    Nice bear Dan! Congrats and thanks for sharing
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

  6. #6
    Member elkmasterwyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SW Wyoming
    Posts
    98

    Default

    great bear!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    127

    Default

    congrats. Great looking bear. Cant wait for my turn to post a story on my first bear.

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    I can just see Ray shaking like a leaf on a tree. The ol' geezer weighs about a buck!
    Nice bear Dan! Congrats and thanks for sharing
    LOL ray did well enough this first weekend... the 40lb sweet feed was about max load for him...


    had a great time with dan and really was 13 hours after the bait was set first bear down.


    our site had 2 different sets of fresh tracks in the creek bottom we set on and lots of sign around the stand so expect good results next weekend...


    Dan did use Baitems anise burn formula jess sent me to try out, and the bear was in with in two hours of that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9
    Member AK145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Dang you're a handsome man! I mean...the beat is nice!

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Dang you're a handsome man! I mean...the beat is nice!

    YOU KNOW WHAT? being in the tent next to his.... i heard much of the similar comments all weekend...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Gorgeous bear

    And a big thumbs up to your buddy who was had his eyes open to let you know that big guys was comin back, that's a good partner.

  12. #12

    Default

    Good job guys!

  13. #13

    Default

    Hey nice bear and a good story to go with it. congrats

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Great bear man its great seein a cinnimon bear every now and then

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FAI
    Posts
    2,294

    Default HOOOOO Baby

    That is sweet. Nice photos, and a big congrats to all of you.
    My buddy got a cinnamon too. He said it is 6'6" w/ a 18 9/16" skull. I'll be happy if I get to sit and see a sow w/ cubs. Never know though.
    Good luck next weekend.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    That is sweet. Nice photos, and a big congrats to all of you.
    My buddy got a cinnamon too. He said it is 6'6" w/ a 18 9/16" skull. I'll be happy if I get to sit and see a sow w/ cubs. Never know though.
    Good luck next weekend.
    Thanks...well thats better than seeing a boar with cubs
    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    very pretty bear man! Always loved bears with color, but heck even a straight up black as nite one would be fun to see right now. CHecked my bait yesterday finally, still nothing! UGG! Guess I'm gonna stick out my 2nd one tomorrow and see what happens.
    Thanks Trad...I love all them color bears there so cool. That bear had me shaking now that was cool. dude try doing aan anise burn also, and good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Dang! Wham bam!! bam, bam bam!! Sounds like a heck of a hunt guys...whoowhee... Nice color on that bear huh?!
    Thanks alot snyd.yeah I love the color of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    awesome Job guys. That is a great bear Dan. Jason and I are down south and hope to see a few over the next few days. Hope Vince and Ray have some luck also.
    Thanks stid. tell Jason I said howdy and good luck to you fellas. We are trying to get Ray a bear
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    I can just see Ray shaking like a leaf on a tree. The ol' geezer weighs about a buck!
    Nice bear Dan! Congrats and thanks for sharing
    thanks a million. you know I took one of those bait bells as I call em cause your bait ball is shaped like a bell anyhow I soaked that bell in the river like 10 minutes and left it in the bag. I broke it in big chunks and left that on the pile of dog food. My aim was to see what the bears would do.
    Anyhow after about two hours my burn was smoking bad and I thought Id go stir it and as I was doing this I picked one of those chunks of the bell and started to burn it, and then half a bottle of your anise burn. I swear that bear came in with his head held high and you could hear him sucking wind.....what a rush.
    Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    great bear!
    Thanks elk
    Quote Originally Posted by AKHuntressNP View Post
    congrats. Great looking bear. Cant wait for my turn to post a story on my first bear.
    thanks huntress, and I cant wait either, I wish yu the best of luck and may your first one be 6 foot 10 with a 20 and 13/16th skull
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL ray did well enough this first weekend... the 40lb sweet feed was about max load for him...
    had a great time with dan and really was 13 hours after the bait was set first bear down.
    our site had 2 different sets of fresh tracks in the creek bottom we set on and lots of sign around the stand so expect good results next weekend...
    Dan did use Baitems anise burn formula jess sent me to try out, and the bear was in with in two hours of that.
    HA whatever hahahahaha! I think that 10 pound bag of popcorn wore him out. he's such a riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    Dang you're a handsome man! I mean...the beat is nice!
    I have your handsome. btw! what BEAT is nice? thats all Im gonna say about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    YOU KNOW WHAT? being in the tent next to his.... i heard much of the similar comments all weekend...
    what goes on in the tent stays in the tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    And a big thumbs up to your buddy who was had his eyes open to let you know that big guys was comin back, that's a good partner.
    Im with you on that Catch It. Good thing I told him to watch my perimeter and dang good thing he didnt stay behind in the blind like I wanted him to. Cant get no better buddy than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Good job guys!
    Thanks bud. Hunter was over hear talking some stuff about you and your bear today hahahha, man you gotta love kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by milpol78 View Post
    Hey nice bear and a good story to go with it. congrats
    Thanks alot bud. I hope your dad gets his bear when he gets up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by edog1605 View Post
    Great bear man its great seein a cinnimon bear every now and then
    Thanks edog, Id sure like to see one everytime, but for my first one Ive ever seen, Im stoked.

  17. #17

    Default Question?

    Not trying to be an arse here, but was trying to understand your story. You shot 4 times. Did you hit it before it charged you? I was not sure it if was hit or not. Not trying to bust your balls, just wondering??

    By the way, nice bear! That is a good above average interior bear!

  18. #18
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Not trying to be an arse here, but was trying to understand your story. You shot 4 times. Did you hit it before it charged you? I was not sure it if was hit or not. Not trying to bust your balls, just wondering??

    By the way, nice bear! That is a good above average interior bear!
    YEAH HE HIT IT EVERY TIME.

    I should know he made me clean it after he sliced (peeled skin layer offf and cried like baby) his poor little finggy with my knife'
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  19. #19
    Member TRKYHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eielson AFB
    Posts
    53

    Default hit it

    I saw the hide. Dan hit it each time adn shot placement wasn't bad. Just a stubborn bear.

    Dan - hope you guys have good luck this weekend too. Maybe I'll see you at Kevin's again.

    Gary

  20. #20

    Default Thanks guys!

    That was a tough bear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •