Thread: My First Kill

Default My First Kill

The husband and I went up to Alpine Creek Lodge this weekend for our anniversary - a nice getaway, and a bit of hunting to boot. It was our second day out there that I got my first kill.

I was walking along an ATV trail when I spotted it out of the corner of my eye. Excited, I used my "amazing" stalking skills to get closer, lifted my shotgun and knocked it right out of the tree. Yes, there I was, having mastered that most fearsome of Alaskan animals, the dreaded great northern... porcupine.

In all seriousness, it's probably good that a porky was my first... I tell you, I spent a long time staring at that thing, trying to nerve myself up to actually shoot it. Anything else would have just run off! I'm excited to experiment with the meat. If nothing else, I'm sure it'll be great in chili!

Anyway, that porcupine was all we went home with. Saw lots of bear sign, but no actual bears. Lots of caribou though! Alpine Creek Lodge was great, fantastic place to stay. If you're in the area, definitely check it out!

Default Porky

Porky stew for you, congrats on your first.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

I have eaten worse things than a porky and one very bad fishing trip a porky tasted like the finest meat I had ever eaten

Default great

great way to spend an anniversary. Sounds like you might be a keeper Seriouly, congrats and thanks for sharing. Keep it up and you should be ready for the fall.

Default Can be very tasty!

Awhile back, I was treated to a meal of porcupine liver, fried up with some sausage, diced potatoes, and onions. The sausage lent a savory flavor, without covering up the liver, which was surprisingly good.

You're maybe familiar with meat prep, but here's an old thread on cooking/eating porcupine:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=68847

Congratulations.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yup i have eaten it too... soaked in milk 24 hours and fried in lots of butter then BBQd.... every taste good with BBQ
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congratulations on your first kill. Enjoy the porcupine chili!

Default Porcupine is fine fare

Congrats,

I took one a few years ago to see what they taste like (and the quills) and it was really really good. The one I got was sweet and rich and tasty. I caught some guff (good natured) from some of the older guys in town, they said you need to leave em alone cuz if you are ever caught out in the bush with no food, they are the only thing you can club to death that won't kill you first

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Congrats,

I took one a few years ago to see what they taste like (and the quills) and it was really really good. The one I got was sweet and rich and tasty. I caught some guff (good natured) from some of the older guys in town, they said you need to leave em alone cuz if you are ever caught out in the bush with no food, they are the only thing you can club to death that won't kill you first
    You know, I heard that too, about them being survival food because they're so easy to kill. Mine certainly just sat there and watched me, but sure enough, the one my husband tried to get did a diving leap to the ground and booked it out of there! I never thought they could move that fast!

You look too old to wear your cap backwards!
    Did you find the meat to your liking?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    hey mike?

is it ever ok to tell a lady she looks to old?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Gotta wear the cap backwards or the visor will block your face for the photo.

Awesome porky by the way. Saved some tree tops from being eaten bare I am sure. Congrats.

It doesn't fit right when I wear it forward.

Grilled up a bit tonight. Tasted pretty much like pork to me!